How To: Fit 33's On The Ac Lift

01silvapathy

Okay so over the past few months I have recieved numerous pm's about how I fit my 33's and many topics have been started over this issue also. So I finally am making one thread that will discuss what I did and any issues that were had with the tires. :beer:

Tire Size

Okay to start off what size tires am I running? I call them 33's but they are really 285/75/16's which when new is 32.9 tall and 11.5 wide but actual height varies by brand, I am running a BFG AT. When I got the tires they were a bit worn and measured a 32.8 but thats close enough to me, and the difference between new and used would not require much difference in trimming if any at all. I would imagine that a 33x12.5 would rub ALOT MORE and you would need a bigger wheel spacer/adapter to run a 12.5. As it sits now I have very little distance between the edge of the front tire and the struts. Note that I am NOT running a 33x12.5 only a 285-75-16.

Suspension Setup

I am using the AC 2in Lift available at 4x4parts.com. Now onto the issue about acutual height. I know that the tires will fit on an AC LIFT, I DO NOT know if they will fit on an OME suspension, if someone wants to measure fender height we can compare and see what the difference is. I know it has been done a few times on the ac lift but I have not heard of or seen anyone running 33's on the OME setup.

Wheels and Their Backspace

Now onto this delicate and probably most important detail of fitting 33's and being able to use them and flex without issues. Acutal wheel size does not matter, you can run a x15,x16,x17 whatever, what really matters is the backspace of the wheel. I am using the stock double tri spoke wheels which have a backspace of 4.25. I will not post up pics of the other model wheels that work, anyone that can read this post can also find out the backspace of their wheels. Any wheel that measures a 4.25 or larger ie. 4.5 and up will work. Wheels that measure a 3.75bs WILL NOT WORK. The backspace of a wheel determines how far out from where the face of the wheel is bolted to the axle sticks out. The more backspace the less it will stick out, the less backspace the more it will stick out. So in short a 4.25bs wheel will look to be inside the wheel well while a 3.75bs wheel will look to be even with the fender well. This leads to the issue of being able to flex and tuck a tire. Its common sense that when the tire sticks out farther it will be out more, and then cause issues with rubbing on the fender flare. Because the wheels backspace is 4.25 or greater the outer edge of the tire will just miss the fender flare and tuck nice and neat into the wheel well allowing the axle to articulate without issues. See picture below for tire tuck.

Tucking a Tire without rubbing

100_1169.jpg

Wheel Spacers/Adapters

Now even though you have a wheel with the proper backspace (4.25 or greater) You will be able to properly fit the tires in the rear without issues, the front however is a different issue. The front suspension of a R50 is a Strut setup. The bottom of the struts have a cup around them that sticks out quite alot. Now if you attempt to put on the tires and wheels with the 4.25 bs it will NOT work. In order to fit the tires up front you will need a wheel spacer. You will need a wheel spacer that is atleast 1.5in This wheel spacer will effectively put the mount for the wheel and tire further out increasing the distance between the edge of the tire and the bottom cup of the strut. Now you may be asking yourself why would I do that because then the tire will stick out past the edge of the wheel well. You would be correct in stating that. The reality of the issue though is that the front suspension of an r5o does not flex, it does but not much at all, let alone enough to cause issues with rubbing on the fender flare. Note: I still have my front sway bars on and have not wheeled with them off, I have heard that it flexes somewhat but I dont have experience with it, so dont blame me if you take it off and it rubs :nono:) Now you may be looking around online for a wheel spacer for a nissan, good luck finding one because there isnt one (that I have found) Not worries though, the R50 has the same bolt pattern as Toyota 6x5.5. Most wheel spacers from both nissan and toyota will have a center bore large enough to fit over Warn Manual Locking hubs if you have them. The wheel spacers attach to the current lug nuts that are on your truck and the wheel bolts to the new studs that are on the new wheel spacer, see picture below. You have probably heard horror stories about wheel spacers, but as long as you take your time installing them, and use locktite and torque them to the right torque you should be fine. The stance of your truck will change with the addition of wheel spacers you will have a much wider stance and track width. I like the look and its nothing excessive you cant feel a difference at all, see below pic. The only downside of the wider stance is that the edge of the tires like to pick up rock and stones and throw them against the side of the truck, I took off my running boards If I had kept them on they probably would have helped but I like them off. Dont let this keep you from doing it through, it is not that big of a deal, also water it gets sprayed up all over the side of the truck :lol: The wheel spacers are available from many retailers and stores. I would advise NOT buying off of ebay as you dont have the assurance of quality that you get from going with a reputable dealer. Steevo over at ruggedrocks has the spacers for sale here is a link to the spacers.

http://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/trailgear-6x55-wheel-spacers-1534-wide-p-3667.html

Wheel Spacer

100_1215.jpg

New Stance with wheel spacers

100_0985.jpg

Trimming and Rubbage

Okay here is the part that most ppl have questions about. I had to trim, but it was nothing that a dremel or shears cant handle. I had to trim the inner fender well liner and some off of the front lower part of the bumper. The VERY Bottom of the fender flare had to be trimmed and it is not noticeable unless you look up from the ground. I also had to remove the front mud guards, otherwise there would be massive rubbing. Understandable trim varies by year and trimming will vary but this is a common trim and thats what I had to do. Here are some videos I took and put on youtube about trimming and fitment of the tires. These videos show everywhere I trimmed and how much.

