Smelly Exhaust?

zelix

Hey, ive got a '95 XE with 265k km's.... dang the exhaust smell is terrible! i generally love the scent of fumes :P because they usually smell like gasoline witch smells good....

but this aint smelling like any gasoline to me!

So is this normal? Any problem? anything i can do about it?

Thanks!

my pathy btw

17874_418293735443_548120443_10803746_2791763_n.jpg

what does it smell like? is it burning oil? is the exhaust a bluish tint? is it burning coolant? white tint?

cant put a name to the smell besides it smells bad. exhaust in cold whether is white, when its warm there is no color and its not burning any oil as far as i can tell, but burning coolant i would have no idea.

• 1 month later...

I have a "rotting egg" smell from my exhaust from time to time. Not always. Ive been told it is prolly the Cat. Is there ant truth to that? Why would it be intermittent? Is there a easy fix or do I have to replace the cat?

In case anyone is wondering- No, a new tank of "good" gas will NOT fix a bad cat (Catalytic Converter); however, it will keep the good portion of the CC to continue functioning. BTW, it is the lead in leaded fuel will kill a CC; so somewhere, you got some leaded fuel into your tank.

Edited by Derrik

if it smells like rotten eggs its your cat which means its bad

hmm ok thanks..

when i find the time i'll just remove the cat completly and leave it at that.

see if a few others agree thats what my past experience have lead to. Its happened to 3 of my cats and they have all smelled like rotten eggs also i had a loss of power so once i removed it i gained my power back and no more smell.

I've never had a cat fail, but from everything I have ever heard, 'rotten egg smell' is the symptom.

Don't just remove the cat. It is actually there for a reason and is illegal to discard. You can get a high flow cat for about $100...

B

yeah get a nice high flow one i found them for like 30 bucks and mine works good same with a nice high flow muffler. I have a high flow magnaflow cat and a flowmaster 40 series muffer. sounds great besides my new mandifold tick thats coming :-)

I've never had a cat fail, but from everything I have ever heard, 'rotten egg smell' is the symptom.

Don't just remove the cat. It is actually there for a reason and is illegal to discard. You can get a high flow cat for about $100...

B

it might be illegal in California, but i know for a fact with the exception of washoe and clark counties in Nevada, you don't need a catalytic converter, or even a muffler for that fact. my pathy likes the hollowed out catalytic converter and the flow master 40 series muffler. it's got a nice rumble to it, and damn it's got some power pretty much straight piped.

yup thats how it is here in minnesota you can get a ticket for it being to loud but thats about it most trucks around here are straight piped. I used to have mine strait piped but it was to loud so i toned it down a tad.

*sigh*

In the US, it is illegal to remove and not replace (or hollow) the cat on a vehicle so equipped from the factory, regardless of local smog testing or not.

It's not worth aguing with people not to be irresponsible, but a high flow cat can be had cheaply and does not negatively affect the motors performance. You aren't running a nitro funny car, you have a 3 liter V6... :rolleyes:

B

*sigh*

In the US, it is illegal to remove and not replace (or hollow) the cat on a vehicle so equipped from the factory, regardless of local smog testing or not.

It's not worth aguing with people not to be irresponsible, but a high flow cat can be had cheaply and does not negatively affect the motors performance. You aren't running a nitro funny car, you have a 3 liter V6... :rolleyes:

B

:deadhorse:

Idiots are gonna be idiots, no matter what you tell them.

AND.... Its the PRINCIPLE of the matter.

Regardless if you think it makes no difference or not, everyone should at least make an attempt to do their part.

Its not very expensive to replace, and you would need to do something with the space thats there if you were to remove it anyway.

*sigh*

B

the magnaflow high flow cats i have looked at them. but from the website they are 250+..

now with all the things i want to do i can not justify paying that much, so i will just remove it, no testing whatsoever in Alberta i'm not gonna worry i understand its not very green but its definitely not gonna pollute near as much as lets say a semi truck.

i am only 15 and looking for a job. spent all my money buying the truck outright not gonna pay out the ass to be green lol.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-53004/

And that was the very first attempt to find anything.

Theres probably even cheaper ones out there I'm sure, if i was so inclined to look. But seeing how your 15, and from Alberta, I know being green is probably the farthest thing from your mind so you'll probably never even bother to look.

Edited by Dowser