Truck On Fire

jimmaw

so on my way to hilliard, fl tonight, (basically georgia) the floor of my truck caught fire. the exhaust broke right under my feet and heated the floor untill it got so hot the carpet melted and caught fire. will post pics tomorrow after i fix exhaust, now to get drunk and go to bed. by the way i got half way there and then turned around and came home because of the smoke in the cab and not wanting to have to drive back on sunday with out this properly fixed.

Sorry to hear, but more common than you think. I patched that section of floor in my first 95 and this new one seems to have a weak place as well but I haven't messed with it since I got a custom exhaust. I'll be making sure it is sturdy this spring.

The patching method is everything from formed sheet metal, fiberglass patch, welding in a new plate to baking trays with pot holders (don't ask!! :lol:).

B

I actually have a service bulletin around here that Nissan sent out to the dealers for the repair. You can buy replacement floor pans, but it is usually easier to just patch back any hole with sheet metal.

you laugh but it worked and I haven't had any problems since.

I know, it works and that's all that matters, but you have to admit it does sound horribly Red Green/ghetto fab... :D

B

so here's some pics of the damage

P1010068.jpg

P1010069.jpg

P1010071.jpg

both of the bolts connecting this part of the exhaust broke, so i replaced them. the heat caused the fire

P1010073.jpg

Edited by jimmaw

yeah but now i have bits of melted carpet on my shoes, and a pair of pants were also harmed in the fire, nothing major just a tiny hole burned through them while i stomped out the fire

I actually have a service bulletin around here that Nissan sent out to the dealers for the repair. You can buy replacement floor pans, but it is usually easier to just patch back any hole with sheet metal.

Post it up :aok:

That was just crazy. Its lucky that you stopped it before it got out of control. I had a friend once who I was on a road trip with in an Audi 4000 and the Cat caught fire and we could smelll something so he pulled into a GAS station and got out at the pumps to look at it when it suddenly burst into flames and we could do nothing but get way back. It burned fast and was intense. We just knew it was going to cause the pumps to explode, but it didn't. There were perfect pools of aluminum underneath where the wheels once were that looked like silver hershey kisses. We were lucky that no one got hurt.

That was just crazy. Its lucky that you stopped it before it got out of control. I had a friend once who I was on a road trip with in an Audi 4000 and the Cat caught fire and we could smelll something so he pulled into a GAS station and got out at the pumps to look at it when it suddenly burst into flames and we could do nothing but get way back. It burned fast and was intense. We just knew it was going to cause the pumps to explode, but it didn't. There were perfect pools of aluminum underneath where the wheels once were that looked like silver hershey kisses. We were lucky that no one got hurt.

Lol wouldn't there be at least 5 Fire extuigishers at the gas station?

Lol wouldn't there be at least 5 Fire extuigishers at the gas station?

Like they tell us at work; the fire extenguisher is not for fighting the fire, it's for clearing a way for you to get the hell out! So if you path to get away is clear screw the fire extinguisher and haul butt! Unless in this case you owned the gas station. :D

James