ok just got the pathy back in driving status and now the tranny i just put in blew third gear (auto) 1st 2nd revs like neutral and the motor is getting tired anyways (240xxx)miles and i got a 70s ford 360 and a manual tranny to go with it so i thought i would look into it. i also got my hands on a jeep waggy axle so the swap will be with an sas but im looking for motor mounts and cross members and other components and cant really find much so im going to the fans of npora to help me out i can custom make cross members and motor mounts and such so any pics info would be great planing on taking tons of pics and videos plus there is gona be a ton of parts up for grabs for ppl in the north west.

I'd say go for it, I think this summer I'm going to be throwing a sbc in mine as my engine seems to need a rebuild but I have a 327 so I thought if I was going to rebuild something, why not rebuild something bigger... looking forward to seeing some pics and a write up!

BTW, check cardomain.com for some others that have done it, I've found some pathy's with sbc's, might have some with ford v8's too...

Edited by Soccerstudd5

If your going to spend the time and money to swap in a V8, why not swap in something worth it? Something with more hp and gas mileage then your current one?

All comes down to money. Plus, he already has the motor and trans. Why bother moving on?

Jose

If your going to spend the time and money to swap in a V8, why not swap in something worth it? Something with more hp and gas mileage then your current one?

Titan VK56?

If you put that big heavy F block in your pathy it will stand up on the nose like a weeble if you hit the brake too hard. Also I don't remember the ford tranys having the transfer case mated to the tranny. It was on the frame with a drive shaft going to it on the ones I worked on looong ago. I would go with the good old chevy 350 if I did a V8 swap. The VK56 would be ideal if you had a donor truck but now a days the computer systems are tied into the whole truck. Maybe with a stand alone computer system. And you would be sticking with nissan.

James

If you put that big heavy F block in your pathy it will stand up on the nose like a weeble if you hit the brake too hard. Also I don't remember the ford tranys having the transfer case mated to the tranny. It was on the frame with a drive shaft going to it on the ones I worked on looong ago. I would go with the good old chevy 350 if I did a V8 swap. The VK56 would be ideal if you had a donor truck but now a days the computer systems are tied into the whole truck. Maybe with a stand alone computer system. And you would be sticking with nissan.

James

some trannys r split some r married. Chevy motors r worthless and u can pump any motor out and really a ford 360 wont way that much more than a Chevy 350 when im trail runnin anyways i have a ton of weight in the back tools tire hi lift chains ect.

a ford 360 will have a ton of power and like i said there is a ton u can do to the motor for more hp and if i leave the motor stock i can pull high teens out of it for mpg better then i get now with the vg30i

Well how aboot say piss on the old fe wide block motor and go out and get yourself a 500ci caddy big block,400hp,500lbs and when you put a aluminum intake on them they weigh maybe 50 pounds more then a iron headed 350...

I now your just saying chevys are worthless because you a ford fan and thats what ford people do...Theres really nothing wrong with your idea since you already have the engine and tranny,if you didnt already have the engine and tranny I would of said go with a sbc instead of a old fe360.A fe 360 made in the best year 245 hp,which is pleanty to move a pathfinder,but if your looking for better milage I will say look at putting a 302 ford or 305 chevy with a od tranny in there.The old FE engines are gas hogs(Fe are 352,360,390,406 cubic inch engines if you didnt know,FE stands for Ford Edsel)Ford makes good engines(I have 4 ford products,a 89 f150/306 4spd,86 c-vic 302,1992 ford tores 3.0/new rebuilt heads at 220k,currently 260 or 280k,and a 2002 f150fx4 with the 5.4.I also have a 1991 camaro rs 305 and 2 65 chevy impala/283 p-glide and 305 th200.I must say that the small cube chevys deliver much better power ranges and mpg then the same size fords.

If your going to stick with your old 360 then at least spend the money and get a gearvenders over drive or a od tranny to put behind it because the engine will be spining around 3500 rpm at 55 with ether the 4.3 or 4.6 gears.

some trannys r split some r married. Chevy motors r worthless and u can pump any motor out and really a ford 360 wont way that much more than a Chevy 350 when im trail runnin anyways i have a ton of weight in the back tools tire hi lift chains ect.

I think he was bs about the weight,all small blocks usally weigh within about a 100lbs of each other...

a ford 360 will have a ton of power and like i said there is a ton u can do to the motor for more hp and if i leave the motor stock i can pull high teens out of it for mpg better then i get now with the vg30i

Ok,if you think you can pull high teens mpg with the 360 and 4spd(or 3spd) thats behind that engine then your on something.I get a best of maybe 12mpg in my 89 with a fuelie 306 v8(302 bored .020 over,I think its acually a 305 but I call it a 306) with a t18 4spd tranny and 3.55 gears going 55...I dont spin the tires in it ether or whind it up that often.

I run the stock size 235/75-15 tires on it too,if I still had my 33inch ground hawgs then I would get better mpg cruizing because the bigger the tire the higher(3.55 too 3.23 or something) the gear ratio is.A q-jet carb will help you mpg since they have smaller primarys plus there are hard to beat off road.But with out a od you arnt goint to get a high teen mpg out of it,not a chance in hell.Plus you want to lift it which will cut down on mpgs even more.

