Working on my Pathy again - Good stuff

MrJim

The guys did a great job restoring my Pathfinder. Now I am back on the case making it better than it was before I lost it 4 years ago. I ordered a 9500 lb winch yesterday to go back into my ARB Bumper. I like having that "do over" ability that a winch gives you when you are 40 miles in the wilderness by yourself in the snow. :) Um, yeah....

I also noticed that my steering stabilizer was non-existent on the trail run we did in Tahuya. I was feeling every little bump from the rocks in my hands and it was challenging a few times to stay on course because of that. So I took it to Les Schwab and told them I used to have a steering stabilizer on it and I wanted one again (cause I briefly looked under it and did not see it at glance). Three mechanics there tried explaining to me that you cannot put a steering stabilizer on a Pathfinder because it has rack and pinion steering. I glazed over the rack and pinion thing at first, but told him that it did have one on it and it was a Rancho. He and the other 2 guys carefully explained to me (like I was a child) how a Pathfinder has only a small rod on each end that has no way of attaching a stabilizer to it. I finally went out and opened the hood and looked in (they had had it up on the rack for an hour) and I could plainly see the old stabilizer sitting right there in the middle. It was leaking obviously and that explains why I thought it was gone, but how the heck does 3 mechanics not know what a stabilizer looks like? I took it in to get my tires rotated and they told me that it needed a new idler bar on the steering. If they don't know what a stabilizer looks like, how are they going to tell me they know anything about the rest of it. Crazy...

So I did order a new stabilzer at the other location in Marysville where I have always had my work done. They are the same location where I ordered my winch. The manager told me he would charge me 1 hour labor to install it (sucker). That ARB bumper is a beoch to pull off, install winch, and reinstall. :)

I have had an account with them for years and have a flat payment that I make monthly. So it really doesn't impact me monthly to order this stuff. It will take me longer to pay it off, but its no money upfront and no more monthly than I am already paying. Works for me.

A NPORA member built the last sliders I had on my rig that got taken off and sold while in the junk yard. I feel really naked on the rocky trails without those, so I am going to be on a quest to get those back on there soon. I may see what a local metal shop would charge.

Oh, I went to the Department of Licensing yesterday and got my old license plates ordered again. "MRJIM" will be back on there in about 6 weeks. They gave me a temp plate made of paper that says "MRJIM" on it and its posted in the back window. They said it was still assigned to me, but has been dormant since 2005. Cool...

I walked around in a salvage yard for awhile yesterday looking for ideas, parts, etc. My rear springs are from a lifted Bronco and they give me lift for sure, but don't give much flex. I can put any weight on the rear and it will squat the tires before the rear of my rig will go down. I would rather have some better flex. I took a stock Pathfinder spring in hand and walked around looking at different rigs. The old F150 trucks had one that looked a little less stiff, but still pretty heavy thickness. I saw the rear coils from an Aerostar (I know), and it looked like a possibility. It was the same diameter as the stock Pathfinder, only longer. I would have to cut the last curl off each end to make it fit, but ??? I am still looking around.

I really really want to lock my axles one day. Mine is limited slip, but it is not so limited anymore. :) A friend told me that he hadn't worked on a Pathfinder, but he has worked on other LSD differentials where he replaced the clutch bands/discs? and he added extra ones that pretty much locked the axle. I know its not the best plan, but if it gave me better traction offroad - I would do it. I'd prefer to just lock the front and rear. What are the best (cheapest) ways to do this guys? I have been out of the loop for 4 years so I don't know all of the options that may be out there now. Ideas?

Good to hear your once again making it "yours" :aok:

I could not believed it when you told me what the said about your steering yesterday... especially after they looked at it :blink:

We never really looked at your SS so it may very well be blown, a new cylinder will remedy that :beer:

I'll get back to you about the sliders Jim, there maybe an option there...

The most commonly used options for springs are JGCC (Jeep Grand Cherokee Coils) they are the ones from the front and you would either cut the top coil off or heat and bend it out, to match the others. F150's are also used.

There is a bunch of info we found out about Jeep Springs, some of which can be found here: Coil Springs

Rebuilding the LSD is possible as is adding extra clutch disks, as far as I know. And I "think" that someone here has done it too.

If you want to lock it, the most common rear option used would be a Powertrax Lock-Right locker. I have one installed in a replacement axle in my garage (just have not bee able to put it in yet. Derek and Mike also have them (installed), along with many others here. But to use it you would need to get a carrier from a NON-LSD equipped Pathfinder, because you cannot install them in an LSD carrier.

