Some Help From Some Transmission Gurus?

I have a tranny problem. Everything has been working fine until just awhile ago. I pull up to a red light and stop, when the light turns green my truck sounds like it is in neutral. I doubt this has anything to do with it but I had just turned on the A/C for the first time this year. I pulled the shifter down into 2nd gear, and I felt it shift into gear. I went ahead and pulled all the way down to first and pulled away from the light. I shifted into 2nd and it shifted fine. When I put it into drive, I felt it shift out but there was no 3rd. I gave it a bit more gas and could feel it pull a bit but to prevent totally burning it up I let off and took it real easy the last mile to the house. I didn't get a CE light or anything else and I am not sure if maybe something screwed up when I turned on the A/C. It did happen within just a few minutes of turning it on. Any help is greatly appreciated, I am gonna go unhook my battery to reset the comp and see if it makes any difference. I have to have my truck for work in the morning and it is the only transportation I have. I burned through all my savings being laid off last fall, so I hope this is a cheap fix, lol, yeah not likely.

Ok, well, all I have is bad news.

You have a 1995, how many miles on it?? It sound like you have the classic autotragic failure. Do you have reverse, that is usually the first to fail. What is the fluid like?? Pink and clean?? Do you have an aftermarket cooler hooked up or is it still plumbed through the stock 'bottom of the radiator' unit?? These tend to clog over time, reducing flow and allowing the tranny to overheat.

Since you think you have already lost a gear, I doubt that a fluid change and a cooler will 'fix' it. A few people have gotten more life by doing that. I hate to say it, but I think your tranny is fried and that you won't make it to work with it tomorrow.

Answer the Q's and maybe we can help. Perhaps there is someone nearby with a tranny and/or tools to help a guy out??

B

Well, I do have reverse, the fluid is a beautiful transparent pink, like it is fresh from the bottle, and i have a aftermarket cooler. Also as an update, I reset the comp, didn't help at all. I ran the self diagnostic check and everything checked out ok. Guess it is time to check around for someone to rebuild it for me. I would much rather do that than take my chances at the jy. Hell, I have the FSM I may check into just doing it myself, I have done a few old th350s and 400s. Might actually save some dough that way. Any DIYers out there who have done this with any success?

Oh yeah, it has 163k on it and fluid was changed approx. 15k ago.

Edited by Pathmaster95

thats exactly what mine did, 172 were fine, but i lost 3rd and 4th, so yes a tranny will be in order for you.

i got mine from JDM Engine Depot, they have a tranny on ebay right now for 299.00

Tranny on ebay

good luck

Edited by 94pathfinder

Another update, I still have overdrive. Also when I put the truck in drive I have a tranny fluid leak. When in 1st or 2nd, it doesn't leak. When in OD I can smell tranny fluid burning on the exhaust. I think tomorrow I will tear into it to find the leak. I am gonna have to anyway to replace or rebuild. If this gives anybody an idea, I am all ears (well, technically eyes). Thanks.

Well, I do have reverse, the fluid is a beautiful transparent pink, like it is fresh from the bottle, and i have a aftermarket cooler. Also as an update, I reset the comp, didn't help at all. I ran the self diagnostic check and everything checked out ok. Guess it is time to check around for someone to rebuild it for me. I would much rather do that than take my chances at the jy. Hell, I have the FSM I may check into just doing it myself, I have done a few old th350s and 400s. Might actually save some dough that way. Any DIYers out there who have done this with any success?

Oh yeah, it has 163k on it and fluid was changed approx. 15k ago.

Ok, it sounds like you have taken care of the system but it has failed regardless. Still 163k is 6 times around the world so that is not a bad life span... :shrug:

Yes, one of the Mods, NZpathfinder rebuilt his tranny and I think it still works... He is the most recent source.

Another update, I still have overdrive. Also when I put the truck in drive I have a tranny fluid leak. When in 1st or 2nd, it doesn't leak. When in OD I can smell tranny fluid burning on the exhaust. I think tomorrow I will tear into it to find the leak. I am gonna have to anyway to replace or rebuild. If this gives anybody an idea, I am all ears (well, technically eyes). Thanks.

OK, this is out of my arse, but if the tranny is leaking in a specific gear, wouldn't that mean that something in that path, meaning that gear fluid path, in the valve body or associated valves is clogged?? I'm new to auto trannys so be gentle...

That said, I have a specific repair manual for these trannys. If you are going to tackle the job, I'll happily send it to you on two conditions. You send it back in readable condition and you take plenty of pictures and do a write up... ;)

B

Also, the ECU doesn't monitor the transmission's error codes. Does your AT/Power light flash when you turn the ignition on or does it stay on for a few seconds then turn off? If it flashes, then one of the parts that the TCU monitors is bad and you will need to run the TCU diagnostic check.

Edited by Indigent

I have ran the TCU diagnostics, nothing. Precise, I appreciate the offer but I believe a friend of mine has the same book. After looking over it a bit, I think I would rather leave this task to a pro. It did get me to work and back today, and I even found 3rd gear. There is some stall between 2nd and 3rd and any less than 40mph forget it. For now I am gonna drive it like a manual, let off the gas and shift. Hopefully, I can find me some cheap POS to drive for awhile so I can get it into a shop and see what's what.

Edited by Pathmaster95