Exhaust Problems!

evans

well it all started when i noticed 2 of my manifold studs broke off(because i had the nasty tick when it was cold). so i went in and replace the broken ones and the gasket. now its terrible. it sounds like a cat full of marbles purring. so i was wondering what could have gone wrong.... any ideas?

. it sounds like a cat full of marbles purring. so i was wondering what could have gone wrong.... any ideas?

can you record that? I have never heard a cat full of marbles let alone puring. if you poke it does it meow full of marbles?

passenger or driver side? are all the emissions hook ups all the way on? down pipe gaskets?

i think it might be the downpipe gasket. i went to tighten everything today and to was 20% there. im gonna grab a new one today and see how that works.

and im not too worried about the manifold itself. i should be getting headers for christmas!haha

The stud is about 47mm long new with aprox 13mm threaded into the head and 13mm unthreaded to the face of the manifold, so from the face of the maniflod, you should not drill more than 1" or risk drilling into the head. I'm guessing that the easy out only needs 3/8-1/2 depth max. Are you using the spiral ones or the square ones? Soak the stud with penetrating oil and strike it a few times if possible. Be careful not to break the easy out off in the stud...

B

Its all preference and how sharp the spirals are. I use the square ones for hollow screws and hex heads/set screws and I use some really cool stubby spiral ones that turn with a 1/2" wrench when I have to drill a hole.

but I can tell you the glossy ones are tempered differant and more prone to shattering.

Very good answer, I'm going with it!! I prefer the square ones in general but don't mind the spiral with larger diameter. My first choice is a 140 degree CCW carbide spade drill. It'll make the easy out hole but can relieve, bite and extract the bolt sometimes.

B

so good news is i got the stud out without breaking an easy out. but its still making the noise! gaskets are all fine. could it be warped or maybe a crack in the downpipe?

apparently one of the studs attaching the downpipe to the manifold striped out the threads in the manifold. and for some reason one of the holes in the block is significantly larger than the other 5. so im gonna take it all back out and rethread the manifold and try to find a stud that'll fit in the hole. im pretty sure these are the problems. if not im gonna go crazy. padded wall room style crazy! :suicide:

i have the same damn noise problem and i do have headers and the new turbo studs

i highly suspect its a gasket problem because the noise is coming from the floor

this week ill be getting my new flowmaster 60 installed so ill try it then

what did you do?!

now all the gaskets are good and its still doing that :deadhorse:

alright its definitely the slip fitting at the crossover pipe

let me get some copper silicone in there and see what happens