Wanting To Buy Travel Trailer

jimmaw

Yes, the Pathfinder is safe to tow up to 3,500 pounds, however I wold not go anywhere near that weight! My 1995 with a 5spd sucks at towing! First of all it is very underpowered, and secondly the wheelbase is short. Did I say it is underpowered? I tow my two snowmobiles on an open trailer, about 1,600 pounds total, and it is truly horrible. The MPG's go down the drain, and on any type of incline you are always down shifting. The rear springs suck in stock form, so you need to beef them up as well. All in all the Pathfinder is horrible at towing!

Zack

Everyone says, "I have to downshift on hills". :rolleyes:

I have yet to drive any vehicle that didn't kick down or need down shifted on a hill. No the Pathfinder isn't a 1 ton truck, but it can do what it is capable of doing just fine. Anything hauling even half it's rated capacity is going to bog down a bit and use more gas than if it was unloaded. I was actually impressed by my 93's abilities, I had to haul about 3k lbs of concrete mix in the truck and an about 1k lbs mixer in tow. Only thing I did was turn off the OD, and it drove pretty close to normal for me, though with the weight it was a little rougher since I was about 1/2" off the bump stops.

Everyone says, "I have to downshift on hills". :rolleyes:

I have yet to drive any vehicle that didn't kick down or need down shifted on a hill. No the Pathfinder isn't a 1 ton truck, but it can do what it is capable of doing just fine. Anything hauling even half it's rated capacity is going to bog down a bit and use more gas than if it was unloaded. I was actually impressed by my 93's abilities, I had to haul about 3k lbs of concrete mix in the truck and an about 1k lbs mixer in tow. Only thing I did was turn off the OD, and it drove pretty close to normal for me, though with the weight it was a little rougher since I was about 1/2" off the bump stops.

Well of course I disagree with your statements.....

As far as downshifting goes, with the 5spd there is no "sweet spot" for the gear range. THird is too low and 4th is too high. You can do what you want with your Pathfinder, but I think it is a joke to tow with it. It is a truly horrible vehicle to tow with.

Zack

Maybe it's just yours...

I towed 2800lbs the second day I owned my '88 5SPD and it did perfectly fine and was able to cruise on the highway in 5th no problem. It struggled a little more in town obviously, but nothing too dramatic. I shifted at 3500 every time and it moved along just fine. The 4-wheel disks didn't have a problem stopping everything, either. I towed my friend's jet skis and quads on small trailers around during the summer and I have no complaints...once moving we didn't even notice the cargo.

Edited by Kingman

I have only towed a few times with the Pathy so I don't have much input other than to show the other side of the arguement.

837130304_CLyWL-L.jpg

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=23849&view=findpost&p=482234

B

Hey that thing looks familiar. Yeah I tow that trailer everyday about 25 miles each way. The pathy does pretty ok it's the headwinds that kill the ol girl haha otherwise it does round 70+ no prob. I haven't noticed any problems what so ever from the supposed short wheel base. I thought the wheel base was just fine for towing I mean it's not going to do well with a huge load but what SUV does aren't bigger trucks for that kinda stuff. As long as your realistic it's just fine for towing. Plus my pathy has 32's a heavy as hell bumper a wind brake safari style rack a speaker box and eveything else I lug around and that trailer isn't empty I'll say that much. I'd say it's somewhere over 2000 lbs at least with all my painting / remodeling gear inside.

-Colby

i towed a 6x12 enclosed uhaul from nebraska to vegas through the mountains, the sticker on the trailer said it was 2100lbs empty and i had it packed. the worst mileage i got was 12mpg i was very surprised at how well the pathy did. the rear end squat really does leave something to be desired.