Question About My Lsd

swapdip

OK so I've got a 1990 SE with the LSD and about 177,000 miles, and we have been through muddy trails before, great fun. Anyways I was at the beach last weekend in some pretty soft sand, and I noticed that if I crept real lightly through the sand then it ran as normal, but if I gave it even moderate gas the truck would vibrate and shake. I mean, it got itself out of the sand, and a couple other stuck trucks as well, but the whole truck would shake like I was driving over a bunch of little speed bumps at high speed. Does it in 2wd and 4x4. It doesn't do this in mud or deep water or packed sand, just light sand. So I was wondering if this was normal for older LSDs, or an indication of an approaching problem? I really only have a vague idea of how LSDs work, never opened one up or anything, so any advice would be great.

Oh, and I just replaced the fluids with ATF, there's no clunking into gear when engaged, no leaks, everything seems to be in tip-top shape otherwise.

Thanks guys.

im going to agree with B, sounds like torque hop to me, you have something worn out in the rear end, ive had this problem time and time again with offroad rigs with soft springs in the rear end, shudder and hop when you give it the go juice while in the soft stuff

Its called axle hop. its something that old drag racers would worry about too. To help the reduce axle hop, on the '69 Camaro, chevy mounted the shocks on opposite sides on the axle. and thats your dose of useless knowledge for today..

Also called wheel hop ;) And the shorter the wheel base trucks have more of a problem with it... also lighter trucks. As a result, it's a fairly common issue with short bed mini trucks. And tends to happen more on high traction surfaces.

But I am not sure if that is exactly what is happening in your case, as Pathy's have less of an issue with it because of the added weight in the back. Does the back end hop and tires bark when you accelerate hard on dry pavement? That's wheel hop.

Yours sounds more like worn out shocks/bushings and such as B mentioned, rather that the characteristic wheel hop.