Compu Took A Big Dump

94extreme

well, i am not really sure what happened but all of a sudden my computer crashed and i have not been able to restart it. it told me that it was unable to boot up. One of my issues is that i am unable to locate my original XP disc. Finally a buddy of mine lent me another cooy to try to get my junk running, As you'll see in the pic, i was able to get in and play on the C: drive. well, then at some point it asked me for an admin pass and there

isn't one. well 3 tries and you're out.. haven't been able to get back in there. I finally was able to install this other version but then it would end up at the blue screen after an attempt at start.

img5357s.jpg

img5358s.jpg

img5359s.jpg

img5360a.jpg

looks like when i scanned it, it died at 50%.. wtf? something is that fubar? windows missing completely?

the other thing: how do i get another xp disc? i got the puter from DELL. do you guys think they'll send me another, maybe even with the SP3 on it? besides that, what the heck do i do now?

i'll try to check in here sometime.. not sure when.... but in the next few days hopefully.. wifi was hard to find tonight. lol

thanks everyone. :headwall:

I think your HD might be fried. Dell will have a record of your recovery disks, one of the boys at work had to have a set sent out. You will need to give them some details and they should send it out. think it cost him about 20 bucks AUD.

Edited by DavefromOZ

its defiantly the hard drive when it says that that many sectors are unusable it useually menas the hard drive failed. thats is alot of unusable sectors a couple hundred is ok but thats bad! you can try and put the hard drive ina different computer as a slave drive and copy your stuff off and try to reload windows but I think once you get your stuff off if you can buy a new one they are pretty cheap now days.

ps the blue screen means its missing files on the hard drive and that is caused by them getting deleted by accident, hard drive failure, virus, or the wrong kind of memory are the most common ways to get that. I think its the hard drive though due to all the bad sectors.

Edited by edicer2

thanks gents. i was finally able to install another xp on there after trying multiple times.. i'm in the process of pulling some of the junk off (most i already had backed up). then i'll search for my original xp CD a bit more or i'll call dell.. will update. thanks again

yeah, recovery.. no pass but it didn't like it and kicked me out after 3 tries. haven't been able to get in there since.. but i got it running enough to copy a few things.. then, i'll just re-install XP and should be good to go, i hope. :D

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who's built and repaired multiple PC's - looks like your Hard Drive is shot. It's time for a new one - can I get some more info on the system? Seems like your boot sector went *poof*, but that's a lot of bad sectors... and I mean a lot.

You could probably access whatever data is left on there if you put the HD into an external enclosure, but I can't say for certain. It's also possible you could have it professionally recovered (or use something like Hirens Tools or Winternals) but again, can't say if it'll get everything, or even anything useful.

EDIT - nvm, see that you got a new install on there. I'd recommend backing up what you can to an external, and then getting a new hard drive - that one is on it's last legs. I'd recommend Western Digital Caviar - very reliable, and you can get the BLack series (faster), Green series (low power use), or Blue series (standard)

Edited by Kittamaru

i was not able to get everything before the HD went completely off the deep end; i was freaking sick that week. bummer. it's not even recognized when i enslave it. my other one is locked but i ran a backup on it, although i didn't get much out of it.. and the third one is running on crutches but i will format it, if i ever find my original install CD or make a boot CD or i figure another way.

i was not able to get everything before the HD went completely off the deep end; i was freaking sick that week. bummer. it's not even recognized when i enslave it. my other one is locked but i ran a backup on it, although i didn't get much out of it.. and the third one is running on crutches but i will format it, if i ever find my original install CD or make a boot CD or i figure another way.

You can get all you drivers for your machine right off dells website, just put in the machine service tag# and it will list all you drivers.

I hate computers :puterpunch:

But it's a living...

At least you don't have a broken wristed Mac... :chairfall:

I do miss the unhappy face when the old ones crashed though!

PM sent - I might be able to help you out

NVM - guess your inbox is full...

Anyway, shoot me a message with an e-mail or IM we can talk over - if you package and mail me the hard drives, I'll recover everything I can off of them and burn it to DVD for you (no charge of course). When I send the DVD"s back to ya, I'll shoot you an OS copy for you to use, along with instructions. Win7 or XP your choice, but it'll get you back up and running till you can find your install (or permanently if you so choose)

Edited by Kittamaru