Changing Rear Diff. Fluid

Shouldn't take too much effort. Drive your 'grinder around to warm up the fluid, shut it off, set P-Brake chock wheels, 1/2" ratchet or better yet 1/2" breaker bar. Depending on how many Wheaties you ate that morning you may need a cheater pipe on the rachet or breaker bar to get the plugs broke loose. Lefty losie, righty tightie. Make sure you can remove or at least verify you can remove the fill plug before you drain the pumkin. It would be a bad day if you drain it but couldn't refill. My notes from doing my '91 were 2.8 liters for an LSD. Drain plug torque specs as Chilton's report them are 43-72 ft. lbs on the H190A and H223B; or 29-43 ft. lbs on the C200. Chilton's also reports 5.9 pints of fluid for the rear and 3.1 if you have a 4WD. I didn't do the conversion from liters to pints but these volumes ought to get you close. No need to over fill you just need the lube up to the bottom of the fill opening as checked with your finger in the hole. Gear oil is stankie! Non-LSDs API GL-5, SAE 80W-90, LSD's Nissan Approved LSD lube. I'll be darned if I can find the API GL rating for the LSDs. Somebody else will surely throw that up if you need it.

• Like 1

I recommend Amsoil Severe gear 75W-90 for differentials w/wo LSDs. Or mobil 1 75W-90

For lockers and LSD's I recommend, Amsoil Slip-lock additive.

Last fluid change you will ever need with the Amsoil.

If you want to change the fluid, simply drain it, filiter it through a coffee filter and re-use. betacuse this is a pure synthetic, water wont mix, The coffee filter will remove any water and harmful debris and make it safe for re-use.

Yhe mobil1 is cheaper but a mineral based product that will need to be changed more often.

I just did this today (also swapped an LSD in place of open) and used castrol hypoy C 80w90 and some store brand LSD additive...Made by revive.

Worked great.