Auto Tranny Temperature Gauge

Precise1

in my experience their cheap electric stuff always fails. if it doesn't fine, but if it does you will have to fork out another $20 for another one. for $50 you could get a decent gauge from summit and have it work the whole time.

but its up to you.

I always get the warranty, even with my 20 dollar sawzall that has worked great so far, and also with my welder that has worked wonderful.

If it fails I will probably buy the 50 dollar one later on, but right now its about what I can spend in one sitting, and if it works and saves me the $$ im happy

yeh, harbor freight has lifetime warranty

after you get the tranny cooler all hooked up, where does the air go that was in the cooler to begin with, does it need to run without the cap for a minute?

• Like 1

Are you planning on upsizing yours?

No, I just wanted to post some options (make/model) for people to consider. There aren't many people running inline filters and it seems to be a good idea with our trannys. :shrug:

in my experience their cheap electric stuff always fails. if it doesn't fine, but if it does you will have to fork out another $20 for another one. for $50 you could get a decent gauge from summit and have it work the whole time.

but its up to you.

I went with the Summit item, it was $45 delivered and I rigged up a custom sensor mount on the inline filter inlet.

Like beastpath says, I hope it lasts.

Headpeas, the air is purged back into the tranny and then is vented. The auto tranny is not a sealed unit IIRC...

B

• 3 months later...

I will use a mechanical tranny temp gauge as I did in my 87 Hardbody, no ground issue and more reliable, in my 94 PF the location you used for the gauge looks good, this pic is from my 87: all autometer 2 5/8" gauges notice the little switches below the center vents, for all my lights, nice when you use relays the switches can be so small, lol

2dj16w7.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

Then the cooler should be the priority, not the filter or temp gauge. Seriously, go to the junkyard tomorrow (Ford Explorers have good units apparently) or go to Summit Racing (.com) and order what you need. Don't put it off, I have seen a few people regret it...

B

Precise, when your driving your truck, how easy is it to see your gauge? I am a big dude, 6,3" 225lbs, and have issues seeing that area while driving, and don't ever plan on driving like a gangster with my seat laid back LOL.

Precise, when your driving your truck, how easy is it to see your gauge? I am a big dude, 6,3" 225lbs, and have issues seeing that area while driving, and don't ever plan on driving like a gangster with my seat laid back LOL.

I'm 6'3" 225# or so, and I have the gauge mounted in the same place as Precise1. I sit mostly upright to keep the hands at 9&3. Slightly leaning forward give you full visibility. The steering wheel spoke does slightly impair the sightline, but it mostly affects the bottom of the gauge, and if you choose a gauge where 180F is 12 o'clock on the face, you will only really ever glance at it. Once you get over the new-toy aspect of having the gauge there, and become familiar with the situations where the transmission builds heat, you will learn that most of the time you won't need to look at it much. It's not ideal, but A-pillar and dashpad pods always look so ricey to me. I wanted an installation that was subtle and reasonably clean. You might also consider a gauge pod mounted on one side of the steering column. I'm not sure if there is enough depth, but there is space on the center console just behind the t-case handle.

Edited by RJSquirrel

Well, I'm 6'1" and 200lbs so not too far off. RJS said it well. No, you don't have a perfectly clear view of that place but you don't really need it. I find I just tilt my head slightly and I can see it well enough and it is not as if you are watching it like your speedo, it's more like how often you look at your engine coolant temp. The plus is that it is a really clean install and if you get the black bezel and white needle, it matches the other 1995 gauges so it looks stock other than saying 'Autometer'... ;)

Ahh, ok, you found the other thread. Yeah, he did a great job, didn't he!! There some pretty talented people who come through here.

B

• 3 months later...

Well its been over 6 months since I've installed my filter and I am going to change it in the next couple of days. When I do I will cut it apart and post pictures of what it has collected.

I also got a temp gauge today and will install it tomorrow if I can find a T fitting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well finally finished my temp sender unit install: Didn't have my tap handle with me so I use brute force and pliers. What sucked more was my hole wasn't straight down so it was a PITA to tap but it's all said and done now. Again I am a electrical water temp gauge as a tranny oil temp gauge.

th_P1030598.jpgth_P1030597.jpgth_P1030595.jpgth_P1030592.jpg

th_P1030590.jpgth_P1030588.jpgth_P1030587.jpg

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

Somone on here made pillar pods, they look pretty good in the end. He did a step by step so you you have a good artistic or detail hand you could prolly do it.

Hey all that work to put an electrical sending unit in your remote filter...

FOLKS I present a new option. I put my sending unit on the end of the transmisson banjo bolt. And I can make more; fits 1/8 NPT sending units.

th_weldsgroundtofit19mm.jpg th_installedonveh.jpg th_Drilledandprepedforweld.jpg