Trimming

General Pics and Stuff- 0-60 with the tires :jig:

Why you SHOULD do it

Well its a good question, with a simple answer....its AWESOME. Its crazy I gained about as much lift as my actual suspension lift gave me :lol: Performance atleast with a VQ :sly: is still good for a lifted SUV and it is not noticeable. Your gas milage will suffer a bit, but hey if you wanted good gas mileage you wouldnt be driving a lifted SUV :doh: But Id say if you want to do it go for it! I will post some pics below to entice yall to do it. I believe that I have covered just about everything, and this has taken me about 45 minutes to type out and link and put pics in......so I hope I covered everything, if you have questions please RE READ this post and then if you still have a question. Now its almost midnight and I have class at 8 Am tomorrow Night yall :beer:

100_1307.jpg

100_1222.jpg

100_1164.jpg

100_1167.jpg

Excellent thread, Andrew. Props for putting in a lot of time and tons of useful information! :beer:

Let's hope admin pins this topic. :aok:

Glad you found it useful Ty! I hope to see some 33's on your truck pretty soon here :new576: Apparently Pezzy wont pinn it until she removes "drama" from it. I guess all my time and effort was still not good enough for this board....or rather the admins :shrug:

Edited by 01silvapathy

Looks Awesome!! My 2" AC lift is going on tomorrow. Was looking for new Rims and Tires and this really inspired me to go with the 285/75/R16's now. You said the backspacing must be 4.25. So if I could get a rim that has a neg 5 back spacing, think that will work instead of the spacers? I would like the rims to work instead of buying the spacers if I'm going with the 33's.

Looks Awesome!! My 2" AC lift is going on tomorrow. Was looking for new Rims and Tires and this really inspired me to go with the 285/75/R16's now. You said the backspacing must be 4.25. So if I could get a rim that has a neg 5 back spacing, think that will work instead of the spacers? I would like the rims to work instead of buying the spacers if I'm going with the 33's.

I dont know man, you may run into issues with rubbing on the inside of the fender well in the rear. And up front they will def NOT fit with a 5 bs. You will need wheel spacers no matter what you do. They are only like 85 bucks shipped. Cheaper than buying a set of wheels. You could even go and get some steel spare wheels and those would work. You can do like I did and paint your wheels if you dont like them. Thats going to set you back a day of work and about 50 bucks.

I dont know man, you may run into issues with rubbing on the inside of the fender well in the rear. And up front they will def NOT fit with a 5 bs. You will need wheel spacers no matter what you do. They are only like 85 bucks shipped. Cheaper than buying a set of wheels. You could even go and get some steel spare wheels and those would work. You can do like I did and paint your wheels if you dont like them. Thats going to set you back a day of work and about 50 bucks.

Do you have the 3.5 liter engine? Wondering if I put these rims and tires on, how much it will change on my take off speed. Did you notice a big change on torque?

i am sure this is covered somewhere else, under a different thread :search:

Yes, yes it is. Maybe in the pinned topics? Oooo.

But to be nice, 31's are about the biggest you can go with no rub, and on stock wheels, too! I know fueler had like 32" tires (they were like 275/75R16 or something) on his stock Pathy way back when and he said he got away with it with no real problems. You can search for that thread (it has pics).

Jose

Can one of the mods PLEASE stickey this so that when next week someone asks about fitting 33's we dont have to dig through the topics to find it thanks :hugs:

No, you have to type all of that every time someone asks!!! :lol:

Nice write up, so here you go.

By the way, wat iz the bigest tire I can put on my phathflinder ok tanks.

B

heres a little pathy math: 3"+3"=33"

3" suspension lift & 3 inch body lift. allows for 33" tires...

No, I only have a 2in suspension lift on my R50 This entire thread is about putting 33's on an R50 and R50 only nothing about Wd's there is no such thing as a body lift for a R50 :deadhorse:

Do you have the 3.5 liter engine? Wondering if I put these rims and tires on, how much it will change on my take off speed. Did you notice a big change on torque?

Yes I have a 3.5, and you do notice that the tires are there but its nothing bad. I posted this video up in the write up, guess you didnt watch it. There is a 0-60 video at the end of the video :aok:

No, I only have a 2in suspension lift on my R50 This entire thread is about putting 33's on an R50 and R50 only nothing about Wd's there is no such thing as a body lift for a R50 :deadhorse:

:rofl:

B

One thing that I didn't see covered is the possibility of having too high of a backspacing measurement. Can this cause problems and will I need wider wheel spacers for the front? My wheels are 17x9 with a +10 offset which is around 5.4" of backspacing. Once I order these 285/70R17's they're mine so I want to be sure they'll work. Thanks!

Billy

One thing that I didn't see covered is the possibility of having too high of a backspacing measurement. Can this cause problems and will I need wider wheel spacers for the front? My wheels are 17x9 with a +10 offset which is around 5.4" of backspacing. Once I order these 285/70R17's they're mine so I want to be sure they'll work. Thanks!

Billy

I cant guarantee you anything with that. You may run into issues with rubbing the inside of the fender well on the rear wheels. But there is a simple fix if that happens, wheel spacers in the rear as well. As for the front I dont know what to say.

I cant guarantee you anything with that. You may run into issues with rubbing the inside of the fender well on the rear wheels. But there is a simple fix if that happens, wheel spacers in the rear as well. As for the front I dont know what to say.

That's not the answer I was looking for! You're supposed to say, "Dude that'll fit perfectly!"

Thanks anyway.

Billy

Hey Sliva, just for clarity and organization, do you mind if I modify the title to "... On The R50 AC Lift" and if you are willing, I would like to host the pictures on NPORA's photobucket account so they are not lost in time like so many other technical photos.

B

Hey Sliva, just for clarity and organization, do you mind if I modify the title to "... On The R50 AC Lift" and if you are willing, I would like to host the pictures on NPORA's photobucket account so they are not lost in time like so many other technical photos.

B

Sure go for the title change. I also dont care if you host the pics on your photobucket, as I know that its been getting weird with bandwidth stuff and all.

• 3 weeks later...