Rev Limiter?

Channel595

People say 6.5-6.8k depending on how accureate their tach is. You can likely go up to 6 with no worries and I have been known to ride 3rd gear all the way up to 5.5k on ocasion.

I am positive that @ 7k stock springs will not close a valve faster than the piston can come up.

i guess what im asking is that if i were to just floor the gas pedal will it rev the engine past 6k until it just self destructs or will it cut spark/fuel. i know i have gone past the dotted red line (5.5k) many times with no problem (smoke isnt a problem). but i know a lot of cars that i have had before like newer civics will cut the spark and you can just do a burnout with the pedal to the floor and it will cut spark so it doesent go past the red line and bend valves, it will just rev and bounce around the red line.

yes it will stop for you.

but I belive a member here had a belt slip when it was bouncing off the limiter... viannen_09.gif I think he was in a mudhole of sorts so water may have slicked the belt or maybe being under load did itshrug.gif many others (myself included)have not had anything happen in many similar situations

yes it will stop for you.

but I belive a member here had a belt slip when it was bouncing off the limiter... viannen_09.gif I think he was in a mudhole of sorts so water may have slicked the belt or maybe being under load did itshrug.gif many others (myself included)have not had anything happen in many similar situations

Haha that member was me. I am pretty sure it has a limiter because I bounced off it like 3 times, causing my timing to go way off, almost self destructing the engine. Note that I don't have the bottom cover, only the top. Mudholes = bad.

Edited by AeroSync

Haha that member was me. I am pretty sure it has a limiter because I bounced off it like 3 times, causing my timing to go way off, almost self destructing the engine. Note that I don't have the bottom cover, only the top. Mudholes = bad.

well not having a timing cover will def lead to belt slipping issues...FartExplode-vi.gif

Holy Crap!! You were running without the bottom timing belt cover?? In Mud?? :blink:

Just one mor example of how hard these motors are to kill...

Go to the parts wanted section and post there, go to the parts for sale section and see if any one is parting out a truck, and the last thing would be get it from a wrecker, but it will take a little bit of work to remove...

B

6550 is when mine started bouncing off the limiter. It wasn't a fast bounce per-se like you usually hear, it was slower.

My theroy is that a slower bounce comes from fuel cut(still lean vapors to burn) whereas a spark cut would bounce faster(can't burn without igniton)

Mine has hit about 7500 before shifting before. So I guess I've either been lucky or had some valve float and not noticed huh My1?

Idono, I've never heard anyone claim above 7k on a stock coputer before this thread. Was your tach calibrated? Is it possible an electrical spike or a frequency spike may have caused it to read high just before the shift?

It may be possible,

I am positive that @ 7k stock springs will not close a valve faster than the piston can come up.

maybe I'm wrong.

I know people in the z crowd have changed an ecu with valves and springs and reached the 9k range so its not like its toally un-reasonable. just questionable.

I know the sound of my engine gets quite differant as i enter the 6k range under load but, 89 tbi, maybe the springs are more worn out or maybe I'm mistaking the sound I hear for something else like 2 injectors trying to keep up with 6cyl going that fast.

Idono, I've never heard anyone claim above 7k on a stock coputer before this thread. Was your tach calibrated? Is it possible an electrical spike or a frequency spike may have caused it to read high just before the shift?

It may be possible,

Well, if it is off like that it idles at 1rpm :lol:(idles at about 600rpm per tach) . Stock tach, unmolested, running tranny in power mode. I usually hit it on my local freeway on ramp when I put my foot into it...also doing about 55 in 2nd by that time. It's screaming (and sounds mean as hell), but still sounds like it's got more in it when it shifts, as in it would do 9k without flinching if allowed to.

when I replaced my tach motor and calibrated it changes were exponetinal. it always stayed near same @ idle but would climb faster or slower thru the rpms as I ajusted the potentieomer screw untill the needle matched my digital pickup. makeing sure it was acureate from idle all the way up to 6k was a very noisy process lol.

I would be neat to see if one really could in stock condtion but unlocking the limiter could be expensve (jwt ecu $400) and the cost of failure could be allot more. 10000.gif

I would be neat to see if one really could in stock condtion but unlocking the limiter could be expensve (jwt ecu $400) and the cost of failure could be allot more. 10000.gif

Very true, I wonder where they were red lining the VG race engines at?