Simple Solution To "trunk Hits Head"

JesseLivingston

I couldn't bring myself to use vice grips on my truck. Maybe if it was beat up all to hell, but it's not and is way to nice for such vulgar mechanics. After receiving just that as the only recommended solution (besides replacing with new) I did what I always do when faced with a problem. Stare, I looked long and hard, searching all corners of my brain and after a short time it came to me... A simple "Tye-Wrap" one with a metal tongue. Pulled tight around the piston. When you open the trunk, simply slide it up and it has enough friction to stop the trunk from closing. Yet you can still close the trunk without having to move it down, because it is pushed down in the process!!! I just put it on one side and seems to be enough. Simple. I like it. Remember to use your pliers and twist the excess off, this will leave a smooth edge and you will not cut yourself.

I've heard of people putting a small kink in the piston to cause a slight bend giving enough force to hold up the hatch or window. I had a small piece of pvc pipe I cut down tothe size of the thicker part of the rod. When closed it fit overtop of the whole assembly and when open I would slide it up and 'brace' it between the thicker part and the hatch hiding the piston(used this trick on my Eclipse as well) Before that, I would just use my fishing rod holder but I don't have that issue anymore since my wife got me hatch struts as part of my birthday gift last year(still offically this year) and the rare ocasion I use the window only well...I have a hard head.

I've used an ice scraper before, it works well, but that was on my camaro, the hatch on my pathy seems to hold up just fine, never replaced em.

But that's not a bad idea if I ever start getting hit on the head.

poor maro(coming from the guy who uses a ice scraper to hold the hood open)

My nissan does that but I've learned to live with it...