Alternator Light

jgt

Hi all- my belt was squeaking the last month or so, so my BF tightened up the alt belt and squeak is gone. But today, the alt. light was flickering on/off. What do you guys think? Could the loose belt for a month have caused the alt. to go bad or did we tighten it too much? thanks all. julie

the belt may have been squeaking cause it's wore out, it may have a glazed look to it. It may be tight now but it could still be slipping. I would test the output of the alternator using a multimeter or take it to an auto parts store and have them test it. Also visually check the condition of the belt and replace it if needed.

First, check the electrical connections...

Does it flicker at all speeds/rpm?? It is unlikely that the belt is so over tightened as to cause the alternator to fail; usually the failure mode is the bearings, not the charging.

How old is the alternator??

B

as far as i know, it's the original alt. The batt light only flickered once, while idling, then went away. The battery is new. I checked the belt, it has some cracks in it, but I can't see/tell if it's glazed. I suppose it could be electrical, but everything had been fine until we tightened up the belt. I will take it into Napa and see what they say.

Edited by jgt

Alternators barely charge at idle, and if it is the original, it probably is not as effecient as when it was new. If it was just a flicker once at idle, I honestly wouldn't worry about it. It can't hurt to pay attention to make sure the light doesn't come on and stay on or if you seem to have a weak battery when it is new, these usually indicate a dying/dead alternator.

At this point, I wouldn't even have it checked as I don't think you have a problem.

Of course, if you need chores for the boyfriend, then have him remove it... :D

B

also, if you notice all your lights come on on your dash (ABS,Batt,etc....) after you've started it (which they will all come on at first) then your electrical is not getting 12 volts and it won't be long until you stall. Thats a good sign your alt is not charging