How To: Fit 33's On The Ac Lift

01silvapathy

hey man. great write up. i have a stock 2002 pathy SE and im looking to do the same thing. 2 inch lift, bigger tires, etc... anyway i went to 4x4parts.com to find the 2 inch ac lift you wrote about. but im a little confused. in each suspension lift, i notes that "You must purchase aftermarket wheels with 3.75" negative backspace when installing this lift." according to your post you point out that you need a 4.25 or greater backspace for it to work. i was wondering if you could set me strait, or show me what im not understanding. and possibly post the link to the suspension kit you purchased. thanks alot buddy. sweet truck.

hey man. great write up. i have a stock 2002 pathy SE and im looking to do the same thing. 2 inch lift, bigger tires, etc... anyway i went to 4x4parts.com to find the 2 inch ac lift you wrote about. but im a little confused. in each suspension lift, i notes that "You must purchase aftermarket wheels with 3.75" negative backspace when installing this lift." according to your post you point out that you need a 4.25 or greater backspace for it to work. i was wondering if you could set me strait, or show me what im not understanding. and possibly post the link to the suspension kit you purchased. thanks alot buddy. sweet truck.

Dont listen to what they say about a 3.75 offset wheel. Most people are thrown off by that, in reality if you are going to run 31's which will likely be a 10.5 wide, a wheel with a 3.75 bs would be necessary to clear the front strut and not rub while turning. But since im assuming you want to put on a 285-75(33)if you run a 3.75 bs wheel in the back it will rub and not be able to flex. So basically im running a bigger size tire than what AC says will fit on the lift. It just took more persuasion :chairfall: You can still get a new set of wheels if you like but if you are going to run a 285-75 make sure they are a 4.25 or 4.50 bs and then buy a spacer for the front. Plus on the bright side wheels with a 4.25 or 4.50 bs are easier to find and tend to be cheaper :aok:

As far as the lift kit goes, I would advise not to purchase an actual package deal from ac. The only parts that you truly need from them are the actual lift springs. You can save a bit more money by getting the rear shocks, Manual Locking Hubs and front struts else where, or if you dont feel like doing that then just order a package, its up to you, if you want to put in the time to find the right model struts and shocks, or just buy from ac and pay a bit more but know that the parts will definitely fit.

Edited by 01silvapathy

the tires i tought about getting are 33x10.5R15 and wheels are 15x10, and 2"suspension. could i fit that, and just trim a little?

You would probably have to trim more than I did, esp if they are a mud terrain tire. A true 33 actually measures 33in new as opposed to a 285-75-16 which measures 32.8 depending on the tire brand and model.

Dont listen to what they say about a 3.75 offset wheel. Most people are thrown off by that, in reality if you are going to run 31's which will likely be a 10.5 wide, a wheel with a 3.75 bs would be necessary to clear the front strut and not rub while turning. But since im assuming you want to put on a 285-75(33)if you run a 3.75 bs wheel in the back it will rub and not be able to flex. So basically im running a bigger size tire than what AC says will fit on the lift. It just took more persuasion :chairfall: You can still get a new set of wheels if you like but if you are going to run a 285-75 make sure they are a 4.25 or 4.50 bs and then buy a spacer for the front. Plus on the bright side wheels with a 4.25 or 4.50 bs are easier to find and tend to be cheaper :aok:

As far as the lift kit goes, I would advise not to purchase an actual package deal from ac. The only parts that you truly need from them are the actual lift springs. You can save a bit more money by getting the rear shocks, Manual Locking Hubs and front struts else where, or if you dont feel like doing that then just order a package, its up to you, if you want to put in the time to find the right model struts and shocks, or just buy from ac and pay a bit more but know that the parts will definitely fit.

thanks buddy. ya, im looking to do the 2 inch lift, and would probably just buy one of the AC packages. are you running the rancho or the Bilstein rear shocks? And im going to keep my stock wheels. (same stock 6 spokes as your ride) but im really hoping to not have to cut anything off my car to make the tire fit. if i went with a 32, do you think there would be rubbing issues without having to cut, or should i stick with a 33 and make it work? thanks for all of your help.

thanks buddy. ya, im looking to do the 2 inch lift, and would probably just buy one of the AC packages. are you running the rancho or the Bilstein rear shocks? And im going to keep my stock wheels. (same stock 6 spokes as your ride) but im really hoping to not have to cut anything off my car to make the tire fit. if i went with a 32, do you think there would be rubbing issues without having to cut, or should i stick with a 33 and make it work? thanks for all of your help.

