89 Nissan Pathfinder - the fuel cutoff switch?

Guest mlindber

Guest mlindber

I just got into an accident in my 89 Nissan Pathfinder and now my car won't start. It was almost a head-on, going 10-15 mph. The front left headlight was broken, front left fender was dented, and the hood was bent. The police officer on the scene suggested it might have kicked in the emergency fuel cutoff switch. Unfortunately, I do not have the manual, and I can't locate this switch. Any attempts at searching around in the car have been in vain. Anybody have any ideas where I could find the manual online or maybe know where this supposed fuel cutoff switch may be?

i've never seen one on our rigs ... at least the early model pathys ... check fuses, ignition relay, fuel and igniton fusible links and check to see that the wiring loom that goes beneath where the hood rests is not damaged or severed due to your accident ...

Guest mlindber

There was no damage, other than the damage to the car. No fuses were blown, including the fuse to the emergency fuel cutoff switch, which indicates there probably is an emergency fuel cutoff switch of some kind.

After looking through the wiring diagrams from my Chilton's manual, it would apear that there is a "safety relay" which controls the fuel injectors only in case of malfunction or accident. The safety relay is orange in color and is located inside the Pathy, on the passenger's side in the front inside the lower plastic kick panel near the floor in front of the door. It's fusible link is located at the battery and feeds a white/blue wire that feeds power to the relay inside the vehicle. This may be what you're looking for.

I do know that some vehicles like Ford Mustang 5.0's have a fuel pump safety/accident shutoff switch like the one the police officer described to you, it's inside the trunk beside the trunk latch. I don't think the Pathfinder has the same thing, there may be something else wrong with your wiring or something.

Guest nitrousx

I have heard that the ecu may control this function also. I have not checked the manual for this information so I do not know how valid it is. if the switch is not locateable, my suggestion would be to reset your ecu.