AS for the front, about the only option you have there (short of a SAS) is to get the LSD w/carrier from an 87-89 Turbo 300ZX (They use an R200 rear end which is what our front diffs in the V6's are) and install it in the front diff housing.

Good to hear your once again making it "yours" :aok:

I could not believed it when you told me what the said about your steering yesterday... especially after they looked at it :blink:

We never really looked at your SS so it may very well be blown, a new cylinder will remedy that :beer:

I'll get back to you about the sliders Jim, there maybe an option there...

The most commonly used options for springs are JGCC (Jeep Grand Cherokee Coils) they are the ones from the front and you would either cut the top coil off or heat and bend it out, to match the others. F150's are also used.

There is a bunch of info we found out about Jeep Springs, some of which can be found here: Coil Springs

Rebuilding the LSD is possible as is adding extra clutch disks, as far as I know. And I "think" that someone here has done it too.

If you want to lock it, the most common rear option used would be a Powertrax Lock-Right locker. I have one installed in a replacement axle in my garage (just have not bee able to put it in yet. Derek and Mike also have them (installed), along with many others here. But to use it you would need to get a carrier from a NON-LSD equipped Pathfinder, because you cannot install them in an LSD carrier.

AS for the front, about the only option you have there (short of a SAS) is to get the LSD w/carrier from an 87-89 Turbo 300ZX (They use an R200 rear end which is what our front diffs in the V6's are) and install it in the front diff housing.

So that is all good information. Thanks. I didn't know that about the Nissan 300z... I will look into that. I saw a bunch of Jeeps at the salvage yard. They didn't seem very long though. I don't want to loose much height. The f150 springs looked long enough, but they are so thick that I worry about stiffness with them like what I have now. I am curious about that Aerostar spring. It looks like the same thickness as the factory Pathfinder spring, only its longer. Out of the ones you suggested, which do you think would be best to keep good height, while softening my suspension some? I could loose up to a couple of inches in rear to level it out a little, but that's all I would want to lose. I am liking that 300z idea. I wish you guys lived closer so I could grab some parts and head over... :)

By the way, I heard my ex is really irritated that I got my Pathfinder back. She said she hoped I drive it off a cliff. :) I'm gonna miss her... :rofl:

By the way, I heard my ex is really irritated that I got my Pathfinder back. She said she hoped I drive it off a cliff. :) I'm gonna miss her... :rofl:

:rofl: What a peach....Or something that rhymes with peach.

I've got the lock rite locker in my 91 and LSD in my 93. Lockers are awesome :aok:

:beer:

Bout your spring decisions......look on a local jeep site for some Rough Country Jeep CHEROKEE front 3" lift coils. Cut the pig tail off, and they give you a perfect 3" (i too have spare tire carrier and 4dr, and they gave me 3" ...34" to 37"

I got mine mildly used for 45 dollars from a jeeper, and personally, they are GREAT, very comfy, and from what someone else said (beastpath maybe?) they are softer than stock, and fairly long so they let you get max flex w/o having to worry bout losing em...

ive got a rear locker and love it totatlly worth the money.... and it just so happens i have a open carrier but its got the 4.3 gears on it that i have no need of. so that could work for your locker option.... and your more then welcome to have it under the condition that we go wheeling sometime.

Bout your spring decisions......look on a local jeep site for some Rough Country Jeep CHEROKEE front 3" lift coils. Cut the pig tail off, and they give you a perfect 3" (i too have spare tire carrier and 4dr, and they gave me 3" ...34" to 37"

I got mine mildly used for 45 dollars from a jeeper, and personally, they are GREAT, very comfy, and from what someone else said (beastpath maybe?) they are softer than stock, and fairly long so they let you get max flex w/o having to worry bout losing em...

Thanks for the info. I will look into that.

ive got a rear locker and love it totatlly worth the money.... and it just so happens i have a open carrier but its got the 4.3 gears on it that i have no need of. so that could work for your locker option.... and your more then welcome to have it under the condition that we go wheeling sometime.

Wow, that would be great! I am always ready to go wheeling too... Email me at stillafloat@ymail.com and we can work out the details. Thanks...

So I took it to Les Schwab...
I think you answered your own question.

There are alot of JGC springs but it seems the V8 ones were the ticket although some folks have found them under V6 ones. IIRC, they're .56-.57" thick.

As far as flex...

post-253-1255222018_thumb.jpg

congrats jim on getting your truck back. i have a locker if you need it. i'm going full width on my s.a.s so don't need my rear locker anymore. let me know if your interested. i wasn't able to help out money wise on the rebuild do to money constaints so this could be my contribution.

congrats jim on getting your truck back. i have a locker if you need it. i'm going full width on my s.a.s so don't need my rear locker anymore. let me know if your interested. i wasn't able to help out money wise on the rebuild do to money constaints so this could be my contribution.

