'87 Pathfinder Problems

Nissanboy

I have a '87 Pathfinder that is a v6 it starts when its cold but when it warms up the RPM gauge starts dropping but not with the motor then the motor dies. I change the starter, coil, and distributor. Ran the codes on the ECU and it says theres nothing wrong. Does anybody have any idea Whats wrong? I had problems with it a year ago and it wouldnt start and it ended up being a sensor on the transmission that had something to do with the floor shifter indicator not working but special order the sensor and it started and the indicator worked. Plus A new ECU is Like $375

Edited by Nissanboy

Big ass vacume leak?

vacuum leaks cause all sorts of problems...Could also be a head gasket or the temostate and its cause the truck to shut of when it gets to hot.

But yeah vacuum leaks,my 76 gmc had a mega vauum leak(long story,friend dad was welding a hole in a valve cover and he used gunk or something to clean up the hole and when I started it it back fired like a 12gauge and sounded like it was a brocken rocker but a vacum hose was blown of the transmission and it caused it to not run right on the left bank)...I told this story to show the point of vacum and how if not work right it can cause all sorts of hell.

Check the thermochoke, mine did the same thing because it was seized. Picked up a used one at the salvage yard for $10.00. A new one from Nissan was a hundred bucks.

Whats a Thermochoke? I Have a Haynes Repair Manual that covers all Pathfinders and theres nothing in it about a thermochoke.

Check the thermochoke, mine did the same thing because it was seized. Picked up a used one at the salvage yard for $10.00. A new one from Nissan was a hundred bucks.

Also not a single one of those available in the entire USA (my dealer checked because mine is quirky)!

For the problem, how old is the fuel filter? Mine acted like that when it's filter got clogged.

Also not a single one of those available in the entire USA (my dealer checked because mine is quirky)!

For the problem, how old is the fuel filter? Mine acted like that when it's filter got clogged.

Your dealer did find it because he doenst know it comes part of an assembly unit, but that part is available for the VG30i and I can get it for you for: $62.15

PART NUMBER 16391-12G00

Edited by Alkorahil