Edited by nismothunder

Well how aboot say piss on the old fe wide block motor and go out and get yourself a 500ci caddy big block,400hp,500lbs and when you put a aluminum intake on them they weigh maybe 50 pounds more then a iron headed 350...

I now your just saying chevys are worthless because you a ford fan and thats what ford people do...Theres really nothing wrong with your idea since you already have the engine and tranny,if you didnt already have the engine and tranny I would of said go with a sbc instead of a old fe360.A fe 360 made in the best year 245 hp,which is pleanty to move a pathfinder,but if your looking for better milage I will say look at putting a 302 ford or 305 chevy with a od tranny in there.The old FE engines are gas hogs(Fe are 352,360,390,406 cubic inch engines if you didnt know,FE stands for Ford Edsel)Ford makes good engines(I have 4 ford products,a 89 f150/306 4spd,86 c-vic 302,1992 ford tores 3.0/new rebuilt heads at 220k,currently 260 or 280k,and a 2002 f150fx4 with the 5.4.I also have a 1991 camaro rs 305 and 2 65 chevy impala/283 p-glide and 305 th200.I must say that the small cube chevys deliver much better power ranges and mpg then the same size fords.

If your going to stick with your old 360 then at least spend the money and get a gearvenders over drive or a od tranny to put behind it because the engine will be spining around 3500 rpm at 55 with ether the 4.3 or 4.6 gears.

as far as top seed im not worried about it. from then on it will be towed to wheelin sites

Ok,if you think you can pull high teens mpg with the 360 and 4spd(or 3spd) thats behind that engine then your on something.I get a best of maybe 12mpg in my 89 with a fuelie 306 v8(302 bored .020 over,I think its acually a 305 but I call it a 306) with a t18 4spd tranny and 3.55 gears going 55...I dont spin the tires in it ether or whind it up that often.

I run the stock size 235/75-15 tires on it too,if I still had my 33inch ground hawgs then I would get better mpg cruizing because the bigger the tire the higher(3.55 too 3.23 or something) the gear ratio is.A q-jet carb will help you mpg since they have smaller primarys plus there are hard to beat off road.But with out a od you arnt goint to get a high teen mpg out of it,not a chance in hell.Plus you want to lift it which will cut down on mpgs even more.

i have an 1978 for f150 2wd with a 400m auto and it gets high teens on mpg all day long if u have em tuned in right and drive them like a grandma no problem

Um, is this a discussion on why he should pick a different motor or how he is gonna put the motor he has in there? Plain and simple he already has the motor. No need to spend $500 or more on a new motor when that could be put into putting the motor in his PF. Let's get on with this! I want to see.

Jose

Sorry I didn't mean to start something. I do want to see a V8 swap done and how it works with everything else. I'm just a fan of reliable 300 hp and 20+ mpg V8's :my2cents:

I mean if you have a solid engine and tranny to use, then by all means!

i have an 1978 for f150 2wd with a 400m auto and it gets high teens on mpg all day long if u have em tuned in right and drive them like a grandma no problem

Well thats a 2 wheel drive truck with probly a 2... or 3.23 gear ratio,after 77 the 400m had something like 7.6-1 compresion and there considered econmy engines for trucks.My uncle has a 79 f250 2 spinner with the same engine and a c6,he said he didnt think he ever got better then 8mpg before it was rebuilt(its built about as much as a 400m can)

But the fact still stands,the engine is going in a 3800 pound truck thats going to be lifted and on big tires which will affect mpg's even more.

Well thats a 2 wheel drive truck with probly a 2... or 3.23 gear ratio,after 77 the 400m had something like 7.6-1 compresion and there considered econmy engines for trucks.My uncle has a 79 f250 2 spinner with the same engine and a c6,he said he didnt think he ever got better then 8mpg before it was rebuilt(its built about as much as a 400m can)

But the fact still stands,the engine is going in a 3800 pound truck thats going to be lifted and on big tires which will affect mpg's even more.

i think i stated things wrong im saying i can get high teen mpg with a 360 if u try i can get tons of power (no mpg) i was just saying. but to settel this i will just do the swap and report the results.

• 2 months later...

got my dana 44 outa a 88 wagoneer getting ready 4 the sas what gears are you guys putting in them to get close to the stock rear gears? and i have a 302 insted of a 360 with a c4 tranny and an np205 planing on doing the dubbler kit on it. sas first then ill change the heart.

P1000424.jpg

P1000429.jpg

Edited by bigfisch1191

got my dana 44 outa a 88 wagoneer getting ready 4 the sas what gears are you guys putting in them to get close to the stock rear gears? and i have a 302 insted of a 360 with a c4 tranny and an np205 planing on doing the dubbler kit on it. sas first then ill change the heart.

P1000424.jpg

P1000429.jpg

I am getting ready to do a waggy swap as well, I am using gunine gear 4.89 in the front and xterra 4.9 gears in the rear, This gives a little bit of pull to the front that works very well offroad. I am sticking with the stock engine tranny for now though.

Edited by BoneZ