I think that even if you went with a 32 you would still have to trim and still have to run a wheel spacer up front if you're goin to be using stock wheels. As far as shocks are concerned, I got some cheap shocks from pro comp Es3000's they were designed for an explorer but they work great for my pathy. I have heard bad things about the rancho shocks in the back with them leaking and stuff, so id say go with bilsteins, and definately get KYB STRUTS, whatever you do DO NOT GO WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAN KYB for the struts. I love mine and so does everyone else. Go in the r50 section and look at the thread in the pinned topics about lifting your pathy there is a bunch of info there

I think that even if you went with a 32 you would still have to trim and still have to run a wheel spacer up front if you're goin to be using stock wheels. As far as shocks are concerned, I got some cheap shocks from pro comp Es3000's they were designed for an explorer but they work great for my pathy. I have heard bad things about the rancho shocks in the back with them leaking and stuff, so id say go with bilsteins, and definately get KYB STRUTS, whatever you do DO NOT GO WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAN KYB for the struts. I love mine and so does everyone else. Go in the r50 section and look at the thread in the pinned topics about lifting your pathy there is a bunch of info there

thanks for all of your help. i think im going to end up going for the 33's then.

So far i have a bone stock 2002 pathy se

so what im looking to get would be:

1. https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/pathfinder-deluxe-suspension-package-p-1960.html

2. Warn locking hubs

3. 32 or 33 bfg BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO

4. and where do i need to get / determine what size or type of wheel spacers to get?

again, thanks for all of your help.

Edited by lcstay10

thanks for all of your help. i think im going to end up going for the 33's then.

So far i have a bone stock 2002 pathy se

so what im looking to get would be:

1. https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/pathfinder-deluxe-suspension-package-p-1960.html

2. Warn locking hubs

3. 32 or 33 bfg BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO

4. and where do i need to get / determine what size or type of wheel spacers to get?

again, thanks for all of your help.

Okay first off, make sure you dont get a true 33x12.5 that will be too big get a 285-75-16 thats the biggest I would go for the ac lift. For the wheel spacer get a 1.5in wheel spacer I have a link up in my write up about where to get it. Its also a good idea to get the camber alignment bolts from AC to help with the alignment post lift with the bigger tires, its going to be off by quite a bit.

Edited by 01silvapathy

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey car looks great, one question how much did the 33s put the speedo out?

iv got the 2inch lift and have got the 1.5inch wheel spacers now just looking for some 33s.

Also where can you get camber alignment bolts from these days?

Edited by cameron

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the info. I took your lead and just put 33x10.5 BFG's under my 96. Had 31x10.5 previously. I added one inch wheel spacers to get out from under the strut bucket, and then ended up adding a 1" strut spacer from NX4 to stop rubbing on the top of the fender well. I will get pics up in the next week or so. A little rub-age on the plastic fender liner - similar to pics you had. I will take a heat gun to those this weekend I think. No issue with power as stated.

And yeah, I think your a little better than half a foot off the ground in that one pic.....

Thanks again.

Edited by Cylvertip

• 1 month later...

Ended up removing the air box resonator to get the fender liner far enough out of the way and also some very minor trimming on the lower front corner of the back flares. Only rub-age now is on the fuel line shroud in the passenger wheel well when at full lock - very minor contact. Pics show: After all complete; Full compression passenger rear, and finally prior to upgrades with 31's.

post-30538-0-40083200-1299539559_thumb.jpg

post-30538-0-09067000-1299539574_thumb.jpg

post-30538-0-98403400-1299539587_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cylvertip

Since you're the resident expert on 33's I'll ask you and the forum again. Most of the SFD GUYS are running 16" tires which kinda confuses me. Especially, with strut perch rubbing on 15" rims. I have 15x8 rims with 3.75" BS..... Is my only choice for For 33's going to be 33x10.5x15. I'd like to stick with the BFG MUD T/A's. The only other 33's I saw were 33x12.5x15....I hope to be SFD'd with shift220 kit + AC 2" + 4" WJ springs since I usually keep the back cargo pretty weighted down with stuff and I'll probably get a Full Multi Carrier Rear with Spare Tire. Hopefully by the end of summer 2011!!!

• 4 years later...

Another resurrection by myself. Great info in this thread. Excellent writeup. Since i know it can be done, this will be the route I go. Look for my build thread soon.

Edited by sleeper00