68 members have voted

1. 1. how may years

• -1 (its ok guys, learn and grow)
    • 1-3 (I'm guessing the majority)
    • 3-9 (good!)
    • 10+ (yay for loayalty)
    • 15+ (wow)
    • 20+ (anyone else?)

So I was wondering who holds the title for "Longest Pathy Relationship" Feel free to post even if you are not the longest, this is not exclusive, just fun.

multi votes enabled so you can vote for all your pathys.(Slick! Kingman, B, many others lol)

Q:Define relationship?

A: thats a little fuzzy, didn't have to own it the whole time but it still has to be close to you. Give a short bulrb about your relationsip if you like...

As of this december my pathy relationship will be 20 years.

My dad bought my pathy new 89 with the intent of handing it down. I grew up with the rig always thought it was awesome and only liked it more when it was finally mine. Dad always had profesionals work on the rig and kept it in tip top stock condidion. I do a vast majority of the work and am still modifying it. my pathy likes to be fussy every time I change something and usually its a totally unrelated problem. For example;

after the headders went in, the steering pump failed

after the new ignition went in, the injectors failed

after the overhead conlsole went in, the t-case blew its seals

the list goes on...

(I also wanted to try out the poll feature on the new forum, appeantly It can show who voted what so we'll know the self voters in TOTM lol)

Edited by MY1PATH

Bout 10 or 11 years now.

My dad bought it my last year of grade school and gave it to me when I graduated highschool (only because he bought a new car though)

I hated it at first because I wanted to buy myself a motorbike, but he refused to cosign a loan.

After a few years it grew on me (or maybe we grew on each other), and I can't imagine being without it now.

I ended up getting a motorbike anyways on my own credit, so in retrospect it was a good thing that my dad gave it to me.

I bought my Pathy in June of 2002, after a terrible experience in RICE, i.e. rice'd up and tricked out Honda Prelude.

But I'll use a mulligan and blame it all on my previous Nissan rig to that, a 1985 Kingcab 4x4 with the Z24 4 banger that I finally sold at 255K miles after me, my brother, and my grandfather (who bought it brand new in '85) drove the wheels off of. I had stuffed 31's under it with no lift but a sawzall to the front fenders. It still ran great, started every time, and even turned a couple heads thanks to much polish and wax and pimp American Racing chrome rims . :)

I cant believe I've had my pathy 5 years. My ex actually suggested I look at the pathy's when I couldn't find a Fronty to fit my criteria & budget. I wonder if he ever regretted that suggestion. LOL! I've never regretted my decision(s). :)

Well, I'm on my second pathfinder now, having driven the first one for at least 4 years. Before that I drove a D720 with the z24 motor (like Mr P) for 10 years, that sold me on Nissan trucks as it was the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. Since my 'new' pathy just hit 100k miles and I only drive it 8-10k miles a year, I expect to drive it for a decade +.

B

Dad bought my 93 back in 98 and gave it to me when I was in highschool in 2004-5ish. I remember when we first got it I hated it, but it grew on me :)

Got my 95 XE in november 2007. My parents told me if I paid for it outright they would pay the difference in what it would cost to get it on the road. I've beend driving it daily ever since.

Got my newest acquisition in February 2009 with the intent of learning how to fix it myself, completely without taking it to any shops.

I expect my current DD to drive at least another 5 years with the way she is running now. OEM parts (if I can get them) all the way!

I've had my for 10 years now. 206,700 miles.beat the hell out of it for 150,000 miles. then discovered this website and the joy of wrenchin on it. has damn near stock everything. have only replaced the parts that are expected to wear out tires, alt,starter, shocks. I always said I would get 200,000 then get rid of it. but can you just stop @ 200,000? I DON'T THINK SO!!!! It is a daily driver, I may drive it for the rest of my life. I love this truck.

I've had my for 10 years now. 206,700 miles.beat the hell out of it for 150,000 miles. then discovered this website and the joy of wrenchin on it. has damn near stock everything. have only replaced the parts that are expected to wear out tires, alt,starter, shocks. I always said I would get 200,000 then get rid of it. but can you just stop @ 200,000? I DON'T THINK SO!!!! It is a daily driver, I may drive it for the rest of my life. I love this truck.

How old are you?? :D

B

clap.gif

beer.gif

I too plan to get another 20 years out of this rig.

I'd like to do the same thing with mine but no doubt the hippie tree huggers will outlaw our type of vehicle soon :(

How old are you?? :D

B

According to his profile he is 31.

OOOhh, i'm likin the new board!! how shiny :)

anyway... my first pathfinder, i've had for about 3 years now, and my 2nd, i've had for around a month :). I'm definitely not one of the longest owners, but my first pathy was the first vehicle i have ever worked on at all. Before it i had never even put air in another car/trucks tires! I've learned so much with my 87. Starting with my first oil change, to my timing belt, water pump, entire cooling system... the list goes on. And i did it all on my own. :) Mostly with a 20 dollar "Team Mechanics" toolset from walmart. haha

i've upgraded to some great Craftsmen tools now (My team mechanics, and beginning of craftsmen collection got stolen outta my pathy about 6 months ago... Bastards!)

