Now What?

AeroSync

So let's start form the beginning. I have a 1994 Pathfinder SE with 149,600 miles. I took it off roading one day, and got caught in all the fun. I was in a mud hole, and while reversing and going forward, I put the automatic transmission in 1st, instead of Drive. Now, while trying to surpass the hole, I over revved the Nissan causing it to bounce of the rev limiter twice, since it didn't shift, being in 1st. After this, I noticed the Nissan was being sluggish and turning off every time. I got home though, to find out that the timing was way off since it jumped.

The timing belt and water pump were replaced, and in that process, I realized that the crankshaft sprocket was loose since the pin holding it was chewed up. Went to the junkyard, and got a good pin, and put everything back together, and when the truck is revved, I heard a faint knocking. I am told that the valves bent slightly since the truck went so off time when it was over revved into 6000 RPM.

Now, what do I do? It runs smoothly like it is, but I hear that faint knocking. Here are my considerations:

-Buying a motor and rebuilding it completely.

-Swapping in a more powerful motor, like a 4.3 Vortec V6?

-Run it as is and hope for the best?

junk it and buy a jeep..lol..ok ..this is what i think and since im your best friend im going to post it so the nissan people that know more than me can say if im right or not...

i think buying another 3.0 and rebuildint will be the best option..do to the fact that we cant weld...orhave super swaping engine skills..im sure we can pull it off but it requieres money and time...which we barely have...i dont know how good or how bad your engine is...as an engine (3.0)? is it a good engine worth fixing? idk...you nissan gurus tell me...

now..i dont have anything against nissan..but...you paid 800 bucks..the truck is worth more than that running in great conditon..which it really isnt..you can find an idiot that wants to pay more..or sell it for..w.e you can get and get something else? but then again what warranty do you have than buying a jeep,nissan,toyota or w.e is going to be better?

you already have it and you like it...but i think nothing its worth fixing if you arent really sold into it...thats whay i think...

Makes sense. I will post it on Craigslist and see, but I would actually like to fix it up and make it nice. It is like a project truck, especially for the price.

It is a 3.0 V6 yes, and I agree on the 3.0 rebuild being easier than an engine swap.

Any opinions from NPORA?

Big fat maybe on the last one. Can't tell until you know what damage you did to this one. :shrug:

As for fixing this one, well, yeah, most of us support that but not if it is going to be a money pit (unusual).

Like you said, it runs good other than some noise so A) drive it until it dies and find another motor then (not very difficult, they last a long time) or B ) start finding/building one now to swap in. I understand the 3.0 block with 3.3 heads and 3.0 cam makes for a strong motor. I don't do this work so get details from others, but I know it really isn't hard to do, per se.

B

Big fat maybe on the last one. Can't tell until you know what damage you did to this one. :shrug:

As for fixing this one, well, yeah, most of us support that but not if it is going to be a money pit (unusual).

Like you said, it runs good other than some noise so A) drive it until it dies and find another motor then (not very difficult, they last a long time) or B ) start finding/building one now to swap in. I understand the 3.0 block with 3.3 heads and 3.0 cam makes for a strong motor. I don't do this work so get details from others, but I know it really isn't hard to do, per se.

B

Yea, the plan would be to rebuild a motor on the side until the current one dies. Now, I read that the VG33e from the Xterra is exactly the same concerning the block. Only the top is different? The mounting is the same, etc.

But, know that you mention the 3.0/3.3 combination, I am intrigued. I never knew about that one. More opinions would be great, thank you.

I believe that is correct, but I think you run into sensor/smog hell...

MY1PATH has good info on the 3.0 3.3 combo that he has shared (posted) along with others. They'll probably chime in but take a few minutes and search around a bit anyway, I know it has been posted several times.

FYI, my 'new' 95 auto with 101k on it has a strange noise I don't like so I'm saving a complete long block (intake, sensors, etc) out of the previous 95 manual, just because.

B

I just remembered!! Do this and be the coolest kid on your block... :D

Looks like he's in Florida also, a match made in heaven!!

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=24692

It's actually a 3.3 block with 3.0 heads and CAMS. That creates a higher compression motor. You'd have to run high octane gas to avoid pinging.

My opinion:

Get a good running motor, put it on a stand, and change the timing belt on it, along with the water pump, thermostat and tensioner. Also, while on the stand, swap out the manifolds for headers, replacing the studs, then drop the "new" motor in when/if the old one dies. You can grab a motor cheap nowadays (guys get rid of running trucks for part outs for ~300-400) and even if you had to pay someone to swap the motor for you, you'd only be into about 1000-1500 or so.

I believe that is correct, but I think you run into sensor/smog hell...

MY1PATH has good info on the 3.0 3.3 combo that he has shared (posted) along with others. They'll probably chime in but take a few minutes and search around a bit anyway, I know it has been posted several times.

FYI, my 'new' 95 auto with 101k on it has a strange noise I don't like so I'm saving a complete long block (intake, sensors, etc) out of the previous 95 manual, just because.

B

I just remembered!! Do this and be the coolest kid on your block... :D

Looks like he's in Florida also, a match made in heaven!!

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=24692

That link is tempting! I will see though, does it have the same mounting points, so it is like a bolt in, or is extensive modification required for the VG33ER?

It's actually a 3.3 block with 3.0 heads and CAMS. That creates a higher compression motor. You'd have to run high octane gas to avoid pinging.

