Help Me Brainstorm As To What's Wrong With My 90 Pathy...

Adam

Aren't those already new?

Spark plugs were, distributor is not, wires are not. Going to do plugs and wires first, then if no change, I'll pick up a boneyard distributor...

I'm also going to try to run some more tests tonight from the how-to section, didn't see the crank angle sensor/ignition portion until this morning.

Edited by Adam

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference in condition of the spark plugs is troubling; all being black and sooty means way too rich, however, one being tan means..clogged/failed injector? are any of the exhaust ports cool; or any of them (start cold engine, run for 10 seconds and feel the individual ports)?

Also, make sure you get a new 02 sensor and a cap and rotor; at least with new basic-tuneup components installed, you can troubleshoot much more effectively. I would be ready to start cleaning spark plugs too- its possible that the too rich condition from earlier, fouled them out.

Incidentally, did you check ignition timing with a timing light, or inspect the condition of the wodruff key under the (crankshaft) timing sprocket?

My money is still on the ignition circuit (coil, condensor, connections, wires, etc), but its just a guess.

Edited by Derrik

I think I've figured it out, but I need some confirmation from you guys... I pulled my intake manifold and removed the fuel rail from the engine, put paper towels under the injectors, cranked the engine a few cranks, and found fuel only coming out of cylinders 1 and 2's fuel injectors. Normal operation on starting should obviously be fuel coming from all injectors, correct? I changed the plugs and wires today, and while fooling around, pulled some plugs and saw 0 indication of combustion, they still looked brand new, whereas 1 and 2 had obvious indicators. I confirmed spark was getting to the plugs that were clean, so it's not a spark issue. I'm going to call Auto Zone and see if they can test individual injectors on the Weller machine...

I really need to remove the lower intake manifold, and soak the manifolds and TB, they're coated in oily buildup. What would cause oily building to coat the entire inside of the manifold and throttlebody?

Alright, I got the replacement fuel rails from the boneyard, but one of the injectors isn't working. I'm not sure if maybe theres a bubble in the line, but I'm assuming it's a bad injector... I've still got 2 good injectors on the old rail, so I'd like to replace the bad one with a good one... Question is, how to get them out? Are they pressed in like a bushing? I'm not really sure how to proceed from here, as I couldn't get enough force from my drill press to press them out, so I'm assuming I need to build another contraption to get it going... Any suggestions here?

edit: managed to get it out, not too shabby. Just need to swap out the one in the new rail, and I should be back in business! Gonna finish it all up tomorrow morning.

Edited by Adam

the oily soot is from the recycled exhaust that comes in through the EGR circuit- you can restrict that line a bit but there is a potential for legal consequences or for the CEL to light.

the oily soot is from the recycled exhaust that comes in through the EGR circuit- you can restrict that line a bit but there is a potential for legal consequences or for the CEL to light.

Interesting, doesn't sound like a very well thought out system...Thanks for the info...

Idle is a tad rough when warmed up. I'm going to fiddle with the throttle position sesnor, and get the timing dialed in just right. Will get inspection, registration, and insurance later this week, and start daily driving it again.

Well, an update... idle is still rough... I got it smogged, 10x the limit on hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide. Part of that is likely the fuel system cleaner, I didn't realize it'd have a big effect on emissions, but the other part of the high readout? My guess is o2 sensor, but I don't have any codes to go on anymore, so I don't know if that's bwhere I should start.... any suggestions? And any suggestion on where to get the o2 sensor? Itts quite expensive at auto zone, was much cheaper for our durango's o2...

Another vid, smoke, and it smells really terribly like fuel, it smells as strong as if I had an open gas can in front of my face :lol: O2 sensor is still my first thought...

Is there any way to test the EGR?

Edited by Adam

Is the fuel pressure regulator hose on...what colars the smoke(I have dial up and vids wont load)

1.white smoke= head gasket

2.blue smoke=oil getting into the cylinders

3.black smoke=carbine build up and/or bad gas

What did you use! Did you use berryman or what ever,that stuff is bad,do not use it,use seafoam,MMO or lucas...gumout is ok but the first 3 are the best.

RXP

Is the fuel pressure regulator hose on...what colars the smoke(I have dial up and vids wont load)

1.white smoke= head gasket

2.blue smoke=oil getting into the cylinders

3.black smoke=carbine build up and/or bad gas

It's kind of greyish... If it were head gasket, it's also be sweet smelling... I'd also imagine I'd have a compression issue, which I don't. It also doesn't overheat. The emissions results tell me more than enough though.

Edited by Adam

Sounds like you could have got bad gas or its pumping to much gas into it...hows the milage?

Mileage seems high, I drove 100+ miles today and burned almost half a tank... Gas is fine, it's where I always get gas, even when I had my 01 BMW 330ci on the road. It's definitely pumping too much, just got to figure out why... Gonna pick up the EGR and the O2 sensor of the junkyard pathy and see if either helps.

Edited by Adam

So... I swapped the O2 sensor with the junkyard one, but it made no difference... So I just disconnected it... It immediately started idling perfectly, and it had more power throughout the entire power band... It also didn't backfire anymore. Guess I just need to buck up and get a brand new O2 sensor... I got the emissions run(guy ran it in training mode so as to not use up my free re-inspect) with the O2 sensor disconnected, and where it was some 6x the limit for hydrocarbons before, it was only 2x now, 300, while the limit is 170... My Carbon Monoxide actually went up though... I also noticed an exhaust gasket by the cat was blown out... bleh... Tired of messing with this, I just want to get it back to 100%