Who Has Used?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was sopost to say who has used lol opps my bad

going to be using a D44 out of a jeep wagoneer

My questions are

What did you do for the brake line conversion?

What did you do for the drive shaft conversion?

Where did you get your new gears for the axle? and What gears do you recomend i use for 35" tires?

How did you attach the steering linkage to the steering box/ pitman arm?

What did you do for shocks and shock mounts?

What spring or leafs did you use?

Edited by Nismojunky

ive used the front spring hanger and the rear shackle reversal kit. i dont like theyre corssmembers and i didnt do a spring over i did a spring under.

okay so your taking hte hard research parts outta the question. next tiem search around cause the questions there are the basic easy parts to find. lol but ill answer it for ya.

4.56 gears are not low enough for 35s considering the stock pathys had 4.6s on 31s. i have 5.13 with 36s and its just about right.

-i used earls stainless steel brake lines. (went stainless all the way around. i built my own using there adpaters (they are not DOT approved)

-i built my own front driveshaft and used a nissannut adapter. used the stock rear one.

- what rear axle are you going to use. makes deciding on gears easier. if your leaving stock nissan like i did 5.13s and i used yukon gears front and got the gears and a master install kit from ebay

-had nissannut taper out a pitman arm for me.

- f-250 shock towers. easy simple and welded them on.

-rancho rs44044

i suggest you search around some more. check out nissannuts website. nissannut.com i think, a ton of useful information there on all sorts of builds

after i posted this i went on nissannuts website got alot of info im keeping the rear stock for now and plan on keeping my 33" tires for another year or so untill i can afford the new gears im going to use what steevo did for his rear end 5.5 tj coils and the new axle shafts, as for the brake lines would a shop be able to build custom ones? that are dot approved

i know the earls ones arent dot aprroved. and they work fine nad it probably wont ever come to where you need and a shop could build ones i guess dont know why youd want that cost. cause your allready sasing it which defiantly isnt dot approved. apparently one guy has told 87pathy that his truck needs to be returned to stock form to meet DOT requirements. i laughed

i know the earls ones arent dot aprroved. and they work fine nad it probably wont ever come to where you need and a shop could build ones i guess dont know why youd want that cost. cause your allready sasing it which defiantly isnt dot approved. apparently one guy has told 87pathy that his truck needs to be returned to stock form to meet DOT requirements. i laughed

i aske him if he wanted some cheese..

frumunda.. deez.....

I'm going to cut my Calmini brackets off...I dont like how my build turned out so I'm redoing it. I'm spring under too but running a different leaf pack so ride characteristics are different compared to the Ranchos. going 3 Link.

what didnt you like about it?

A lot of factors affecting my build. I was in 2 wrecks, so the frame is tweaked as well as the body. No Idea why Calmini wanted to cut a huge ass hole for a small piece of tubing to be inserted for the shackles. Shackles also have to be notched to clear the frame. A lot of the folks running them and myself hit the frame before the tire stuffs. Again, it all goes down to mocking it up first time before you really burn it in. My 33s hit the backside of the fender body before full stuff but that could be due to the accident pushing the body forward...... but anyhow, I'm going 3 link. I have most of the parts already. Just finding time and a place to weld it all together.

Shackles also have to be notched to clear the frame. A lot of the folks running them and myself hit the frame before the tire stuffs. Again, it all goes down to mocking it up first time before you really burn it in. My 33s hit the backside of the fender body before full stuff but that could be due to the accident pushing the body forward...

I love it when people blame Cal-stinky for their shackles because the purchaser/fabricator does not know how to correctly setup a shackle, getting a correct shackle angle. If setup correctly, no matter what leaf pack you decide on concocting, your CORRECT shackle angle will allow your leaf pack to flex and not hit the frame. People automatically put the blame on them, when they flat out tell you they are doing their SAS differently than Calminis kit was intended for. It was a sprung over truck with toy front leafs. Im sure you reused a waggy pack and went spring under, meaning the placement of the shackle (thru frame) needed to be fudged a little forward or backward.

true to a point sammy. i had to notch a portion of where the body mount is. the problem being the position where calmini tells you to drill and where they should actually be is totally different. also i dont think calminis truck actually uses any of their products that are now produced. also the calmini sas kit si super old and will never be a full kit but just pieces, im pretty sure they stopped R&D on the kit. if you do spring under with a calmini kit with rancho rs44044 the shackle should probably be right infront of the boyd mount. Calmini is also retarded and sells the wrong bolts (they are way to short) and dont fit all the way through, so i had to go buy new liek .5 inch longer bolts, and when i called them to ask them about it they were like to bad those are the ones we sell and if you dont like it go buy other ones. the bolts where so short that the nut maybe had one thread once you tightened down.

I think the purpose of the hole being that big is so you can have some play as far as your shackle mount goes.

I understand the kit is not a complete kit, but it was designed to use toyota pro comp hybrid springs, (56 inches i believe, maybe im wrong) and be sprung over. If you do anything other than that, then i suggest you do not bash crapmini for your problems. With so many combinations of leaf springs out there, you pretty much have to set everything up kinda custom anyway. Even if someone came out with a 3 link kit for ours, it would still have adjustable links so you could dial in your front axle...

as far as not having the right hardware, yea, I can understand that being annoying, that does blow.

Oh and just so everyone knows, I am not a big fan of calmini, but I am not going to stand here and be a "web fabber" and say their products are garbage either.

yea i understand the whole deal with it and understood it was just a starting point for my sas and that i was gonna have some things different and have to cahnge some things, i had no problem notching for a little bit of clearence i assumed i would be doing stuff like that. its when they send you the kit and the hardware is wrong thats irritating and even more when you call to ask the mabout it and the basically tell you to fsck off (but thats calmini for you) there customer service blows hardcore. if i knew what i did now i woulda never gone with a spring under, and gone 3 link or radius arm or something like that but i was younger didnt have the money and didnt know as much so for the time being it works, will i change it absolutly. so i guess the calmini stuff is a good starting point if your not sure and it makes things a ton easier