Poor insulation?

Cuong Nguyen

Summer's here and having a black pathfinder doesn't really help. My AC is blowing somewhat not so nominal (45-50*F) but it's still rather warm in there. My back gets sweaty (cloth seats) and it's not as cool in the back for the passengers. I have legal tint 35% in the front and I think the same for the back. Anyone have this problem?

mine is worse, AC not cooling below 54, no tint, black also, left a thermometer in truck the other day and it was up to 140 degrees !! My sentra with tint (20%) got up to 118

Does dynamat or the alternate roofing material insulate that well? Also once stuck to the roof will it stay? I would be concerned that sitting in the sun would melt the tar and let it drop off. I'd hate to come back to my pathy in a parking lot and find that the liner fell and I had sticky tar all over everything. I have all the panels out of my pathy right now to install the roof rack so now would be the best time to put it.

James

I took the Pathfinder to Bonnaroo a couple times, using it to sleep in. On the first morning at 8AM we woke up completely drenched in sweat, it must have already been well above 110 in there with 3 people... thats TN for you. So we taped a bunch of tin foil all over the roof, windows, etc. Not only did it make the Pathfinder super easy to spot in a sea of cars, but it kept it cool and dark well until our hangovers wore off. These days I search high and low for the parking lot with shade.

I'll tell you me and my buddy were talking about the sun roof shade and he was saying how it would help, but that black stuff they have on the glass does block out a lot of the sun as when I put my hand on the glass in the middle of the day down here in Florida it wasn't even hot.

Does dynamat or the alternate roofing material insulate that well? Also once stuck to the roof will it stay? I would be concerned that sitting in the sun would melt the tar and let it drop off. I'd hate to come back to my pathy in a parking lot and find that the liner fell and I had sticky tar all over everything. I have all the panels out of my pathy right now to install the roof rack so now would be the best time to put it.

James

Dynamat is supposed to have insulating qualities - how good i dont know.

It will stay stuck for sure. Best dynamat product to insulate with is Dynaliner - that is specifically keeping the car cool.

Ever had the headliner out? There is nothing beyond the liner itself insulating the cabin from the top. And even less on the sides ;)

Yeah, when I had mine out before I did this:

Roofinsul.jpg

Just removed it all in prep for cutting the top off.

Nice GrimGreg, what material did you use and how noticeable of a difference did it make?

I used some stuff I got at the part store on a roll, about 3/4" thick fiberous stuff with the foil back. It was $11 for the roll IIRC. Never noticed much difference in summer (no AC), but winter it kept the heat a little longer after being parked for a bit then getting back in.

Yeah, when I had mine out before I did this:

Roofinsul.jpg

Just removed it all in prep for cutting the top off.

I knew one of y'all had done the roof with this stuff. This is the one from the hardware store that you didn't have to heat right? So it stayed in place and was still stuck when you removed it?

James

I knew one of y'all had done the roof with this stuff. This is the one from the hardware store that you didn't have to heat right? So it stayed in place and was still stuck when you removed it?

James

It wasn't self stick, I used spray adhesive to stick it in place. I think it is actually sold to replace the under hood insulation mat.

Hm.. I'll have to look it up. been looking around on the internet and JC Whitney has something similar for like 100 bucks a roll...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/heat/sound-insulation/p2010475.jcwx#

I'm going to have to hit up the auto store and see if they carry that stuff you used.

Been looking around at Lowes. Saw the peel and seal stuff. Might use this stuff on the floors and doors. Not sure if I would want to use it on the roof due to the heat and not wanting it to fall off.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326-PS625_0_?productId=1018733&Ntt=peel%20seal&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=peel%20seal$y=0$x=0

Just got to replace the windshield and fix the rust hole to stock the leaking onto the floors...now.

P1020684.jpg

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

That peel and seal is all I can find at lowes or home depot around here. I couldn't find the mid ply stuff I found mentioned in another thread. It might not be sold around here, it's not often we have ice on our roof in this part of the country. I got a roll of the peel and seal and will see how that works.

James

• 8 years later...

Revisiting this again. I need to do some body work on the roof since I have rust issues around the windshield and holes I have to patch from the stock roof rack.

Thinking about installing this to the roof:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-16-in-x-25-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-with-Staple-Tab-ST16025/

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-48-in-x-25-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-BP48025/

then I just found this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTouch-48-in-x-75-ft-Radiant-Barrier-30000-11475/100656747

which I believe is what GrimGreg used. I read the reviews and a lot of folks used this for sound deadening which is also what I was looking for.

• Like 1

Looks like a good way to go. I added some raammat to my roof when I had the truck torn apart, but I didn't really live with the truck beforehand (and the truck before it was white) so I don't know if it's helping much. One thing I noticed, though, was that the roof ribs had come unglued from the sheet metal, so I reglued those with seam sealer before putting it back together. This was more about noise than heat but worth taking a look at while you've got it open.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Looks like a good way to go. I added some raammat to my roof when I had the truck torn apart, but I didn't really live with the truck beforehand (and the truck before it was white) so I don't know if it's helping much. One thing I noticed, though, was that the roof ribs had come unglued from the sheet metal, so I reglued those with seam sealer before putting it back together. This was more about noise than heat but worth taking a look at while you've got it open.

It's a win-win if I can knock down two birds with one stone. The heat is tolerable but the noise is unbearable. It doesn't help either that I have developed an exhaust leak on the passenger side header.

On 7/5/2018 at 12:25 PM, Cuong Nguyen said:

Revisiting this again. I need to do some body work on the roof since I have rust issues around the windshield and holes I have to patch from the stock roof rack.

Thinking about installing this to the roof:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-16-in-x-25-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-with-Staple-Tab-ST16025/

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-48-in-x-25-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-BP48025/

then I just found this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTouch-48-in-x-75-ft-Radiant-Barrier-30000-11475/100656747

which I believe is what GrimGreg used. I read the reviews and a lot of folks used this for sound deadening which is also what I was looking for.

I used the first link in your post. I put the dynamat first then the shiny bubble wrap insulation. Cant say if it makes a difference though, I did this right after I bought the truck. Still hot as hell when I leave it parked in the Louisiana sun!  My AC never worked really good, It's converted from R12 and I have too much oil in the system but It does keep me cool enough not to sweat. I just think to myself that it would be a lot hotter if I wouldn't have put the insulation!