R50 Oil Filter Relocation Kit

COPathy

Hello everyone! Over the years I've gotten great information regarding the R50 from this forum. I figured it was about time to join so here I am! I have a few mods that I'd like to get done, and cannot seem to find a definitive answer regarding an oil filter relocation kit. I see that A/C has several listed but non specifically for the Pathy. Has anyone had any luck tackling this issue? I am getting tired of removing the skids and they are taking a beating in the process. Any ideas/recommendations/tips?

Here is the closest thing I can find:

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/oil-filter-relocation-kit-p-440.html

Edited by COPathy

We tried with the Xterra one on my pathy, but it wouldn't meet up and seal with the engine. :(

Now I recall one person who did have something up his sleeve... I forget what it was, if they succeeded, and who this person was. Maybe I made that up? LOL!

I read that K&N makes Oil Filter Relocation kit's although I cannot find one online. I've sent the company an E-mail and will let you all know if I learn of anything!

Edited by COPathy

• 3 weeks later...

I read that K&N makes Oil Filter Relocation kit's although I cannot find one online. I've sent the company an E-mail and will let you all know if I learn of anything!

I found a kit that should work. I will keep everyone posted. Hopefully this is the last time I remove those skids!

I know there a few of us on here who tried this mod (myself included) and all it lead to was oil over the driveway. The sandwich plate for these kits is designed with the D22 VG33E in mind. That being said, the steering pump bracket on the R50 VG33E is pretty close to the oil filter and the sandwich plate doesn't seal up properly. :(

I've still got my kit and am thinking the best option would be either a custom sandwich plate or to modify the one included in the D22 kit so that it can clear the bracket. :scratchhead:

In any event, best of luck and keep us posted! :aok:

• 9 months later...

Yall are a BUNCH OF LAZY BONED HIPPIES :tongue:

Just crawl under there and do it the normal way, like everyone else does :ph33r:

I know hell just froze over by saying this........but I have to agree with 01silvapathy :sleep:

Even with a skid plate installed, it takes like 10-15 minutes max to remove the plate, replace the filter, then put the plate back.

I think he is just more concerned about removing/reinstalling the skids over and over. Wouldn't want to ruin those threads, now would you? And, I hear its an anoying pain in the ass to do. I would love to have a oil relo kit so it would stop spilling on my damn steering bushings (even with putting a bag over it, some still gets away). You VQ guys don't have to worry about that, though (damn you Ty for becoming a VG traitor!! :deadhorse: LOL)

Jose

I think the idea with the relocation kit is that it uses a larger filter, one that is also available pretty much anywhere.

Bigger filter would only be really useful if you plan on stretching out the time between oil changes or do a lot of mileage with your truck.

All the filters we use are very standard. I have find them on the shelf at places like CT and NAPA always has a couple in stock. They aren't very special. Even the oil filter on the 88 hardbody was in stock at NAPA. The 3.3L and 3.5L engines were used in so many Nissan vehicles that they are very common filters.

I think he is just more concerned about removing/reinstalling the skids over and over. Wouldn't want to ruin those threads, now would you? And, I hear its an anoying pain in the ass to do.

I don't see how the threads could get messed up by removing the plate a lot. Even if you don't have a metal skid plate, the truck comes with a plastic skid plate that needs to be removed each time as well. It bolts into the same place as where the new metal skid plates bolt up to. So even if you brought it into Nissan to get an oil change every time, they would have just as much chance of stripping the threads which I doubt happens very often.

Though yes, I can see that point. I didn't strip a thread, but I did break a bolt off inside one of the mounting holes and had to drill a new hole in the plate for the next hole over. It had rusted solid and after putting a little too much pressure on the bolt, it snapped off.

I had posted a link in another thread to someone on another Nissan board with a 3.5L in a Maxima who had found a commercially available kit that fit and worked. Would search for it but I am lazy.

Edited by Northernpathy

I didn't strip a thread, but I did break a bolt off inside one of the mounting holes and had to drill a new hole in the plate for the next hole over.

There lies the issue with oil changes on my truck. I mutilate the bolts during wheeling season, and Simon curses every last one of them as he drills the broken ones out, taps new holes, and finds new bolts.

• 5 years later...