Odd Thing I Noticed

Toby

Anybody else notice that getting out of your WD21 in cold weather, you seem to attract more static than usual?

It seemed like the cold spell we got here in PA for a while, everytime I got out of my truck I'd get shocked.

Just a weird thing I noticed.

There are differnt factors. I haven't got zapped my my truck getting in and out of it yet, but generally...

1. don't slide out of the seat, more of a "jump" or pull myself out.

2. am normally wearing work clothes and don't wear a jacket when driving, at most a hooded sweater

3. I DO have cloth seat covers over my seats

4.(may be a factor :shrug: ) I DO have rubber floor mats (no floor static maby)

5. Taste the Rainbow (yes I'm currently eating wild berry Skittles)

theres proably more factors but I am suprised I know what I do know...

Cold air is drier and more dense, this increases the friction of air moving around your vehicle. While driving or just with the wind blowing this creates static electricity. Your Pathy has rubber tires wich insulate the metal body from the ground. When you touch your vehicle you provide the ground needed to basically create a small lightning bolt. An old friend of mine has a pace maker, the static shock kinda makes him paranoid. Every fall, he ties a short length of bare copper wire to his hitch and lets it rub the ground. He swears he has never been shocked since doing this.

Cold air is drier and more dense, this increases the friction of air moving around your vehicle. While driving or just with the wind blowing this creates static electricity. Your Pathy has rubber tires wich insulate the metal body from the ground. When you touch your vehicle you provide the ground needed to basically create a small lightning bolt. An old friend of mine has a pace maker, the static shock kinda makes him paranoid. Every fall, he ties a short length of bare copper wire to his hitch and lets it rub the ground. He swears he has never been shocked since doing this.

I am aware of how cold air is drier lol.

But I don't wear jackets half the time. Most would call me hard headed. But I call it "i have heat for a reason." lol So jeans and a t-shirt aren't exactly ways for me to create alot of static i believe.

I don't like to wear jackets in the truck either, usually just a hoodie but I will keep a jacket in the back just incase anything happens. I don't get the static though.

I don't like to wear jackets in the truck either, usually just a hoodie but I will keep a jacket in the back just incase anything happens. I don't get the static though.

I keep a jacket in the back and I never wear hoodies.

Anybody else notice that getting out of your WD21 in cold weather, you seem to attract more static than usual?

It seemed like the cold spell we got here in PA for a while, everytime I got out of my truck I'd get shocked.

Just a weird thing I noticed.

If you ground yourself to the vehicle, keep your right hand on the ignition switch bezel for instance, or any other part which is grounded to the body,the static will be passed to ground when your foot touches the pavement. Maybe. It works for me.

If you ground yourself to the vehicle, keep your right hand on the ignition switch bezel for instance, or any other part which is grounded to the body,the static will be passed to ground when your foot touches the pavement. Maybe. It works for me.

Sounds like alot of work. I think i'll just take the shock than to look completely daft holding onto my ignition while I get out lol

There are differnt factors. I haven't got zapped my my truck getting in and out of it yet, but generally..

5. Taste the Rainbow (yes I'm currently eating wild berry Skittles)

theres proably more factors but I am suprised I know what I do know...

Damnit,Nunyas posts are getting clearer and clearer all the time...

I seem to get shocked by just about everything no matter where I go. When I get out of the truck I touch the back of my hand to the body before trying to shut the door. If I don't, ZAP! The same goes for metal doors including freezer cases in the supermarket and just about any electronic equipment. My ex would make fun of me for it until I started zapping her instead of other grounded items. She didn't seem to find it funny after that.