How To Trans Cooler

rocknforchrist

Hey fellas. Just had some questions. I've searched old threads and it seems my AT pathfinder needs to have a better trans cooler put on. I know this is something I could install but I'd like some info on installation, and maybe some pictures of an install. Also where should I look for a t cooler and how much is a decent price. My new pathfinder is frame rust free and I look forward to fixing some minor things on it to get it running well.

Edited by rocknforchrist

there was a big thread about the tranny coolers and someone is using 2 out of a ford car but I can't find it and am looking for the thread also. Anyone know where it is please??

Here's one on reviews to give you a suggestion for what to buy and how much you will be looking at spending.

Review

And Hands down one of the best how to's I've looked at for a person that doesnt know what to do is from Doctor Bills Thread. I have this one Bookmarked because its good to use for reference for anyone attempting a Timing belt job and more. Once again, Nice work Doctor Bill. PLEASE leave all your photo's up wherever you have them posted forever.

Doctor Bill's AT Transmission cooler starts on page 3ish.

Good luck and thank those that have spent their time to make a good how to for you.

+1 on DoctorBill's authority, altho you don't need to purchase a brand new cooler like he did. I pulled a tranny cooler out of a Ford Explorer in the junkyard, spent about 8 bucks on 2 3' lengths of transmission fluid line, and rigged mine up in front of my radiators, works great. It's actually a fairly simple procedure, check out the writeup and ask if you have any further questions.

WOW! Thanks Dr.Bill for that info...and the pics, really a great thread! If this much info was given on more things i wouldn't hesitate working on anything. And hailing from the "ShowMe" state pictures help...HarHar!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just installed mine today, meant to get the one rated at 16k GVWR but accidentally got the 12k one, it should be well enough. As the rig only weighs 4200 and I don't think I'll be towing 8k pounds of anything.

And pics of my install, I put it between the AC condenser and the radiator, there was just enough room for it to fit!

I ran the lines under the radiator, again, just enough room for that.

DSCN6341.jpg

DSCN6342.jpg

Edited by silverton

Silverton:

That cooler is not nearly big enough to do the job adequately by itself. Please see the thread I linked in one of my earlier posts on this thread. No Joke. You need to either get a much larger one (or two) coolers, especially since you are installing it behind the AC condenser, which reduces its efficiency, and re-hook up the radiator transmission cooler into the loop before the fluid goes to the coolers. You upgraded your transmission, it would be a shame to burn it out on the first long climb you do this summer.

run it inline with the radiator or get another cooler and piggy back it

i have a 24,000 GVW cooler and i run it inline with the stock tube through the radiator

i do have a new radiator though

I may add one later on down the road, just from what is being suggested here. But I will state, column heat is down to nil, about that of cabin temp, if not less. where as before, the console was very warm to the touch.

run it inline with the radiator or get another cooler and piggy back it

i have a 24,000 GVW cooler and i run it inline with the stock tube through the radiator

i do have a new radiator though

Do not run it inline with the radiator, you'd effectively be in the same situation as you would be without the aftermarket cooler. Always bypass the stock Nissan cooler...

Unless like you said, you have a brand new radiator. It's not worth the risk to use an old original cooler in a new set up.

• 3 weeks later...

I put mine out in front....I paid for an 18k or something but they sent me a 21 or 22k....fine w/me!

I ran my cooler lines through the bumper bracket holes in the support, and they are nice and out of the way, safe from danger there...installed a cheapo HF gauge which works flawlessly, and gotta change the fluid one more time yet.

That cooler doesn't look too small to me....looks like the same size as mine (although I have a fin type, not tube and fin)

I did not have enough room out front to mount mine, so I sandwiched it between the evaporator and the radiator. Works great. I do not feel the extreme heat coming from the hump as I used too...

OSR, where did you mount your gauge? Got any pics?

I put mine out in front....I paid for an 18k or something but they sent me a 21 or 22k....fine w/me!

I ran my cooler lines through the bumper bracket holes in the support, and they are nice and out of the way, safe from danger there...installed a cheapo HF gauge which works flawlessly, and gotta change the fluid one more time yet.

That cooler doesn't look too small to me....looks like the same size as mine (although I have a fin type, not tube and fin)

The fin types are supposedly more efficient radiators than the tube&fin designs, so for a given size, you get more heat rejection. Also, when the cooler is mounted behind the AC condenser, its de-rated to 70% of the stated capacity it would have if it were in the front getting the coolest air possible.

I've also been wondering about Radiators lately. From what I understand, The Stock Tranny Cooler is built into the Radiator unit for our vehicles and I've been wondering if there are different Rads for Manual and Auto's. If they are different then perhaps the Manual versions are a slimmer design sparing a little more room to mount. This is all speculation of course. Can anyone Confirm?

I did not have enough room out front to mount mine, so I sandwiched it between the evaporator and the radiator. Works great. I do not feel the extreme heat coming from the hump as I used too...

OSR, where did you mount your gauge? Got any pics?

Here is a thread for that...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=24503

I've also been wondering about Radiators lately. From what I understand, The Stock Tranny Cooler is built into the Radiator unit for our vehicles and I've been wondering if there are different Rads for Manual and Auto's. If they are different then perhaps the Manual versions are a slimmer design sparing a little more room to mount. This is all speculation of course. Can anyone Confirm?

It is the same radiator for the manual and AT trannys. If you have an MT, you just ignore or plug the two bottom fittings. Sorry, no dice. ;)

B

Here is a thread for that...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=24503

It is the same radiator for the manual and AT trannys. If you have an MT, you just ignore or plug the two bottom fittings. Sorry, no dice. ;)

B

No, the MT radiator does not have the two bottom fittings but it is the same radiator.