Hardbody To Pathy Headlight Swap

Mr. Pickles

I have a busted passenger side headlight from a rock or something, no biggie just a 1/8" hole or so, and its the 2nd time I've had this happen. The question is, I have some aftermarket composite style Hardbody headlights I picked up when considering swapping front end trim and/or going to a custom bumper. Mine have no mounting hardware, they are just the "buckets"/housings where you would put in the bulb. Has anybody tried mounting something like this to a Pathfinder, and did you scavenge parts from a Hardbody or something else? I know the Pathfinder and Hardbody headlights are not interchangeable, though the Hardbody ones may fit with some excess gaps in the larger Pathfinder openings. I'm just curious before I start buying or digging for stuff.

you need a hardbody grill.

I know the Pathfinder and Hardbody headlights are not interchangeable, though the Hardbody ones may fit with some excess gaps in the larger Pathfinder openings.

you got that backwards, the pathfinder headlight would fit in a hardbody, but the hardbody headlight is square on the inside corner and the pathy has a 45° at the inside corner.

Edited by slade420

Scavange the mounts and buckets from a junk yard HB. They use a couple different mounting points on the rad support then the wd21 headlights do which are already drilled/threaded in the rad support, no modifying needed. Cut the plugs off the back of the headlights of the doner as well(or any vechile with the same size rectangle headlights, they all use the same plug) with some pigtails to use for splicing in. If you want it to be reversable easily, just splice some flat blade male connectors onto the back of the "new" plugs and stick em in the old plugs, if not concerned cut the old ones off and make it a little more solid. Find the HB grille style of your liking (theres a fiew different ones plus your choice of black or chrome) and get the matching side markers as well since the wd21 lights have a different way the trim is cut. It's relitavy simple with nothing more than a couple hand tools needed.

The buckets remove from the mounts at the adjusters... As any rectangle sealed beam does, not trying to be smart just did it twice (current and parts truck when that was possibly goeing to be driven)

The buckets remove from the mounts at the adjusters... As any rectangle sealed beam does, not trying to be smart just did it twice (current and parts truck when that was possibly goeing to be driven)

my bad..you are correct bro...Reason why I said no need for the brackets is coz when I pulled mine out I pulled it with the bracket and didnt even look close that the bucket is separate form the mount. Thought it was all one piece

1264967083000012000.jpg

Edited by PATHRIDER

Yeah ...as a matter of fact I swapped the wifes pathy to a hb also ..Funny thing is I like the hb on our pathy and the pathy headlights on hb..I also have the same grille as what you got..the one with like a V in the middle..I dont like the plain straight grilles :beer:

you need a hardbody grill.

you got that backwards, the pathfinder headlight would fit in a hardbody, but the hardbody headlight is square on the inside corner and the pathy has a 45° at the inside corner.

Actutally your both right,

the PF light is just too big for the HB grille and will not go over them w/o modifacation (see my grille pics)

the HB light sits higher in the grille and will not clear the top edge of the pf grille and maybe not that corner. plus the gaps....

th_daygrille.jpg

• 8 months later...

To put PF headlights in a HB what modifications must be made to the hardware? It bolts right in?

Besides the plug swap for the different headlight bulbs, its a bolt on swap. If you get confused readign the couple things floating around about it, send a message to one of the people who did the swap. I doubt there will be an issue helping you understand more :aok:

once you get the part pictured in post #6 the link below is your best option for the lamp. It uses interchangeable bulbs instead of being a seald beam and the light output is tremenous esp when you combine with a relay mod. I would have done this myself exept my I had already done my own lighting before I found out. But I do have a 2nd pathy so I could do a side by side comparision now lol.

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/default/auxiliary-lamps/halogen-lamps/sealed-beam-conversion-headlamps/vision-plus-conversion-headlamp/

Here is a pic of my hardbody headlight to my 94 path swap with my aftermarket grille, there are gaps on each side of the grill as the corner lights for a hardbody are different than the pathfinder lights

30136ma.jpg

I would keep the Hardbody H4 lights, instead of the Pathfinder 9004s. There is infinitely more choices for some seriously powerful lighting set ups with H4s and a hefty relayed wiring harness. 135W low and 160W high is what I have in my Datsun 620 pickup, they are like a new sun lighting up the night. :aok:

CieBie lenses are a European code spec, so you can run the insane amounts of power without blinding oncoming traffic.

right now the centers are not connected as the drivers side light had developed a crack and the chrome on the reflector is all flaking off. I picked up a headlight out of a BMW 525i in the junkyard to see if I could use it to replace the bad light in the grille, but it ended up being just a 1/4" too small in diameter so I have to keep looking for a replacement.

As for adjust ability, the grille lights are mounted by 3 screws and each can be tightened or loosened to adjust the light up/down or side to side.

Oh, in response to others suggestions for that flat spot in the grille I did pick up two 4x4 emblems off of a 2 door pf last weekend to possibly put in that spot.

Edited by ahardb0dy

there probably is, even if I can mount the lights to just fit into that opening the problem is the depth of the lights, dr. side is slightly better but on pass. side the AC drier is right there. Original light brand in grille is Cerullo, found them online but only saw regular lights nothing like I have