Pre Cut window tint... Has anyone tried it?

JohnMasters

OK, I finally received the front passenger window tint that I needed to finish the job. There was still some dew on the truck this morning when i took the pics and it could be washed but you should get the idea.

There are still some minor issues that I need to fix such as some light leaks on the back glass around the hinges, shock mounts and vertical defrost lines along the left and right side of the window.

Overall for the money I am very satisfied.

th_IMG_2085.jpgth_IMG_2086.jpgth_IMG_2087.jpg

Edited by JohnMasters

Nice.

I just got mine in the mail so maybe this weekend I'll give it a shot.

I got tint kits for both my pathfinder and my Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, so I'll be doing the mobster caddy first as a testing bed, then the pathavoider.

I'll post up my results... hopefully I'll have the patience for this.

Wow you guys are brave. I actually just tinted my windows on my 95 last weekend. After a very frustrating endeavor of tinting one of our house windows a few months ago I figured that for $175 and a lifetime warranty it was worth having the professionals do it. I did 35% on the front driver and passenger and 20% the rest of the way around and it made such a difference driving in 90 degree weather. The AC doesn't have to be on Max anymore, and my kids don't instantly burn in the back seat now! Its worth doing no matter which way you get it done!

I also did 35% up front and 20% in back. I wasnt sure whether to do 20% or 5% in the back but 20% is absolutley dark enough.

That Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance sounds like an interesting project. All of the windows look pretty flat including the back window. I wonder, if it is in fact necessary to heat shrink the back film, if that vinyl top would get in the way.

5% tint is perdy dark. I did a 7" windshield strip on my pathy today and driving home tonight i could barley see through it when lights hit it. Glad i didnt go with the 2.5%. Thinks ima do the back doors and cargo area windows tomarrow in 5% if i have enough tint. Tried to do the drivers door in 35% but gasket messed me up and i ended up tearing the tint so i tossed it. Gotta get some more and try it with the door panel off. Only thing im not sure about is my sun roof. It looks like it would be real tough to do the inside cause of the pieces for the cover to screw onto. Is there a special type of tint for exterior use or would i be fine with the same stuff im doing on the inside?

I finally got around to reading this thread and its making me want to finish removing my old tint.

I have tried the trash bag and ammonia (Phew stinky), I've tried the hair drier, I've tried whiskey. The best thing I've found is a good old razor blade.

http://www.amazon.co...eywords=scraper

Lisle makes my favorite. The blades are easily removed, quick and painless. And for razor blades I stock up on these 3.00 blades from harbor freight http://www.harborfre...9/category/427/ I'll scrape off as much as I can and throw the blade in a bucket when it starts feeling weak (i usually go threw about 10 blades a window). I usually keep a bucket on a chair with the door open (all the old tint goes in there) and the blades too (empty the trash into a cardboard box to avoid destroying a trash bag) . Takes about 10 minutes a window, if the adhesive stays on while pulling the tint off don't worry. Just spray with water and use a new blade and it will come right off.

Edited by MadMax2

the easiest way to remove tint if you dont have a steamer would just be a simple blade and some soapy water. i went to school for jonshons window film and learn theres alot more to it than you would think but the simplest things are when your shrinking it try to shirnk it on the outside first throw a lil soapy water on the window and lay it on there theres a plastic film side and then theres a window film side you want the plasctic on the outside youll notice it when you heat it the tint with get like a little z action at it starts to shrink that the direction you want to go in to get the fingers out it does it in that direction cause the film is meant to shrink in that direction dont try to fight it itll jsut crease or leave little cracks in it.when your takin out the wrinkles stay about six inches from the film so you dont over heat it ive actuallyinstalled precut films before and also had a plotter that i woold pre-cut film for people and its a bit diff. doin it yourself but if you guys have anyquestions please feel free to contact me. hope this helped somebody

• 3 weeks later...

i have paitence but to a limit, i have tinted triaxles and flat glass and it isnt as easy as it seems, my first time i destroyed the tint because it all stuck to its self, plenty of spray and an easy hand in cutting the tint with a razor makes a difference, however i am willing to pay to have it done professionally so i dont have wasted money in tint

one way to remove tint on the rear window with the defroster, from how a tinter told me is to spray the glass down with an ammonia based window cleaner than cover the glass with a garbage bag and let it sit out in the sun, than you remove the bag and it is supposed to take the tint with it and not harm the defroster lines. Never tried it so no idea if it actually works.

On my vehicles I usually do 20% all the way around., just my preference, not so dark that you can't see through it at night and the windows all match each other.

Edited by ahardb0dy