Aftermarket

It's really not that much work. It's more about trying to get everything to fit that would take time.

This is probably why you still have newbie under your user name. I can get 100+ HP on a honda D16 with twin turbo's if I wanted to. Hell, 1 Garret GT28RS turbo running 1 Bar (thats 14psi FYI) of boost will net me 150HP on my VG33E. What do you want?

Out of all the possibilities, no one has really discussed this topic. I wonder if the sub frames are the same? Then this VQ40 idea might really work. Throw an HKS Rotrex supercharger on it and just be silly stupid all day long!! :tongue:

Jose

A turbo is always a good way to get significant additional power. On the R50 that'd be a lot of work, though.

To be honest I am kind of surprised no VG33 owner has tried to put a VQ35 in. I think if my motor ever goes I might try a VQ40 with a lot of research...Either that or build up the VQ35 with 350Z heads, intake manifold, JWT cams, throttle body, etc...

A modded VQ35DE would be pretty rad. HKS supercharger, anyone? :D

For the VQ40DE, what about the transmission? Is this crank similar to the VQ35DE?

Even for us early model R50 owners with the VG33E, we'd have to swap in a different transmission, no? :scratchhead:

A turbo is always a good way to get significant additional power. On the R50 that'd be a lot of work, though.

A modded VQ35DE would be pretty rad. HKS supercharger, anyone? :D

For the VQ40DE, what about the transmission? Is this crank similar to the VQ35DE?

Even for us early model R50 owners with the VG33E, we'd have to swap in a different transmission, no? :scratchhead:

IDK anything really about the differences in mounting between the VG and the VQ. I would imagine if the VQ40 is just a stroked VQ35 it should have all of the same mounting points, for the transmission as well? Maybe just need to put some brackets from the VQ35 onto the VQ40?

And I am not a big fan of supercharging, or turbocharging for that matter, I like the really peaky all motor engines that are pretty much lifeless down low but when you get into the powerband become these screaming monsters...

Well, VQ's aren't cheap and are a high demand engine. So according to wikipedia (god help me) the only real difference between the 3.5 nad 4.0 is the stroke. 81.4mm for the 3.5 and 92.0mm for the 4.0. Plus it has some other electronic gizmos. So I would say just use a 3.5 as a donor for the outside bits and drop the 4.0 in it's place. It's rated at 30more HP and at minimun 20 more lb-ft of torque. You would probably have to swap the heads though, since the 4.0 has continuous VVT. Only thing is I haven't seen anyone use the 4.0 for any other application. If it was good, you'd think you'd see more 350Z's with them in. I wonder...

Jose

The 4.0 is not a high revving engine, so I would imagine that reason keeps them from being a suitable car engine...Also I read in the same article as before that the main reason for stroking the 3.5 to a 4.0 was to gain torque. The VQ35 easily makes high horsepower numbers but the torque is still pretty low (look at 350Z and Altima and Maxima with it)

IDK anything really about the differences in mounting between the VG and the VQ. I would imagine if the VQ40 is just a stroked VQ35 it should have all of the same mounting points, for the transmission as well? Maybe just need to put some brackets from the VQ35 onto the VQ40?

And I am not a big fan of supercharging, or turbocharging for that matter, I like the really peaky all motor engines that are pretty much lifeless down low but when you get into the powerband become these screaming monsters...

I do like that but nothing beats the sound of turbo spool followed by a blow-off valve. I'm all for forced induction.

The person who said, "there's no replacement for displacement" clearly never thought of throwing a turbine in to the mix... :shrug:

I do like that but nothing beats the sound of turbo spool followed by a blow-off valve. I'm all for forced induction.

The person who said, "there's no replacement for displacement" clearly never thought of throwing a turbine in to the mix... :shrug:

I freely admit boosting gives insane power but I would rather have a high revving mad acting all motor engine...just personal preference...btw i have determined i WILL design and build individual throttle bodies for something at some point, I am in love with them...

I freely admit boosting gives insane power but I would rather have a high revving mad acting all motor engine...just personal preference...btw i have determined i WILL design and build individual throttle bodies for something at some point, I am in love with them...

Mmm...ITB's. Had a buddy who used Suzuki GSX-R 1300 (Hayabusa anyone?) ITB's on his B18 frankensein engine (used a B16 head) Honda Civic. Couple that with a header and exhaust, port/polished head...talk about one incredible monster motor. And the sound...intoxicating to say the least...Only problem is it had no real power below 4K.

Now, A VQ would be awesome to replace my VG. But the Idea of a VG34ET just tickles me the way My old FC RX-7 GTU was converted to dual webber carbs. Just awesomeness in it's purest form...

Jose

Mmm...ITB's. Had a buddy who used Suzuki GSX-R 1300 (Hayabusa anyone?) ITB's on his B18 frankensein engine (used a B16 head) Honda Civic. Couple that with a header and exhaust, port/polished head...talk about one incredible monster motor. And the sound...intoxicating to say the least...Only problem is it had no real power below 4K.

Now, A VQ would be awesome to replace my VG. But the Idea of a VG34ET just tickles me the way My old FC RX-7 GTU was converted to dual webber carbs. Just awesomeness in it's purest form...

Jose

Oh, an RX-7 man. Good show! :aok:

Yup, the idea of a VG34ET is pretty fantastic. I wouldn't mind sourcing a low-mileage VG33ER and experimenting... :whistle:

There is a plethora of mods out there for VQ35DE. Turbines, superchargers, cams, you name it... Considering the Z33 and V35 use this motor, pretty much every big aftermarket manufacturer makes parts. Check out HKS, Trust (Greddy), Apex, Nismo... Just to name a few. It should be easy to find pretty much anything.

Yep. anything that works for the 350Z/G35 and even some parts for the Maxima/Altima will work for the Pathy 3.5. For superchargers and turbos and headers, space and mounting would be the issue.

Jose

Yep. anything that works for the 350Z/G35 and even some parts for the Maxima/Altima will work for the Pathy 3.5. For superchargers and turbos and headers, space and mounting would be the issue.

Jose

I was looking at turbos and superchargers online today and got a serious case of sticker shock, I really didn't realize how much they were. I would be willing to spend up to $2000 for a supercharger but I won't drop $5000

:yeahthat:

Exactly. Considering how hot the import industry has been these last 10 years, it's no surprise to see forced induction kits costing well over $2,000. Do your research, however, and you can find great deals. ;)

• Thanks 1

• 10 years later...