Attempting To Get Reverse Back....

silverton

Long shot, as I've read reverse is sometimes the first gear to go. BUT, is there any hope I can cling to that there is hope that it can be fixed without replacing, or removing the transmission from the truck? All the forward gears work, and beautifully at that, you wouldn't even know the transmission had a problem if you never had to back the thing up. So, I'm just curious if there is a solenoid or a valve body that can be replaced by just removing the pan...

The valve body on the automatics in our trucks requires a complete disassembly of the transmission to get to them. The reverse gear goes out first because it requires the highest line pressure to operate. Your seals are likely leaking, and the passages may be clogged with clutch material. The forward gears are not far behind. You can sometimes milk the transmission along with a fluid flush and new filter, but you've only bought yourself a few months at best. Lucas transmission fix has mixed reviews, but its a $10-15 experiment. I solved my no-reverse issue with a new tranny. :shrug:

I had an intermittent no reverse issue and after flushing once, then a drain and fill, and a filter change the reverse works fine 99% of the time again....I've put 78,000kms on this tranny as well and it started doing it not long after i bought the truck....

Try putting it in drive, then quickly into reverse. I used to have to do that to make mine work. Or sometimes if you rev it then let the rpms come down and put it in R it will work.

Edited by adamzan

My '87 would have the problem of lagging for a few seconds before slamming into reverse, same with drive. I flushed the transmission and installed an aftermarket cooler and the problem cleared up. I put a lot of miles on the truck since then and it never had another hiccup.

I already drained the transmission and refilled. but I may have put in a half quart extra. it basically filled my 5 quart drain pan so I put 5 quarts back into it. When I put the shifter in R the truck acts like it's going to actually do it. The engine rpm raises to compensate for being put into a gear. When I give it some gas, it does nothing but free rev like it's in neutral. I will try the D to R quickly just to see if anything happens...

drain a quart from the tranny and try the Lucas, it is a band-aid, but will increase the viscosity of the tranny fluid and force the pressures higher, I have had really good luck with it in GM transmissions. one actually that was slipping and i was able to get 20k more miles out of it with the Lucas.

drain a quart from the tranny and try the Lucas, it is a band-aid, but will increase the viscosity of the tranny fluid and force the pressures higher, I have had really good luck with it in GM transmissions. one actually that was slipping and i was able to get 20k more miles out of it with the Lucas.

Thanks, I will try this. Just need it to last long enough for me to be able to save up funds to rebuild my other cars engine, and then I'll focus on repairing the pathy.

I tried the quick shift from D to R a couple times and got nothing. It'll have to be til next friday when I can buy some of the lucas product. I just recently started working again and that's when I get my first paycheck.

You gotta let drive engage then throw it in reverse. unless you did that. that always got mine to work.

I did. even with a quick swift movement to R, once the stick hit N it was out of gear and stayed out.

Park where if you need reverse it's a downhill coast? Seriously though for the couple bucks it is I'd try some Lucas as said to try to get a couple more miles out of it. But plan on spending some $$$ to make it right...

(Man am I happy I have a manuel)

Since I bought it almost three weeks ago I haven't gotten into a position where I couldn't get out. parking situations at home and at work are pretty easy. Today, just messing around, I was cruising down a street doing 35 and thought I'd see what putting it in R would do while moving forward. There were definitely some noises from the transmission but nothing too exciting happened.

There are a couple transmissions on craigslist right now, I called on one and dude wanted 350 for it, TC attached as well, but it's already pulled and all he said was "ran good while it was still in the truck". I've dealt with too many shady people on CL....

check car-part.com, if you are going with a used one. I know its a lot of $, but for all the hassle of putting one in, I'd try to find a lower mileage one, or a rebuild.

Any luck with the Lucas Transmission Fix?

Since I bought it almost three weeks ago I haven't gotten into a position where I couldn't get out. parking situations at home and at work are pretty easy. Today, just messing around, I was cruising down a street doing 35 and thought I'd see what putting it in R would do while moving forward. There were definitely some noises from the transmission but nothing too exciting happened.

There are a couple transmissions on craigslist right now, I called on one and dude wanted 350 for it, TC attached as well, but it's already pulled and all he said was "ran good while it was still in the truck". I've dealt with too many shady people on CL....

I'd never buy something like a trans on CL unless it was in a truck I could drive to test it.

If you buy it online make sure you pay for it with a credit card not a debit card. That way if it turns out to be bad you've got a chance at disputing the charge. Just my 2

check car-part.com, if you are going with a used one. I know its a lot of $, but for all the hassle of putting one in, I'd try to find a lower mileage one, or a rebuild.

Any luck with the Lucas Transmission Fix?

I just started working so I haven't any money to buy anything, begging parents/aunt for gas money just to get to and from work.

I'd never buy something like a trans on CL unless it was in a truck I could drive to test it.

If you buy it online make sure you pay for it with a credit card not a debit card. That way if it turns out to be bad you've got a chance at disputing the charge. Just my 2

Yeah, that is why I'm weary about it, but I'll probably have to bite the bullet and do it.