Leaking Some Oil Somewhere. Ideas?

MrJim

I had done an oil change recently where they could not get all of the engine flush out of the oil after replacing with new oil. After the shop doing 2 oil changes and still not getting all the old oil out, I finally drained it for 5 days with plug and filter removed. I also ran a couple of quarts through it after it sat for 5 days. I managed to get all of the old stuff out finally and then I put 20w-50 GTX Castro Oil along with an oil treatment additive. It is running smooth and quiet again, but I am pretty sure its going to lose oil if I drive it at highway speeds again. I will do that tomorrow to make sure.

so far, it does appear that I am losing oil from my Pathy at highway speeds and not so much around town. I notice that its smoking more lately too. I see a small leak underneath that was not there before the original oil change, but really think that most of the leak is getting past my valves internally. It still has all the power and runs strong, but I really going through some oil. I don't want to screw up the engine so I am hoping to find the source of the leak and deal with it before it really does any damage.

What ideas do you guys/gals have that I should be looking into?

Tighten up the valve cover screws and the oil pan bolts. 10 & 12 lbs respectively IIRC, but it is not a new install scenario. Just snug them firmly. Wipe down any run (oily) areas and collection points. Top off the oil so it is even with the top mark at a repeatable location and record the mileage. Drive for a few days/week while watching the oil level. When it reaches the lower mark, top it off to the high mark, recording how much it takes (1 pint?)

How many miles were driven?

Inspect the engine for leaks also (hint, pre marking with chalk makes it easy)

You have to find the source before you can fix it. :shrug:

B

• 1 month later...

Tighten up the valve cover screws and the oil pan bolts. 10 & 12 lbs respectively IIRC, but it is not a new install scenario. Just snug them firmly. Wipe down any run (oily) areas and collection points. Top off the oil so it is even with the top mark at a repeatable location and record the mileage. Drive for a few days/week while watching the oil level. When it reaches the lower mark, top it off to the high mark, recording how much it takes (1 pint?)

How many miles were driven?

Inspect the engine for leaks also (hint, pre marking with chalk makes it easy)

You have to find the source before you can fix it. shrug.gif

B

Yeah I am still stumped on this one. I think that there is a bad rear mail seal leak though. It all started when a local oil change outfit didnt get all of some engine flush out when they did an oil change. It really sucks, but its fixable. It has not lost any power. Its begging to run, but I have to fix this before it damages it. I am driving it sparingly until I get it resolved and keeping an eye on the oil level. When its a little warmer and dryer I will get out there and get er done. :)