Diesel Or Petrol?

nesh

I'm thinking about selling my auto diesel 1990 d21 for a manual. Would I be better of with a diesel or petrol for mainly sand driving? what is the best model terrano upto 1995? Is V6 better?

I have heard that you can go pretty far with injection pump tuning on the TD27...

we don't have those over here but I would guess they would be better.

Edited by MY1PATH

I speak for the V6 side here, maybe Pete will chime in with his opinion of the diesels.

Being that your in NZ and pay for road users and rego is $100 more expensive than a petrol, cost is a factor. Though I guess you have that already.

I like the V6, lots of go, quiet...ish, I find them easier to fix.

Bad things about the V6, Drinks fuel (I get about 500km on a tank :AUTO), they don't swim too well :D

Mine being auto tends to bog down a little on the soft stuff.

Hope that helps a little :beer:

I recall a similar post on another forum recently and my answer remains the same. The 2.7TD is so under rated. It has heaps of low down torke and IMHO will do just as well as the V6 models in the sand, mud or what have you.

diesel is far superior then gas. its easier to work on, more power per liter, less electronics for the computer, easier to tune, and can be submerged in water.

How do you get more power per litre? VG30 155hp/248Nm, TD27T 100hp/215Nm :scratchhead:

How much time have you spent working on them? The 2 I've done a bit of work on are every bit a PITA that the VG's are.

how bout you just pull out one of those oil burners, crate it up, send it to me, ill replace my VG with it and get back to you with a detailed write up of my comparison...... :beer:

Woah woah woah tex, its 153hp not 155 :rofl: Don't kid yourself :tongue:

Damn I guess no pudding for me tonight.

1988In November, in response to a diesel engine of Moapawa, TD27 typeTurboTD27T set featuring 100-horsepower engine type cars.

1994In November, some changes (Semimainachenji). TD27T improved power output of 115 horsepower Dizerutaboenjin type.

2.7L 4 TD27 direct type 85ps

100ps 2.7L turbo direct-type TD27T 4

115ps 2.7L turbo direct-type TD27T 4

3.0L V6 140ps type VG30i

Type VG30E 3.0L V6 155ps

I'm starting to wonder if Terrano's (Japanese) had 2 more ponys :shrug:

WTF?

Power output or hp of nissan terrano?

2.4 petrols are all 116bhp - wont crack 100mph WRONG

2.7 diesels are 122 or 123 bhp but slower than the 2.4 petrols due to being heavier - about 90mph flat out WRONG

3.0 diesels are 155bhp and are the fastest but struggle to attain 103 mph WRONG

Petrol or Diesel; :whocares:

Its like the old "Ford"/"Holden" or "Toyota"/"Nissan" argument.

Each to their own at the end of the day.

They all have their merits, good and bad. :scratchhead:

would the y60 Patol td42 swap into a td27 pathy?

I have heard good things about those engines...

Cmon, think about it. The TD42 has an extra 2 cylinders, where are you going to hide them?

would the y60 Patol td42 swap into a td27 pathy?

I have heard good things about those engines...

Definitely not mate, far too long. Best bet would be the QD32, uses basically the same block, puts out pretty much the same HP as the VG30

Cmon, think about it. The TD42 has an extra 2 cylinders, where are you going to hide them?

Oh, I thought they were both straight 6's I guess the td27 is an L4?

I guess I was thinking how all the sohc vg blocks were swapable vg20, vg30, vg33.

Edited by MY1PATH

I have owned both, and both have their advantages. All things considered, I miss the TD27T the most. It got far better mileage per unit of fuel. It had a bunch more low end torque, and the torque curve is far more linear.

As far as top speeds go, I have had my 1990 terrano with td27t up to 175kph. The diesel felt far more capable in offroad situations. My suggestion, is that if at all possible, try both and see which one you LIKE the best. Both have their merits.

I have a scout with a 6BT Cummins, its not easy, but you can find places to hide extra cylinders.....

I have owned both, and both have their advantages. All things considered, I miss the TD27T the most. It got far better mileage per unit of fuel. It had a bunch more low end torque, and the torque curve is far more linear.

As far as top speeds go, I have had my 1990 terrano with td27t up to 175kph. The diesel felt far more capable in offroad situations. My suggestion, is that if at all possible, try both and see which one you LIKE the best. Both have their merits.

You live in WA, where the Heck did you get a Dizzel pathy? assuming you lived overseas? or are there are few running around here that have been imported? I love diesel, hell even love the smell, wonder if any of those jap engine importer outfits could get me a 2.7

You live in WA, where the Heck did you get a Dizzel pathy? assuming you lived overseas? or are there are few running around here that have been imported? I love diesel, hell even love the smell, wonder if any of those jap engine importer outfits could get me a 2.7

I lived in Japan for 3 and a half years. Sadly, I could not bring my terrano back with me because of the diesel motor. If I had bought a V6 terrano it would have been no problem.

Diesel FTW!

I have a scout with a 6BT Cummins, its not easy, but you can find places to hide extra cylinders.....

In all seriousness, I wouldn't waste my time with transplanting a TD27.... If your going to the trouble, ZD30DDTi (170BHP/353Nm). More pony's and torques than a QD32 (150BHP/333Nm).

a swap like this would take some serious research, especially since in the states there arnt any vehicles to look at or scrounge parts from. doing some reading it looks like the QD and ZD, and even some of the later TD engines were electronically controlled, sounds like a major pain to gather the parts. all engine swaps i have done to date i just buy a wrecked donor vehicle so that i have everything i need. Damn, sorry to to OP, i think i just pulled off the hijack of the century, i should probably start my own thread....... :puterpunch:

id like a Cummins 3.9 turbo diesel in my truck. Theres not much of a selection for smaller diesels in N America

The venerable Cummins 4bt would be sweet in a WD for sure, but the transmission and T-case that one would have to use to mate to one would be an awful tight squeeze, unless maybe you used a 4L60 and a NP231 from an s-10 or something, then who knows if it would handle it...