Anyone With Strobes?

BIGPHIL

okay... so I had one hell of a time getting metro PD to notice me when I had a guy with a large amount of "drugs" and when all was said and done I asked him why it took so long. his reply " 'cause you didnt have any strobes just your headlights and hazard lights" ..

so I ask this does anyone here have any strobes or any pics of these lights.

--phil--

Quick response types, like first responders. If I see my neighbors at all i will bug them about what's a good setup. (they're nozzle nuts/vol. Firefighters)

lol i got the nozzel thing ... I just need bright lights for the headlights/side markers/tailights and i also want some to be mounted on my rear and front windows.

Now that I think of it a couple sites to try

www.galls.com law enforcement vechiles use products from them

www.awdirect.com wreckers use them

I will add as I remember

it also depends on what you want to spend, all our work trucks have the simple strobe bulbs in each headlight housing that connect to a controller, for the rear we now have switched to an LED surface mount light, usually orange, but we used to use the same strobe bulbs they use in the headlight housings in the rear also. easy to install with these types of headlights ( but they can also be mounted in say the corner lights), just have to drill the proper sized hol and the bulb just press fits in the hole, the bulb has a rubber base that holds it in and keeps water out.

i have been looking on ebay (lol i know)

im thinking about one set of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/160WATT-8-BULBS-STROBE-LIGHT-KIT-POLICE-FIRE-SYSTEM-EMS-/250631462080?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5acc9cc0

and two sets of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S86-LIGHTS-LED-POLICE-STROBE-WHITE-EMS-DASH-Emergency-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem588775fb1dQQitemZ380229778205QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

and the reason behind the colors is that in TN red/blue are for "police/ firefighters" and private security gets to use amber and white strobe.

and I might spring for this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S03-LIGHT-LED-POLICE-STROBE-AMBER-W-EMS-DECK-LIGHTBAR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad9280ca5QQitemZ390190337189QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories ....as the insurance guy is coming tommrrow to look/write a check for my fiance's car that got backed into lol

Edited by BIGPHIL

I would go with the white LED strobes first. The 8-strobe kit is only 20 watts per tube, which isn't all that bright IMHO. If you really want to be noticed, a Whelen 60 watt kit would be good, but spendy. +/- $300 IIRC.

I am a Volunteer Paramedic with St. John Ambulance Australia, I am a firm believer of Hazard lights not being enough to really increase anyone's safety. When I stop to help someone, I use my vehicle to 'protect the incident scene', thereby myself, my colleagues & the public... in that order.

I currently have Xenon strobes in my Reverse & Indicator Lights (Rear), LED Dash lights, LED Grille Lights & a few more to come with the new roofrack I'm building. All of these I bought off Ebay, they're obviously not the gear I'm used to (Australian Warning Systems = Government/Police Issue), but they're not too bad for the price.

I'll shoot a video tomorrow afternoon so y'all can have a look at the Duck Truck's epic lighting awesomeness. I'll get Ebay links too.

thats cool... I'm looking into a "hide-a-way kit" with a few hidden lights in my grill.

the yellow are the LED "bars"(3x3 bars) and the black dots are the strobe "heads"

0515100624b.jpg

0515100624a.jpg

Edited by BIGPHIL

Just some notes from my experiences;

1. The strobes are usually pretty decent, get higher powered strobes, they're worth the little bit extra cash. Higher power can usually be characterised by the tube looking like a curly pigs' tail, as oppsed to a straight loop.

Such as these: Ebay Strobes

This is what I have in my rear lights in my video. They give the brightest output of all of the lights I have.

2. The 3x3 LED Bars are quite decent, these can be seen during daylight, but wont really give a huge amount of distance, however really good at night. Obviously power consumption is epically low thanks to LED.

Ebay: Ebay LED Bars

I have the single grill heads of these in my grill (White, because the amber ones for some reason kept dying)

3. Only other thing, mounting strobes in your headlights is ok, if you do it properly like the police do, ie. Drill another hole in the reflector housing to mount it, & even then it can get in the way of your headlight beam.

4. Dash lights can be easily spotted if you know what you're looking for, but they're a cheap way to get some more well mounted lights on.

--DuckMan.

Make sure that they're legal to mount and use in your area. I've been trying to figure out if I can get them on my passenger vehicle for to and from work, since I travel quite a distance over some pretty nasty roads. I'm also a First Responder so it would be nice if I could get them. I've heard that they're illegal here, and I've heard that only Fire Chiefs can use them, in addition to Emergency Vehicles... hmm.

Wig-wags are definitely awesome. Easily seen and since they alternate headlight function then they're basically hidden. One of my favorite features of our Ambulances :)