Thorley Headers Wtf

Tungsten

I finally got these things installed but now I have a leak. The leak comes from the 2 piece coupling at the cross over pipe. I'm not sure how I can fix this problem.

1. Welding is not good because they are coated and coated pipes don't weld well. Also, should the pipes have to be taken apart for removal, they would have to be cut.

2. Clamping or crimping doesn't work well as they are 16 gauge steel pipes.

3. Any high temp silicone just melts right off.

I am thinking to just put lots and lots of muffler cement into the coupling and hope it seals. Or if anyone has a custom 1 piece crossover pipe they can send me that would be cool.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how did you score the coated ones? last I heard they were not making them at all any more.

I have the same Issue. They are supposed to be welded, per the instructions. But on the advice of Koveman I used Ultra Copper Silicone as a sealant. To do it properly you have to remove the passenger side crossover bolts and slide it out of the other side a bit. Then you can get a good surface to get some silicone in there.

It still melts a bit, but it sealed up my leak and horrible lawnmower sound pretty well.

The problem is they don't instruct to do anything. In the directions they don't even say weld the pipes or anything. They just say insert one into the other. You can check the installation PDF on their website if you don't believe me.

The problem is they don't instruct to do anything. In the directions they don't even say weld the pipes or anything. They just say insert one into the other. You can check the installation PDF on their website if you don't believe me.

weird. mine had the welding instructions on it.

maybe they figure it will just fuse together over time or something....

actually I was thinking about that too. do you think it would work?

its been said, it has been used to repair a cracked engine block....

I'd think a skilled mechanic/welder could grind off just enough to weld it up....but I'm not certain.

Take a pic? (i don't have headers, so Im working off of what ppl have described it as)

I sealed mine up with a 2" (or 2.25" , I can't remember) clamp designed for semi truck exhaust stacks. Its available at Napa. Instead of a regular U-bolt type clamp, its a stainless steel sleeve that's 3 or 4 inches long and covers the joint on either side about an inch or so. Just crank it down to the stops and it'll conform to the different wall thicknesses and seal it up.

I sealed mine up with a 2" (or 2.25" , I can't remember) clamp designed for semi truck exhaust stacks. Its available at Napa. Instead of a regular U-bolt type clamp, its a stainless steel sleeve that's 3 or 4 inches long and covers the joint on either side about an inch or so. Just crank it down to the stops and it'll conform to the different wall thicknesses and seal it up.

do you have a part number or picture? that sounds good

JB Weld!

I've done that to my Eclipse, it don't hold the greatest there( is a hard spot to make a good clean surface for it though in JB Weld's defence)

As for the band clamp JJ is talking about, they are great for stuff like that, they hold the exhaust togher on the 6500 Chevy at work and still shine like brand new

Yep....that's how some of the exhaust tubing is done on my buddy's twin turbo Mustang. Really slick system. Works incredibly well. Not cheap, for a clamp, but will solve the issue 100%

Yep....that's how some of the exhaust tubing is done on my buddy's twin turbo Mustang. Really slick system. Works incredibly well. Not cheap, for a clamp, but will solve the issue 100%

lol, ok, so what is "not cheap for a clamp"? $50?

FYI Thorley does not make the ceramic coated headers anymore for the WD21, it is actually a nickel coating that is designed to heat up and meld into the steel pipe.

That said I am currently working on the exact same issue, I am going to be checking with a professional welder to see what if any problems the nickel will pose.

Stay tuned.

The size (OD) of the pipe from the passenger (right) side is 2.007". That sleeves into the expanded tube of of the drivers side pipe (2.160" OD, 2.011 ID) so it becomes the collector.

Just took those measurements off of my set in the garage, and so it is written.

I'll look for the right clamp tomorrow, this had me a bit perplexed.

B