Rough Starting

skippa

Hi guys. I have an R50 with TD27T. Lately it has been running rough for 5-10 secs after startup. It always starts quickly, idles at ~1200RPM for a second or so, then the revs drop and it sputters and struggles for 5-10 secs before returning to normal again. During the rough running it produces smoke, and behaves as if it is misfiring. It does not smoke the rest of the time.

There is no noticeable performance drop off when driving, and this issue is only apparent when cold starting.

If this were a petrol engine I would have thought it was the automatic choke or something, but I am not sure where to start with the diesel.

Any ideas for what this could be? - glow plugs? dirty/faulty sensor of some type?

Well i'm working my way through a process of elimination now.

Removed the MAF sensor and cleaned, and while I think I have noticed a slight performance increase, it hasn't fixed my smoky rough start up. Recently changed the fuel filter, so I don't think it is that, but I did go back and make sure the priming pump was rock hard, which it is.

I have seen some mention of an "idle solenoid" problem with similar symptoms so that may be next on the list.

At this stage I dont think it is the injectors because it doesnt smoke the rest of the time, and seems to have good power. Don't think it is the glow plugs either because it always starts first pop. Not until a second or two after start do the revs drop and it go through its 5 second rough smokey idle routine before returning to normal.

Problem fixed. I decided it was a possiblity that one of my glow plugs was gone, allowing the engine to fire succesfully, and then miss for a few seconds while the cylinders warmed up. Removed the plugs to check and sure enough, one was dirty and discoloured. Replaced all four with new ceramic glow plugs at NZ$56 each (US$41). Started cold this morning without a hiccup.