Question About Gl4

Toby

since i don't have time or anything to order Redline. What are some good readily available GL4 gear oils i can get from like advanced auto parts?

The nissan dealer said their oil supplier isn't giving them anymore GL4 and switching everything over to GL5... But I read somewhere here GL5 doesn't like our transmissions/transfer cases/differentials so much. So im trying to find some since i gotta get the speed sensor gear from nissan now. The guy said he had a partial drum of GL4 so i'm gonna try and get some from that. but if i can't i need a backup plan.

it's all for my transfer case btw

In my area, sta-lube and royal purple are the only local purchase brands that make a GL-4 spec lube.

you are correct, GL5 may contain chemicals that can degrade bras and bronze syncromesh gears found in our transmissions.

It will not harm our differentials or our t-cases. But if your t-case fwd seal is worn it will mix with your tranny.

the GL4 specifation has a requirement that sreens for those harmfull elements.

I just use redline because sta lube in 75w90 is getting harder to find (local vendor now only carries 75w140) and I can order reline directly for less than I can buy royal purple. In fact I just ordered a gallon over the hollidays and it still arrived in 3 days.

Edited by MY1PATH

3 days is still just too long for me. Literally. as soon as I get my speed sensor gear it's going right in and the fluid is going in. There's no more waiting. It's been at my step brother's shop for WAY too long. He's lost his patience because it's been in the way of his business.

Have you called all your local parts stores to see when they can get some RedLine in? My local National Auto Parts had it the next morning, would have been the same day, but I asked for it to late in the afternoon.

Assuming you simply cannot get RL soon enough...

If you have any CarQuest parts stores near you then give them a call, make double sure they understand GL4 ONLY not GL5 "GL4 Compatible".

I have not tired others, but a nearby (Spanaway/Parkland WA) CarQuest has.. or "had" a while back.. straight GL4 in a five gallon buckets in stock.

Also, call local gear and hydraulic shops, there used to be one down near the Port of Tacoma that always had drums full in stock. Who knows now though shrug.gif

The nissan dealer said their oil supplier isn't giving them anymore GL4 and switching everything over to GL5... But I read

Yes, that is correct. The part number for Nissan is: 999MP-1XGPP0P for GL4 of GL5. It is onr of the few things where the formula changed but the part number did not. The only way you will find GL4 is if you can find a dealer with older stock still on the shelf, but you will have to ask them specifically if they have the GL4 bottles. Your best bet would be a rural or older dealership if you really want the older bottle.

-Rob

I have not tired others, but a nearby (Spanaway/Parkland WA) CarQuest has.. or "had" a while back.. straight GL4 in a five gallon buckets in stock.

carquest did not have any Last spring when I rebuilt a tx10

Yes, that is correct. The part number for Nissan is: 999MP-1XGPP0P for GL4 of GL5. It is onr of the few things where the formula changed but the part number did not. The only way you will find GL4 is if you can find a dealer with older stock still on the shelf, but you will have to ask them specifically if they have the GL4 bottles. Your best bet would be a rural or older dealership if you really want the older bottle.

-Rob

I asked when I ordered the gear and they said that there might be some GL4 left. They said they know they have a partial drum left. So i'll have to see.

Yes, that is correct. The part number for Nissan is: 999MP-1XGPP0P for GL4 of GL5. It is onr of the few things where the formula changed but the part number did not.

Maybe, this is one of modern synthetic "universal GL-4/5" fluids? "Mobilube SHC" (Exxon/Mobil), for example?

By the way, excellent 75W-90 gear oil...

since i don't have time or anything to order Redline. What are some good readily available GL4 gear oils i can get from like advanced auto parts?

it's all for my transfer case btw

Just a thought but yours is a stick right? Dex 3 is what nissan recamends(if you dont want to get there tranny fluid)for there transfor cases...

Yep just looked it up and its says,89 models get API GL4 75w-90 and 90-95 get Dexron ATF...So if your getting some heavy oil in your transfer case I can see a rebuild in your futher...

Just a thought but yours is a stick right? Dex 3 is what nissan recamends(if you dont want to get there tranny fluid)for there transfor cases...

Yep just looked it up and its says,89 models get API GL4 75w-90 and 90-95 get Dexron ATF...So if your getting some heavy oil in your transfer case I can see a rebuild in your futher...

It previously had gear oil in it. So no. No rebuild. Only putting back what was originally put into the transfer case. There's other people here i recall who've put Gl4 in their transfer cases with no problems.

You can use Dexron or 75W-90 GL-4 (75W-90 GL-5 is suitable also) for any transfer case, 87 to 95 year. However, Dexron is recommended for cold regions.

the transfer case isn't a problem.

its the tranny you gotta take care of.

you can use the pensoil syncromesh stuff.

if your not sure about an oil, call the manufacturer and ask them if its soft metal compatible.

gear came in today. going to ask about whatever GL4 they have left. Pathfinder should hopefully be on the road soon.

Edit: No Gl4 at all. My step brother is going to see what he can find.

Edited by Toby