Parking Brake Adjustment

jgt

get underneath the truck and see if you have any more room left on the adjusting bolt. It's pretty much right underneath the console bin bolted to the bottom of the body. Just follow the parking brake line from the wheel and you will see it. I think you need 12mm wrench and 12mm deep socket to adjust it. Take up the slack in the cable by tightening the 2 adjusting nuts. It's much easier of you clean all the undercoating, dirt etc. off before you adjust it.

If you are already bottomed out on the adjuster, the cable has stretched and you should replace it or figure out to shorten it.

yes, there is a little wheel you can turn with a small screwdriver inside each parking brake drum. That is for major adjustments. Minor ones can be made with the adjusting nuts. I guess if she runs out of room for adjustments on the nuts, she can spread out the parking brake shoes a bit more from inside the drum. When you install new pads or parts, your supposed to lift the rear end, adjust the shoes from the back of the drums until the wheels start to drag, then back them off a tiny bit. Then you adjust the cable where it comes out of the body under the console so you don't have to yank the lever so high.

I'd personally make sure they are adjusted good at the wheels (using the star wheel in the drum) THEN adjust the cable if necessary. Especially if you have drum brakes on the back that way you get good adjustment to begin with for your normal brakes...

I went out before to adjust my hand brake and I glanced thru this thread first, so I go outside I have the brake adjusting tool and my floor jack, jack up the rear of the truck, chock the front wheels I'm all set to go under and adjust those star wheels and it hits me DUH !!! I have rear discs there are no star wheel things to adjust!!!

So I did it with 2 -12mm wrenches, much better now !!!

yes, there is a little wheel you can turn with a small screwdriver inside each parking brake drum. That is for major adjustments. Minor ones can be made with the adjusting nuts. I guess if she runs out of room for adjustments on the nuts, she can spread out the parking brake shoes a bit more from inside the drum. When you install new pads or parts, your supposed to lift the rear end, adjust the shoes from the back of the drums until the wheels start to drag, then back them off a tiny bit. Then you adjust the cable where it comes out of the body under the console so you don't have to yank the lever so high.

good answer!

your e-brake has a manuel drum brake setup in the rotor... you still got a star wheel for the e-brake shoes thumbsup.gif

yes, there is a star wheel in both the full drum and the disc since the disc still uses a mini drum for parking.

the FSM states for both types of brakes to ajust untill it drags (just barely) and then back off 3 clicks

found it, thanks for your help guys. Will adjust it this weekend. hope this link works.

4557319080_99bcf01549_b.jpg

** update: done this weekend! easy just like you said, two 12mm wrenches and tightened up the slack. Also adjusted the alt. belt and no more squeak! thanks guys

Edited by jgt