1994 Steering And Suspension

94pathfinder

ok so today while i was hauling ass down a dirt road, and i creamed a rock, well when i got her going again and i turned tail and ran back home. i was driving the steering is pulling either way, so im pretty sure i screwed the steering up, i m ay have tweaked to tie rod, and i know i jacked the alignment up. so how hard is it to replace the steering box, and the tie rod? or maybe the idler arm brace?

That is all easy with the the steering box being the most involved. I recommend you remove the skid plate, jack it up, pull the tires and investigate...

B

i have the skid plate off, and while i drive down the road, i can still get to 70, but it feels like the steering box is shot, and it wanders so bad now too.

Any advice is appreciated, i don't have alot of knowledge when it comes to being mechanical.

Some advice, dont drive 70 with shot steering lol. that being said, check to see if any of your tie rods are bent. if they are only bent a little you can adjust them and you may be able to correct your alignment yourself. If your really really not mechanical take to an alignment shop

If your alignment is dramatically off it will wander and pull on you reguardless of the condition of your steering box.

Not to mention, I think these steering boxes are pretty tough and prolly the strongest part of the seering system. thats why some people replace thier idler arm with a gutted & sealed steering box.

True. With the truck jacked up, inspect the tie rod ends and idler arm in several positions, pull twist and pry. Have someone turn the wheel for you while you try to find something that will move. That is the key, look for anything that has play in it...

B

True. With the truck jacked up, inspect the tie rod ends and idler arm in several positions, pull twist and pry. Have someone turn the wheel for you while you try to find something that will move. That is the key, look for anything that has play in it...

B

i've got it narrowed down to the alignment, but here's the weird thing i know i shouldn't have hit 70, but when i did, it drove perfect. i have no idea how to explain, but i looked into it more tonight, and im thinking that i jacked the alignment up, and or bent one or a few of the control arms.

John

I have found that at higher speeds my steering improves - it becomes more responsive and has less play in it (normally my wheel has around 1/2-3/4 inch of play in it, when above 65 that disappears). Alignment and front end is fine (just had it all checked and repaired after a previous shop fubar'ed it up) but yeah, just seems at higher speeds the truck squats down and tightens up... almost like a Veryon :D LOL

check the center link, the center link will screw the aligment and alot of times the aligment shops will over look it.

Just check if the pitman arm and idler are bent, if not they are ok and dont worry about them. Then check if any of the tie rods or adjestor sleves are bent, if not check if they have any play in them. If those are ok then you need to check your center link for play.

i checked the idler arm and pitman, and they are both fine, i'll check the center link when i get some more free time. the center link didn't look tweaked at all when i did a check when i got it home yesterday. i'll check the tie rods for play as well.

Thanks Guys!!

one test you can do to check and se if is a sterring or sus. related problem is to lift the vehicle and grasp the tire at 12oclock and 6oclock shake hard if there is any play in it then it is sus.,if not then grasp the tire at the 9oclock and 3oclock,and shake hard if there is any play then it is a steering, problem. but if there is any play in both then your beering or hubs are bad and need repacked or replaced.i would say check for any bent component in both steering and sus. you could just need to adjust your gear box back to normal.allot can cause a vehicle to pull in either direction. i know this sounds stupid but also inspect your tires for preasure and dents or watnot also your rims. hope this helps:)

• 4 weeks later...

First off, learn your lesson to not haull ass on a dirt road?

With the front end up, grab the driver's side wheel and turn it by hand watch where the center link and pitman arm meet. The only movement there should be side to side. If you see the center link twist up before moving it is shot and you have found your play. That little bit of upward movement translates into a lot of dead space feel in the wheel.