My OBX Header Install

SamTex

I use Obx headers. About the collectors. They are 2" but there are two of them! That is ample flow for a 2.5" system. They would even suit a 3" exhaust system. You wouldnt want 2x 2.5" collectors. That would decrease efficiency and u would need like a 4" exhaust to suit it. Way too large.

You do have to make your own y-pipe as it fits completely differently than the stock one. I moved the crossover behind the auto trans oil pan and header wrapped it for heat protection. They are great headers though and they sound bad ass.

Has anyone had a shop put these on? Any idea how many hours it took them? I have a 2 inch body lift and have had both manifolds replaced once, so I don't anticipate any stud difficulties, I also don't want to put Logs back on...as this is the 2nd cracked set on this truck.

I have a 3" body lift and while they do clear fine once they are in, they are a pain to GET in. I believe I had to remove one of the exhaust studs to snake it in place. Pretty sure it was the passenger side I had trouble with. Driver side was fine. I do have a vg33 swapped in though so it has the larger studs...i never fit the headers to my stock vg30 but i imagine it would be the same. It wont take a shop all that long to put the headers in place but it will be a bit for them to build the new y pipe and transition it into your exhaust . I made an entirely custom exhaust system when i put mine in so can't help ya there. Time to put them in should be around 1.5 to 2 hours tops but the y pipe I couldn't tell ya.

Sorry I didn't post a link but what do you think about these http://m.ebay.com/itm/150951542217?nav=VI&sbk=1

In combination with the stock y-pipe?

Honestly, I think the stock Y-Pipe would choke off any gains to be had with the headers. If you do headers then you'd benefit from an appropriately sized Y-Pipe. I'm also interested in fitting the Z32 headers (with the D21 exhaust flange welded in).

What I like about these headers is that they are about one half the cost of other WD21/D21 header options. And if you have a 2WD V6 Hardbody like I do, then you've got to get creative.

Honestly, I think the stock Y-Pipe would choke off any gains to be had with the headers. If you do headers then you'd benefit from an appropriately sized Y-Pipe. I'm also interested in fitting the Z32 headers (with the D21 exhaust flange welded in).

What I like about these headers is that they are about one half the cost of other WD21/D21 header options. And if you have a 2WD V6 Hardbody like I do, then you've got to get creative.

That was dumb... But anyway thanks for the advice, the more I thought about it I came to the same conclusion you did about the y-pipe... I'm just going to go with the long tube obx since my motor is out and it should be easier to snake them in there...

• 1 year later...

Just did a 3.3 swap in my 94 pathfinder and found that my Thorley headers are cracked on the number 3 and 6 short pipe where they meet the collector so looking for something else and looking at the obx also. After reading through this post am trying to decide if should get the 300zx headers and see if would bolt up the the Thorley y-pipe.

Contact Thorley, I believe they have a life time gaurentee and will weld them up for free. A couple of people have had to do that IIRC.

Of course, you are down for the time it takes... :shrug:

B

• 3 weeks later...

Contacted Thorley and was told they do not warranty headers after 1 year. After the money I spent for them figured would last more than 3 years. Will purchase something else that hopefully will last.

• 5 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but does anyone know where to find these OBX headers?  I know it's been a while.

I've got a 1993 WD21 with a 1.5" body lift, and after 320K it's time to redo the stock exhaust.  I can only find the low-budget stainless headers for 98+ rigs with the VG33.  I know they would bolt to the motor, but would I be able to fit them in the vehicle?