Pulley Whine

92Pathmaker

A couple weeks ago driving down the pass I heard a whine that sounded like like bad gears or tranny. It was coming from the front and I was in 4wd, so thinking that it was the front diff I put it in 2wd and nothing changed. When I looked under the hood it sounds like it is coming from the pulley above the cooling fan or behind there in the timing area. The whine gets louder depending on RPMs. It doesn't matter if it is under load or not.

I don't know what this pulley is for or if this is a typical symptom of something about to break. Thanks for any help upfront.

Image002.jpg

That be your tensioner pully for the a/c belt IIRC. Bearing could be goeing in it. Loosen it and take the belt off, spin the pully by hand and listen/feel for your noise or a sticking bearing. Fire the truck up with no belt on that pully and see if the noise is gone(not too long if it also is the primary belt for the w/p or the alt). If so it might be time to think about taking a couple minutes to change it and put some new belts on since your there(a little preventive maintnance never hurts when your literally right there).

That belt is strictly for the AC so you are just fine in removing it completely if the bearing is bad. I have 2 idler pulley units for the AC sitting in my garage, complete with the pulley and bracket with bolts, if you want to keep the AC.

I'll just take it off, I won't be needing AC until July anyway

Kingman, How much would you want for a pulley unit?

Don't just take it off. Running without the belt can cause the compressor to seize, as it does kick on from time to time to keep itself lubricated, not to mention, the defrost works FAR better with AC.

Don't just take it off. Running without the belt can cause the compressor to seize, as it does kick on from time to time to keep itself lubricated, not to mention, the defrost works FAR better with AC.

Really? My ac never comes on even with the defrost unless I push the ac button.

There is a leak in my ac system so it wouldn't affect the defrost. I sprayed some wd40 on it two days ago and now it isn't making as much noise. I haven't had a chance to work on it yet, I've been too busy, maybe in the morning. What if I remove the pulley and belt, then disconnect the wiring harness so it doesn't kick on to lube up?

Really? My ac never comes on even with the defrost unless I push the ac button.

You're not paying enough attention. The defrost system is designed to use AC if so equipped.

Once it is above freezing on my day off I'll try greasing it, but I think that the bearing is shot because it just started all of a sudden.

What is OSH?

OSH is Orchard Supply Hardware. What he is saying is that this is a common bearing size, easy to find and very easy to replace instead getting a 'new' unit. When I replaced mine on an old truck, I could have sworn it was a sealed bearing so I don't know how much good lubing it will do in the long run. Once it starts howling, just change it...

B

I took it off today, and no more whine. It looks like the bearing is just held in with a snap ring. I'm just going to change it out when ever I get a chance.

I didn't see many wires going to the compressor. one looked like a sensor and there was one black wire that could be disconnected easily. I want to cut the power to it so that it won't turn on to lube and seize up.

I took it off today, and no more whine. It looks like the bearing is just held in with a snap ring. I'm just going to change it out when ever I get a chance.

I didn't see many wires going to the compressor. one looked like a sensor and there was one black wire that could be disconnected easily. I want to cut the power to it so that it won't turn on to lube and seize up.

Just pull the AC fuse.