Flashing Airbag Light

new4x4r

have to take it to the dealership to clear, gonna cost you a pretty penny. that other plug by the obdII is the airbag system, only they and qualified shops have that. flashing means a power failure was detected, like the battery got disconnected for a second, or there was a power surge. mine surged a few months back, and the lights been flashing ever since. i've since ignored it and learned to tone it out. as long as the light is NOT solid, your airbag system is still functional.

for 1999 try,

turn your ignition to the on position (not start) within ten seconds of doing that press the Driver Side Door Switch 10 times and it should turn off/ reset

Here's the process to reset the air bag light (copied from somewhere else)

If you have the airbag light, it will show steady for a few seconds (the manual says 7 secs) after you turn the key from off to on (but not start) and then start to flash. Here is how to reset it:

Next time try this. it works for 2005 nissan fronteers

I also read someplace that you will get airbag flashing at 100,000 miles because nissan wants them in for a systems check.

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again.

I found this stuff from google search.

Steve

• Like 1

for 1999 try,

turn your ignition to the on position (not start) within ten seconds of doing that press the Driver Side Door Switch 10 times and it should turn off/ reset

press the drivers side door switch to what? lock? unlock? window lock? windows up or down? theres alot of switches on the drivers side door. :doh:

Well, non of those tips helped... I tried those steps about 5 times and nothing shut off the light and the airbag hasn't taken my head off yet so I'm not too worried.

Anyone else have any idear's before I give it the tape solution? hahaha

Ok, well I'm pretty sure I've ruined some connections in the steering wheel while installing the steering extension. Because it seems my horn, cruise control controls, and the airbag are all unhooked hahaa Dammit.. anyone know how to take the wheel (or airbag)off?

you can either tape off the led in the dash board, ignore the blink, or just get it fixed.

airbag is bolted to the wheel from behind, just take the plastic covers off and remove the bolts and it will come right off.

as i said before, the FLASHING means detected power failure, but your system is still fully FUNCTIONING. your only in deep shyt if its solid or doesnt light up when you turn your ignition. its an led, not a light bulb, so you dont have to worry about it burning out. i already tried pulling it out, just to be disappointed that its built into the rpm gauge.

You need a T30 tamper proof torx bit to remove the air bag. There are two small plastic panels that pop off on either side with bolts hidden underneath.

I wouldn't be surprised if you messed up the spiral cable. And they are NOT cheap.

No I haven't really tried much to fix it... had a look inside the little panels to see if I pulled a connector off, but no dice. They're on there pretty well.

I'm pretty sure I broke the coil wire. If thats the case, I'll just leave it for now. The flashing red light can(and has) been covered quite easily :-D

• 4 years later...

for 1999 try,

Here's the process to reset the air bag light (copied from somewhere else)

If you have the airbag light, it will show steady for a few seconds (the manual says 7 secs) after you turn the key from off to on (but not start) and then start to flash. Here is how to reset it:

Next time try this. it works for 2005 nissan fronteers

I also read someplace that you will get airbag flashing at 100,000 miles because nissan wants them in for a systems check.

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again.

I found this stuff from google search.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was 7 times in 10 seconds, i was backing out of the drive and it just started flashing one day. Reset it and haven't had issue with it. About the airbag exploding. " i know its a zombie thread" but just disconnect the batter and it shouldnt be an issue.

pat

• 9 years later...

question.

when i put my r50 into diagnostic mode - i get one long, and one short... repeats forever. With the Negative battery cable removed...i've removed the drivers seat belt tension-er, and sprayed out contact cleaner and also removed the connection to the srs module under the arm rest.  I've checked the fuse, and followed the FSM as much as i can without consult II access.  FSM says to replace the seat-belt tension-er, but i wanted to reach out, and get some ideas, or things to check as when i pulled the tension-er, its still in spec with 2.2 ohms, which is another reason, i haven't yelled pulled the trigger and replaced the unit.

i don't have access to a scanner that scans srs codes, and the autozone refuses to check as "they are not liable".  i know the dealer is always an option, but we are all mostly DIY'ers here, and i figure someone must have had this issue before??  is there any other connections between the Pillar and the SRS module ?

Edited by cshellen
added content about disconnecting negative battery terminal

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly I would buy one of the sub $100 scanners on amazon, I use bluedriver. It can read the SRS, ABS, SES, and whatever else codes on pretty much anything 96 and up.