My opinion:

Get a good running motor, put it on a stand, and change the timing belt on it, along with the water pump, thermostat and tensioner. Also, while on the stand, swap out the manifolds for headers, replacing the studs, then drop the "new" motor in when/if the old one dies. You can grab a motor cheap nowadays (guys get rid of running trucks for part outs for ~300-400) and even if you had to pay someone to swap the motor for you, you'd only be into about 1000-1500 or so.

Yea, today I am going to junkyards to estimate what I will have to save up, to hopefully do this before my engine dies.

that 3.3/3.0 sounds good but requires more money..and parts...just get a 3.0 and do the header bolts,timming belt and i guess depending how the engine looks we decide if we need to rebuild it..which i still think will be the best idea...

simon I think the 3.0 and 3.3 heads are the same size chamber, the pistson stays below the deck so there is no need to make the 3.3 chamber larger.

I do know that the 3.3 castings are are a little bit cleaner which provides greater efficency(for MPG's) and the 10mm exhaust studs are also a plus.

the 3.0 cam is larger than the 3.3 cam and will provide more power while remaining more well mannered than any aftermarket cam on the market.

if you are looking to rebuild and replace the 3.3 is just as easy to rebuild as a 3.0 and will still last a good 300k+ miles when cared for.

simon I think the 3.0 and 3.3 heads are the same size chamber, the pistson stays below the deck so there is no need to make the 3.3 chamber larger.

I do know that the 3.3 castings are are a little bit cleaner which provides greater efficency(for MPG's) and the 10mm exhaust studs are also a plus.

the 3.0 cam is larger than the 3.3 cam and will provide more power while remaining more well mannered than any aftermarket cam on the market.

if you are looking to rebuild and replace the 3.3 is just as easy to rebuild as a 3.0 and will still last a good 300k+ miles when cared for.

The rebuilding a 3.3 is a good idea, but I have another question.

What about a 4.3 Vortec? Would that work out? I mean, if I am going to fix the engine, might as well get something with more power? Or better the VG33ER from the S/C Xterra?

Edited by AeroSync

The 4.3 vortec is only a good motor inthe 93-94 200 hp flavor,other wise its like 190.So really whats the point,a 3.3 with headers and a intake makes the same power.If your going to be swapping to a gm engine why not get a small block like a 305(non-vortec),they get great gas milage and have the tourqe to get up and move pretty good.A th700 tranny and a 305 would be a great combo.I say this because to switch from one make engine to another in a car isa lot of work.Just changing the 3.0 to a 4.3 will require a full electric swap,new tranny,drive shaft,t-case...and in the end you get a engine that doesnt make much more power then a 3.0 with headers and intake...

I see what you mean. So the best thing would be the 3.3 then. Now, can I rebuild my 3.0 to a 3.3? If so, what would I need?

Thank you.

the easiest way, as in everything bolts up where it used to be;

get a 3.3 install 3.0 crank (with new bearings of course) the 3.0 crank allows you to use all the same v-belt accesories...

the only thing you will keep from the 3.3 will be the block, pistons and heads swap everyting else over (oil pump, pan, sensors intake, etc.)or use 3.0 rebuild parts. If you want a step by step here's a how to that talks about a few differant ways of doing it; http://nissan4wheelers.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3766078435/m/62610276131?r=62610276131#62610276131

Thanks man, that is very helpful! beer.gif

sure thing, I been dreaming up a vg36i for some time now and thats just some useful info I picked up along the way.

Edited by MY1PATH

TIf your going to be swapping to a gm engine why not get a small block like a 305(non-vortec),they get great gas milage and have the tourqe to get up and move pretty good.A th700 tranny and a 305 would be a great combo.I say this because to switch from one make engine to another in a car isa lot of work.Just changing the 3.0 to a 4.3 will require a full electric swap,new tranny,drive shaft,t-case...and in the end you get a engine that doesnt make much more power then a 3.0 with headers and intake...

Agreed. My pathy has started leaking oil and when I changed my alternator it had grease and oil all over it, so I had thought of a rebuild also. But then I remembered I have a 327 just sitting around so why not, if going to all that trouble, swap in something with a lot more hp and torque. Of coarse, this is one of many great ideas I come up with that take a while to do since I'm in school and lack time and money. But that's an eventual (this summer hopefully) plan for me. Good luck on the decision, and let me know how it goes. thumbsup.gif

My 2 cents on the 4.3 GM engine swap...

It will be a lot of work to put in a vortec with computer controls. Another option is to get an older TBI or even carburated 4.3 to make the swap simpler, those would have a bit less HP.

As to the power thing.... yes, go small block if you can, there will be more power...

But for the 4.3 being "almost the same power".... well if you are simply looking a peak HP numbers, sure. But the real story is in average torque. Torque is what moves a vehicle and a larger engine is usually going to have a better average torque across the RPM range, not to mention the peak torque will come earlier. "There's no replacement for displacement" Don't discount a 4.3 since peak HP numbers are similar. If you have to rev alot more to get the peak HP and torque... well you get the idea.

This is even more important when towing. I think most agree the VQ3.5 is a notable change from a 3.0 or a 3.3....

I own a VQ3.5 and a Vortec 4.3 - I prefer to tow with the 4.3 engine for the lower end torque to get me moving, though either would do the job. The two trucks I have are comparable, the pathy may even be a bit quicker - but has about 50% more gearing to accomplish this.

What ever path you decide to take, replacing a stock engine for a stock engine will of course be easiest. Going to a new brand of engine hardest. The 4.3 swap (or small block) would be a bit of a challenge, but it can be done and then you would never need to change another timing belt. ;)