TV Brands

Nytrosfinder

Getting one for the dorm What do you think?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Choose a TV Manufacturer

• Vizio
    • Sony
    • LG
    • Sharp
    • Samsung
    • Panasonic
    • RCA
    • Other- Post the other with specifications

Ive had great luck with Toshiba as well. The one in my room personally is a Vizio and I have never had any problems with it either. If your looking for a medium priced LCD or Plasma then Id give Vizio a look.

Thats what I am considering!

We've got a few Toshibas around my house and they're fairly old and work wonderfully. Too bad Zenith went under, damn Japanese stealing technology and selling it cheaper elsewhere...

I have had great luck with Panasonic electronics. I regularily ask at stores what brand has the least returns and this is always one of the first brands mentioned. As noted in the other post I bought a Viewsonic as I thought this companies background was suitable and the price at the time was hard to beat.

Yes Panasonic is one of the best brands I dealt with and Sony is one of the worst. I back my claim because I have both Sony and Panasonic products. I have a Sony TV, a Sony MP3 player, and some other Sony stuff. There is always something annoying about Sony but nothing is ever annoying about Panasonic.

I know some people with Sharp TV sets and they are just simply amazing for the dollar.

I got a Westinghouse. $600 at BJ's lol. 1080p LCD 42". Not too bad and hasn't given me any problems. Hopefully it won't. Only complaint is HDMI doesn't come out all that good. I'm getting a better picture out of my Component cables than I am my HDMI cable.

I tend to look at the features more than the brand. I bought a Kolin lcd 27" 1080i about 6 years ago when lcd first came out and it was like 500 bucks vs one that was a big brand name like sony which was like 1100. Mine also had more features and seemed to have a better picture. Idk I have just had better luck getting off brand tvs but my parents like their 65 hitachi tv 1080i but it is also from before 1080p. But i would look at spec and warrenty over brand name

Specs to look for (1080p, constrat ratio, ATSC and NTSC tuners, hdmi inputs, fiberoptic inputs, component imputs ,and maybe a few rca and svideo inputs, also look at the refresh rate) if you dont know what some of this stuff is google it its good to know when buyin a tv or monitor.

If you get something to flashy though make sure you lock your room i have known people at my college getting targeted for theft due to that.

Edited by edicer2

I'll re-assert my recommendations

1. Samsung: Great quality, and I believe the best quality for your money. Might not be the cheapest, but they're not the most expensive either. My parents have one and haven't had any complaints with it (a 42" 1080p LCD model). I have a number of friends who also have Samsungs and they don't have any complaints either.

2. Sharp: AMAZING image quality if you get an Aquos model. So far they have the best image quality I have seen in person. But they are slightly more expensive than Samsungs.

3. Sony: Great image quality, great features, but carry an increased price tag because it says Sony on the front. Only purchase one made within the past couple of years. Older models are crappy because they were playing catch up with the rest of the industry.

Two brands I don't recommend:

Westinghouse: I bought one of these. For the first year it worked great. Then it ran into major problems. Now it won't even turn on half of the time, and when it does work it won't display blacks correctly.

Vizio: Unless you're buying their top of the line model it's going to be crap. It will last until about a month after your warrantee expires and then it will crap out on you. This is a mass produced TV with poor quality control so more TV's can get shipped out and they can make money based upon bulk sales.

Just about any non name brand TV that is priced significantly lower than their competitors. Remember you get what you pay for!

panasonic viera. I think thats how you spell it. 115cm what ever that is in iches. But been great. Sound isnt the best from the unit but i have a chead suround sound unit that is really good...

Huh...all I have is a 2004ish flat screen sanyo...it works great other then a slight shadow in the right top of the screen(note I did this by being a dunb ass and holding a magnit up to it...dont ask why because I truelly dont remember the reason I did it.Other then I was a dumb ass) But I hear good stuff about vizio...I loaded a lot in to peoples cars at wally world and I think only 3 people brought them back because out of the hundred or so that I loaded.

ive had my 40-something" LCD Toshiba for less than a year and i love it. The picture quality is great, the TV looks great overall, and for only $850 at costco it sure as hell beats $2000+ for a good samsung with the same specs.

although i should mention that the $2000+ samsungs do have better HD quality than Toshiba. My friend has a $3000 Samsung and the HD is so good that it makes me want to throw up. like i get motion sick when i watch it. But im still not paying 3 g's for a TV

I work at Panasonic factory in Tijuana I can say the quality standars are very high even for a TV I guess thats why they are so good TVs

Viera LCD are going to be Made at Asia net Year all you can buy from this year is manufactured at Mexico

I am working for the qulity team thats why I suggest to you this brand

Not meaning to dis you, nismothunder, but the reason Vizios don't get returned is because they die like two/three months past the end of the warranty period.

Also, be wary of Walmart!!!! I looked at a 32" Vizio there that was the same price as one at Sears - only difference was the "w" in the model number - same price. Another look showed that the Wally-world Vizio lacked P-in-P, a whole input cluster, and some other vital stuff. FOR THE SAME PRICE as the Sears one???? what's up with that? shoulda been $100 cheaper. Walmart wants to shave points off unit price buy buying thousands, but that only works one way - guess which way - in their favor, since most people who buy from them assume they're automatically getting the best value at the lowest price. It's not true.

The regular (non w) model still turned out to be crap too, though. I got lucky - it died a whole 8 months after the warranty was out. $600 gone.

I now have a Toshiba 40RV525U - bought at a local furniture store that gives us regular dudes credit - for $899 plus another 100 for a total repair or replacement 4 yr warranty.

Even if you get a recommendation from Ramon, I'd still invest in the warranty. The technology is evolving too fast to trust.

Even if you get a recommendation from Ramon, I'd still invest in the warranty. The technology is evolving too fast to trust.

I HIGHLY agree with that because its not worth risking.... I plan on getting as big a warranty as possible!