CV AXLE

PATHRIDER

seems that im replacing my cv axle every year and the problem is the boots always tearing up..What brand do you guys prefer? what seems to last longer on lifted pathy?

I always buy my cv axle at autozone

Its $64 at napa ..I was thinking of rebuilding my spare one since the only thing wrong with it is the outer boot, its not bent or anything.... how hard is it to rebuild them? or is it even worth it rebuilding them?

Edited by PATHRIDER

seems that im replacing my cv axle every year and the problem is the boots always tearing up..What brand do you guys prefer? what seems to last longer on lifted pathy?

Its $64 at napa ..I was thinking of rebuilding my spare one since the only thing wrong with it is the outer boot, its not bent or anything.... how hard is it to rebuild them? or is it even worth it rebuilding them?

Maybe install the diff drop kit from 4x4 parts. this will slightly reduce the angles on your CV and thus reduce wear.

the kit is 40 bucks but the install is kindof a pain.

Maybe install the diff drop kit from 4x4 parts. this will slightly reduce the angles on your CV and thus reduce wear.

the kit is 40 bucks but the install is kindof a pain.

I was thinking of doing that but not till summer...on the other hand I managed to get the boot off of a spare one I have and what I was thinking is when I install the new boot Im going to use metal zip ties instead of the one provided with the kit..I think the metal zip ties is about the same width as the factory cinch clamp.

what im thinking of doing when I install the new boot is not stretch it like the factory does when the rebuild this axles..im going to push the smaller part inwards towards the bigger part this way its not so stretched...what do you guys think?

How much SL are you running? That seems pretty bad for wear if they're going every year. How long have you owned the truck, and/or how many have been replaced? Do you run with them engaged all winter? I'd doubt so in Spokane, though I bet you use them regularly. Hmmm I'm on the other side of the mountains, though I use my rig either on the trails or skiing. I had a boot tear and just repaired it (split boot band-aid kit), which failed then I replaced that one 2 years ago and then the other side this last winter, but my truck has 173,000 miles so that's no biggie. Both were around $60-65 from Napa. IMO looking at the factory service manual, for the time and effort involved to change out the boot, you might as well just change the whole shaft.

I have a 3" sl and running 33's with another 3" bl..Ive had the truck for 5 years now and so far Ive replaced it 3 times , first 2 times I bought the axle from a junkyard and the 3rd time was new from autozone. I think ive replaced the passenger side once and the drivers side twice and this would be the 3rd time on the drivers side, I have not checked the passenger side yet. I do run them engaged all winter and just this last winter we had a real bad winter, Thomas (casey t.) knows...lol

I managed to get the boot off of the spare one I have and it wasnt so bad . It mustve taken me 10 mins total, that includes getting the boot off and the axle apart.the hardest part is cleaning the old grease but nothing a roll of paper towel couldnt handle...Im going to try that route and mark the date when I install it so I know this time for sure. Hope it last a bit longer

Not worth rebuilding , all though it maybe be alot cheaper .

pay the extra 40-60bucks and buy a new one , there on some online stores that have

cv axles for a low as 30 but now that's cheap and you get what you pay for .

pay the extra 40-60bucks and buy a new one , there on some online stores that have

Its actually super easy to rebuild them, saved me atleast $40 and it took me about an hour..The part that took the longest is cleaning the old grease but I learned that using a small plastic spatula to scrape the grease off first then probably half a roll of paper towel to wipe it clean.

I wouldnt suggest doing a rebuild on axle that is already clicking prior to removal Im going to rebuild the one thats coming off of the pathy later and take some pics on the process. I thought at first its going to be hard but after messing with it the other night found out that it was easy..I think aaron has a write up on this axle rebuild but I couldnt find it.

007829.jpg

Edited by PATHRIDER

I disagree, as long as you haven't done any damage to the CV joint and there isn't too much dirt in the grease there is no reason not to just replace the boot. You can buy replacement boots from rockauto.com for about $8 each, vs a new cv joint at $64.

If the cv joint is clicking though, yeah it's time to buy a new one.