Manual Trans Oil Amount?

zack1978

Hi everyone,

I want to change the oil in the 5spd trans in my 1995 Pathfinder, and I want the correct amount of oil in it. I already lost one trans because the oil was too low. The problem is that I am finding conflicting oil amounts... On the TSB the "new" oil level shows to be 5.1 pints however when I use the Amsoil vehicle chart it shows the correct level for a 4wd Pathfinder to be 7.7 pints?

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?url2=1995+NISSAN/DATSUN+PATHFINDER+G

Any idea how much oil should be in my trans? And is the best way to get the extra oil in from the shifter?

Thanks,

Zack

If the tsb says 5.1 then it is probably 5.1 But if you end up getting 7.7 you could always use the extra to change your transfer case or diff fluids.

Well that's the thing, the TSB says 5.1, but when you go on the Amsoil site (the link is in the op) they say 5.1 for a 2wd and 7.7 for a 4wd, however the TSB does not show a difference between 2wd and 4wd.

Zack

Everyone who has a 1986.5 to 1995 4wd Truck or 1987-1995 4wd Pathfinder should be aware that the FS5R30A manual transmission up until 1995 does not provide adequate lubrication to the main and counter drive gears.

The tsb's show a diagram with the "fixed" transmission case, the only difference being that the fill hole was moved up 0.97 inches! That increased the oil capacity by 1.5 liters from 3.6l to 5.1l

Ok, first off, this TSB is for 87-95 models and your info shows you drive a 96... I thought they fixed the issue with the R50s?? Anyone with an R50, what does your manual say is the correct MT fill amount??

Second, the TSB says 5.1 LITERS is the specified corrected amount, not pints!! Bit of a difference there, eh?

Third, I'd really trust the Nissan supplied information over any other, including Chiltons, Hayes and especially Amsol, Penzoil, etc... ;)

B

Ok, first off, this TSB is for 87-95 models and your info shows you drive a 96... I thought they fixed the issue with the R50s?? Anyone with an R50, what does your manual say is the correct MT fill amount??

Second, the TSB says 5.1 LITERS is the specified corrected amount, not pints!! Bit of a difference there, eh?

Third, I'd really trust the Nissan supplied information over any other, including Chiltons, Hayes and especially Amsol, Penzoil, etc... ;)

B

The info tab is not correct. I do have a 1995 5spd Pathfinder, not a 96. I guess the bottom line is I wonder if there is truly a difference between a 2wd and a 4wd trans, because the TSB does not mention 2wd vs 4wd?

Zack