Anyway. I've had two vehicles, both being pathys, and i never plan on leaving nissan, or pathfinders, for that matter!

-Zepp

Bought my 95 in February 1997 after I finally got a real salary. It was kind of an urgent buy because my car had died. I knew I wanted an SUV to go offroad and it was a toss up between Pathfinder and 4runner. The Pathfinders were cheaper so that is the way I went. (Plus Pathfinder's didn't have saggy rear end issue of the 4 runners) It was difficult to find a 5sp with 4 wheel drive because too many soccer moms and yuppie dads had started driving them instead of the more practical minivan. First thing I did when I got it was run it into the woods and put some scratches in it, so I wouldn't have to worry about it in the future.

Anyhow, got it at ~40k and now at 201+k. I'll have to say this has been the most reliable, lowest maintenance vehicle I have ever owned or probably will ever own. I've neglected it, abused it, and drowned it, but it keeps on ticking. I won't tell you how much is still stock and working so I don't jinx myself. The majority of the upgrades you see in my signature were just done at the 200k mark. If I could go out and buy a brand new one just like it, I would do it in a second. This one has stood the test of time and I hope to get another 100k out of it.

They really don't make'm like this anymore.

Sitting on 18 years. Mine's only a '91 so that's about as good as I can get. Unbelieveably reliable vehicle for its age and mileage. I just fitted my forth set of new tires and third set of shocks over the past couple of weeks. At this pace the body and frame are going to expire before the drivetrain. That my friends will be a sad day. Another t-belt, water pump etc, etc, service will be due in 12-15,000 miles. Mine is my daily driver it has only left met stranded two times (starter in a perfectly flat parking lot, and a snapped compression rod). Wilson I have you by about 2 or 3,000 miles currently. The longevity of these vehicles is impressive.

A few words of advice for those realtively new into their pathgrinder relationships, follow the recommend service intervals and watch out for the common issues specific to these vehicles on this board. These guys and gals know their game when it comes to the Pathfinders.

Love the new board!

Bought mine fresh out of college, 1st time I could actually afford to buy anything. I knew I wanted 4 wheel drive and not really big into trucks, I like something I can sleep in if I have to.

I saw an add at a lot for something I don't even remember what it was but it was supposedly 4WD. When I went to look it was a 2WD and I said no-way. The sales dude said he had a 4WD PF still in the service shop being cleaned up, traded in the day earlier. I took it for a test drive and bought it.

That was in 1999 with 80,000 miles and have had it ever since with no plans of getting rid of her. She left me stranded only once, when the tranny died suddenly with no signs at all of impending doom.

This pathfinder is my first car and I bought it when I was two years into my first full time job after graduating. I could barely afford her with my salary: I worked at the Bank of Nova Scotia in Toronto and they were/are(?) very stingy with their loans (and salary!!).

Ontop of that I had to have mine special ordered from Japan: there were no Manual Transmissioned SE painted Black Emerald to be found in Canada. I had to wait three months to get it. But it was worth it! By the look of things, as the truck was built in Japan, Nissan put on JDM rack and wind deflector. I haven't seen these in my travels; I really should take some pictures of them.

The rack is quite beefy and uses a "Security" Allen key screw driver that locks down the bars. (there are two screw drivers provided in a fabric bag. nice touch!). The wind deflector is much more rounded than the flat plate looking deflectors that I see on the pathfinders sold here. Maybe I got lucky?

After 208K km, I just had the transmission bearings replaced and the whine that I had for four years is gone. The transmission feels brand new!

I just love the look of this truck!

• 1 month later...

Got my 1990 SE thanks to my wife wanting me in a bigger safer vehicle than my '84 RX-7.....from a rinky dink used car dealership on a street corner (I know...worst place to buy a car...and its true!) It had a lot of problems that we discovered shortly after the purchase, that THEY had hidden or lied about, but I wanted it pretty bad so we sucked it up and I learned how to do a lot of work on it myself (besides having to get a new clutch, and on a 4x4....not cheap).

Long story short, it had 205,000 +/- miles on the odometer at the time, we paid too much for it, but....as 2009 comes to a close now, I still have it....with 250,000+ miles on it. Still runs great, the AC crapped out 2 years ago, only had to buy tires for it once so far, replaced knock sensor myself, added some accessories like a brush guard and better nerf bars, etc etc.....no power steering at the moment but thats just a new high pressure hose away, and I still love it.

Original engine, and transmission and transfer case. Never had to replace the brake rotors...only the brake pads....once so far (because unlike my wife and her vehicles shes had, I know how to BRAKE NORMALLY!!)

I have more faith and reliability in my 1990 5 spd Pathfinder with 250,000 miles on it than I do my wifes 2006 Chrysler Pacifica that just rolled over 40,000 miles......that thing is a hunk of @!*% that has been through more repairs (covered by warranty thankfully!) than my pathfinder since I have owned it (aside from the clutch job).

Long Live the Pathfinders! (and yes I have been airborne in it while romping through a new neighborhood nearby that is under development...before the houses were built.)