Buying A Used Good In Usa

fleurys

I'm about to go to the USA to buy a arb locker for my rig from a person (not a store).The locker is new but the box has been opened. It has been bought about 3 years ago but the guy does not have the sale receipt anymore. I'm planning on going by car and coming back in the same day. Of course I would like to save the GST/ tvq and custom fees etc.. and was thinking about the scenarios I could do.

1) telling the custom guys in usa that I'm going to get a used good from a private guy and having the guy sign a paper that he sold me the part for a ridiculous price. Would I pay the duties on that price when coming back ? I could probably make the box look used a bit more by bending it etc...putting grease on it...

2) telling the custom guys in usa that i'm going to another city , like platsburgh, going for shopping for a particular item, and when coming back saying I did not buy anything. I would put the locker in my parts bin in my truck where I already have half-shafts, tools, oils, etc... and if they ask I say this is a spare part

Is there any particular laws for bringing used goods ?? how does it work ?? we surely not have to pay the duty fees of the item when it was new right ?

What are your ideas and advices about this.? any other scenario that would work better ??

Tks

Yeah dump the box, smear some grease and/or gear oil (dirty would be best) on it and put it in the parts bin you mentioned.

The suggestion of buying something else while your there is not a bad idea either :aok:

I dunno... we came home with my TJM in the back of the pathy, and they asked if we bought anything in the states, we said no. (technically, we didnt, we bought it when we were home... LOL)... they didnt ask anymore, and away we went. Lucky.

also, can you update of how this goes? i need to do a few items in the other direction next summer. thanks.

What are you after?

What are you after?

you want my list? lol

a potjie and some arcteryx gear, if i can find a good selection somewhere near Ham/Tnt on the latter.

3 Igloos and a walrus?

B

rofl.. me thinks i'm gonna need a couple of seals too. louisville is just down the road. ;):D :D

you want my list? lol

a potjie and some arcteryx gear, if i can find a good selection somewhere near Ham/Tnt on the latter.

You're on your own for the potjie...

Arcteryx gear, I looked at their website, and they're at 3 of my favourite stores... Mountain Equipment coop, and Europe Bound, they're both downtown, right across from each other. And Coast Mountain Sports, who have locations all over.

Throw it in the parts bin and buy something else (maybe groceries? Random @!*% at walmart?) while you are there, they will probably just let you go through if its under 50 bucks worth of stuff. I go through the border to get parts frequently and usually they don't even charge me duty even if I don't buy anything! Maybe I just get lucky though.

I live a few minutes from the ontario minnesota border and have crossed a hundred times.In all my years we never had to make any kind of official declaration in regards to what was purchased.Personally i would just remove it from its box and put it with your parts.I think customs are looking for bigger fish to fry.Just my opinion from experience up here.

I bought some shocks from USA ages ago, I started out ordering some cheap ones $100US they sent me a receipt and I changed my mind and went with some rebuildable $200US ones...

Then I find out because it was over $1000NZ I needed an importing license P... But they asked for a receipt, so I sent them the 1st cheap one. The guy rang me up saying the price on the package is more than what the receipt is for.... "OH FOR *my "vocabulary" is so small* SAKE DON"T TELL ME THEY SENT THE WRONG ONES" :D

Still had to pay duty, but it was half price :lol:

Good luck :beer:

You are over thinking everything, just follow Pezzy's example.

I'm from the school were I would rather have prepared everything for nothing then having nothing prepared and improvise...

In the mean time, I have figured out what I will do... Since my deal with the guy for a used locker fell through (he wanted to much for a 6 Yo locker), I have decided to buy it new, but to have it shipped to freeport fowarding http://www.freeportforwarding.com/index.htm . They offer a service where they will accept a package for you for 3$ until you come and get it. So this way I save shipping fee (since the shipping is free in the usa from where I buy it), then I'll follow the idea of going dinner and probably go shopping for christmas anyway. I'll just put the locker in my parts bin ... I'll let you how this worked soon.

• 2 weeks later...

You're on your own for the potjie...

Arcteryx gear, I looked at their website, and they're at 3 of my favourite stores... Mountain Equipment coop, and Europe Bound, they're both downtown, right across from each other. And Coast Mountain Sports, who have locations all over.

sweet and thanks. I actually have a location of the potjie somewhere.. it's in TNT area.. i'll have to go to another site and look up the location. :D

well... I decided after ALLLLLL this to just bite the bullet and have it delivered to my office... so i'll pay the duties and the delivery... I thought that it was taking too much of my brain space !... so I loose 150$ for piece of mind...

since I don<t have a 3rd diff on my truck, this should be the last time I buy a locker....

throw it in your parts bin and answer no.

i've taken dozens of parts and what not accross.. only once did i have an issue and had to pay tax.

If its made in the states, you don't have to pay a terif, but you do have to pay sales tax.

(due to the nafta)

I'm from the school were I would rather have prepared everything for nothing then having nothing prepared and improvise...

In the mean time, I have figured out what I will do... Since my deal with the guy for a used locker fell through (he wanted to much for a 6 Yo locker), I have decided to buy it new, but to have it shipped to freeport fowarding http://www.freeportforwarding.com/index.htm . They offer a service where they will accept a package for you for 3$ until you come and get it. So this way I save shipping fee (since the shipping is free in the usa from where I buy it), then I'll follow the idea of going dinner and probably go shopping for christmas anyway. I'll just put the locker in my parts bin ... I'll let you how this worked soon.

i do that aswell at a place in washington, except they charge $5 a package, but heck it works well.