Trouble Shifting Manual At Lower Altitude

92Pathmaker

I live at 9000' and when I go down to Denver I have trouble getting into 1st from a stop. If I am still rolling some it will usually slide right in. From a stop I will have to put it in 2nd or 3rd then go to 1st from there. The clutch reservoir is full. Could it be air in the lines? If so how many and where are the bleeders? It looks like there is one on the passenger side of the firewall. Are there more?

It is just weird how it works just fine in the mountains, but not down in the city

Edited by 92Pathmaker

It is just weird how it works just fine in the mountains, but not down in the city

Does it make a difference to the clutch issue in the city if the vehicle is cold? Are there any signs of leaks around the slave cylinder? A plausible cause might be that air enters past the seals on the slave cylinder as the atmospheric pressure increases, but I dunno how to explain how it rectifies itself as you climb back up (gravity, liquid flow, compressible fluid, etc.).

There should be a bleeder screw right at the slave cylinder mounted at the bell-housing; follow the hydraulic line from the reservoir/MC to the transmission.

All I can say is that you are too damn high!!!

*ehem* Sorry...

Yes, that does seem odd. Usually that indicates a clutch or syncro issue, but I think Derrik may be on to something. Check for leaks and bleed the system until it is flushed. Bleed at the slave cylinder on the tranny, and then at the dampner on the passenger fire wall. Also, are you aware of the TSB pinned in the Garage section that says to 'overfill' the manual trannys with 5.1 liters of 75-w90 GL4?? Check it out. Redline MTR is a good replacement also if you can't find GL4 and GL4 only...

B