31's on stock finder? good idea with out lift?

Gunstone

I was just curious, if i was to put 31's on a stock 1995 pathfinder, do i have the clearance and it would it burn out my tranny, ive herd stories of bigger tired destroying your car. I am new to off-roading so any information would be helpful.

Some pathfinders came with 31's stock... your tranny should be fine.

You may experience some minor clearance issues which I believe can be easily remedied... I'll let a WD21 owner help you with that.

Search is your friend here, but yes you can put 31's under it with no issues at all. Some came out with 30's and others 31's as stock.

Here is my stock std 95 on 31's and with no rubbing issues.

220804023.jpg

Edited by kiwipete

The general answer is no. To go larger than 31s you need a combination of lift(s) (body lift [bL] and/or suspension lift [sL]) and rims with the appropriate back spacing.

The details of how and what you can accomplish with what lift can be found in other threads by searching.

Happy Trails!

Edited by andreus009

There are pinned topics on body and suspension lifts in the garage section. Check those out and then ask if there is something you don't understand.

Nothing personal, just this question gets asked at least every month... ;)

B

Ok thank you, the info given is much appreciated. i will have a look at the other forums. I tryed looking on the site for this question, but i wanted jsut to make it specific.

Thanks

My 89 came stock with 31's but my 93 needed the removal of some esthetic pieces to make them fit? I had to take off the corner pieces of the metal skirting that sits below the bumper and wraps around to the fender. You'll need at minimum of 5" lift, whether body or suspension or combination to fit biiger tires as well as some off set rims, but it can be acomplished on a limited budget. Have fun with it and don't rush anything.

stock 87 on 31x10.50R15 Dunlop Mud Rovers...the only issue i had was my truck was the version that didn't come with 31's as an option so at full wheel lock the nobs on the tires would grab the frame but I quickly learned how car I could turn the wheel...they're on stock wheels and there was no issue of rubbing fenders or anything

20500780006_large.jpg

20500780007_large.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I have some 31" Geolander Mud Terrains on my 95. And the only issue I have is when I have a full back seat and some gear in the back. The knobs rub my fender flares around corners but that's it. Cause I go wheeling with mine all the time with a buddy or two. And I have no issues at all.

Might I suggest that those of you having issues with 31 inch tyres, look at your sagging old suspension?

As many have said, their trucks came with 31's from factory like mine did with no issues.

stock 87 on 31x10.50R15 Dunlop Mud Rovers...the only issue i had was my truck was the version that didn't come with 31's as an option so at full wheel lock the nobs on the tires would grab the frame but I quickly learned how car I could turn the wheel...they're on stock wheels and there was no issue of rubbing fenders or anything

you know on mine that came with 235 75 15 it only rubs with the wheel turned to the left and going forward, it doesn't do it in reverse :blink: . Also it did not rub at all with the lego rims and 31's but with the chrome XE type wheels and 31's it does what I just described...

you have to adjust the steering stops when using 31s on pathfinders that did not come with 31s

Not always, but those who are rubbing the frame might want to do that. Both of mine came with the chromes and 235s, I have ran both with 31s on aftermarket wheels since and never had frame rub, but without a bodylift I rub the bottom rear corner of the front fenders.

Not always, but those who are rubbing the frame might want to do that. Both of mine came with the chromes and 235s, I have ran both with 31s on aftermarket wheels since and never had frame rub, but without a bodylift I rub the bottom rear corner of the front fenders.

The fsm has different length specs for adjustment on the steering stop bolts depending on tire size.

Edited by R3DN1CK

mine had 31" tires, but due to budget issues and a smoking deal... I now shamefully admit to having 235/75r15 now.

Please leave your man card with the front desk and quietly exit via the side door... :D

:itsallgood:

B

The fsm has different length specs for adjustment on the steering stop bolts depending on tire size.

I know that, FSM only covers stock components also. Given my aftermarket wheels, I don't rub the frame with my 31s with the stops adjusted for 235s (stock). Most who have rubbing issues are using stock wheel backspace and 31s on a vehicle that had 235s, and stops set for 235s.

Please leave your man card with the front desk and quietly exit via the side door... :D

:itsallgood:

B

4 lightly used BFG all terrains for $40 cash.... you can have my man card, Got plenty of saved $$$ to buy another one. :wackinit:

I know that, FSM only covers stock components also. Given my aftermarket wheels, I don't rub the frame with my 31s with the stops adjusted for 235s (stock). Most who have rubbing issues are using stock wheel backspace and 31s on a vehicle that had 235s, and stops set for 235s.

I was just saying if you had a rub issue, maybe you could adjust the bolts or replace them with longer ones?