Wow, that would be awesome!!! Will you email me at stillafloat@ymail.com. I would LOVE to have that. Thanks so much...

I think you answered your own question.

There are alot of JGC springs but it seems the V8 ones were the ticket although some folks have found them under V6 ones. IIRC, they're .56-.57" thick.

As far as flex...

FYI, I can get those for $16.50 each if anyone needs them. That is the price for any spring at Pull-a-Part by my house...

Hey Jim, remember when I rode along with you, I was commenting on the stiffness of the rear ride in your truck. I've done the Jeep Grand Cherokee swap year ago as well over the Ford coils, and my result is the opposite - I can flex to the point that I'll rub my 32's with those springs in back plus a 3" body lift. I actually ripped out a mounting bolt for my fender flairs at Tahuya, it was that much. I'd 2nd the thought of looking into front lift springs for a Jeep for your rear, since you'd need to cut them down and/or heat and bend the pigtail to fit them anyways and you mentioned you liked the ability to tow. I'd bet that would get you a happy medium of flex and still have some stiffness. Mine is fairly sloppy unloaded on the street, mostly because of the action of the locker on pavement. I might actually do the same at some point for my springs.

I just wanted to publicly thank aries247 for what he is doing for me. He is going to meet me in North Bend on Sunday to give me a complete rear locking differential, ready to install as a gift. Wow... Thank you again and I will put it to good use. :)

Hey Jim, remember when I rode along with you, I was commenting on the stiffness of the rear ride in your truck. I've done the Jeep Grand Cherokee swap year ago as well over the Ford coils, and my result is the opposite - I can flex to the point that I'll rub my 32's with those springs in back plus a 3" body lift. I actually ripped out a mounting bolt for my fender flairs at Tahuya, it was that much. I'd 2nd the thought of looking into front lift springs for a Jeep for your rear, since you'd need to cut them down and/or heat and bend the pigtail to fit them anyways and you mentioned you liked the ability to tow. I'd bet that would get you a happy medium of flex and still have some stiffness. Mine is fairly sloppy unloaded on the street, mostly because of the action of the locker on pavement. I might actually do the same at some point for my springs.

Well, I noticed this week that one of my rear shocks was completely blown out and the other was worn out (60,000 miles), so I installed a set of MonoTube Shocks for a lifted truck yesterday and instantly the ride is better. I know the guys had to install the sway bars to pass state patrol inspection, but that could be the reason for no flex at all on the rear and an easy thing to experiment with. I don't mind firmness, but do want flex. I am going to pull the rear sway bars and test it this weekend.

I just wanted to publicly thank aries247 for what he is doing for me. He is going to meet me in North Bend on Sunday to give me a complete rear locking differential, ready to install as a gift. Wow... Thank you again and I will put it to good use. :)

I've only met him once and got the impression that he was a good guy them (easy to get along with, willing to help others) and as it appears,he still is that guy.

If we ever have the chance...

Remind me to buy you a beer :beer:

Well, I noticed this week that one of my rear shocks was completely blown out and the other was worn out (60,000 miles), so I installed a set of MonoTube Shocks for a lifted truck yesterday and instantly the ride is better. I know the guys had to install the sway bars to pass state patrol inspection, but that could be the reason for no flex at all on the rear and an easy thing to experiment with. I don't mind firmness, but do want flex. I am going to pull the rear sway bars and test it this weekend.

Lifted = longer shocks, correct? You will notice a difference in flex with the sway bar disconnected (when coupled with the longer shocks)

ON what Mr P said about JGC lift coils, I'd agree. I had standard JGC coils in my truck, but with my VERY heavy rear bumper/tire carrier, They were only about .5" longer than the stock coils, but obviously a heavier load capacity. Check out some of the pics of my truck flexing.....there's a few around.

:clap:

Now that is cool!!!

B

Lifted = longer shocks, correct? You will notice a difference in flex with the sway bar disconnected (when coupled with the longer shocks)

Well, yeah I know... I had had air shocks on there from before than had great reach, but they only lasted about 80k miles. Not bad really. They didn't have a list to work from for lifted Pathfinders for a good part number so I they measured and ended up just picking best fit with longest reach off their shelf.

Glad to see you cranking the wrenches again Jim! I think its time you started your members ride page and drop some pics on us of all the changes!!!

Oh, I will. I am waiting to take several pics at once. Soon....