Oil Filter Relocation Kit

Tungsten

Ok I found a good kit from Summit Racing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-1122/

However the thread is in English units and not Metric so idk wtf fits here. :scratchhead:

Also I decided to do single and NOT dual because I don't want to overload the stock oil pump.

Edited by Tungsten

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used the Hayden 291 oil filter relocation kit (also available on Summit). It came with 4 thread adapters to match the block. 3/4-16, 13/16-16, 18x1.5 & 20x1.5. I measured the 3 thread adapters I didn't use and appears I used the 3/4-16 for the install. (Hard to measure internal threads accurately with calipers) You can verify this by buying a Fram PH8A (known 3/4-16 thread) and see if threads onto the block ok or you can measure the threads of the filter you normally use. Might be best measure with thread gauge to get accurate/sure measurement.

Do they make one of these for R50's? And how the hell would you route the hoses?

Not that the filter is hard to get to, it's just that it's damn near impossible not to spill oil all over the steering gear and front crossmember (and the ground, the dog and the cat, and any adjacent turtles) when wiggling the filter out

Ok I found a good kit from Summit Racing: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-1122/

However the thread is in English units and not Metric so idk wtf fits here. :scratchhead:

Also I decided to do single and NOT dual because I don't want to overload the stock oil pump.

That looks about like the beast. BTW I found the easiest way to do it (I also did a single filter relo) was to mount up the hoses, adapters, etc. to the mounting filter plate thing, but leave them loose on the other end and tied/taped together, then thread on the mounting plate to the block and twist all the lines along as you go. Granted, I have a body lift so I could easily stick all the stuff out the wheel well. Then go back pull up and and tie in the lines where they go. The rough instructions I got were to the effect of put the plate on by itself way up there under the exhaust where you can't see, then reach up and hook up the lines with hose clamps and such one by one, then move on. F that for sure.

I just did mine last night with the Summit Racing uni-one Part #SUM-4985 I believe. Pretty self explanatory but getting the adapter plate on was a PITA. After that it was pretty much smooth sailing just until the point where you start it up and clench your @$$ hoping that you don't have a leak.

• 3 weeks later...

meh i got the kit off summit and now i don't want to use it, for me its easier to put something on the starter to cover it when replacing the oil filter and o yea the filter clears the headers fine idk why you guys have a problem with it

i will try to return the kit back to summit and if i can't if anyone wants it ill send it to you, just pay the shipping which should be like $10

i will try to return the kit back to summit and if i can't if anyone wants it ill send it to you, just pay the shipping which should be like $10

If you can't return it, you are just going to give it away? I'll take it if you just want someone to pay for shipping. Please let me know. Thanks.

i can't find a place for it, my preference is to change the filter with something like a sheet of cardboard protecting the starter because i can get it in even with the headers in place

i can't find a place for it, my preference is to change the filter with something like a sheet of cardboard protecting the starter because i can get it in even with the headers in place

Here is another Idea. If you have a Manual Transmission. Should be able to get a single filter on with an Auto though.

f_filter1m_3b89488.jpg

f_filter2m_3e863de.jpg

f_filter4m_eb153ea.jpg

LOL, the first two I can see, but near the tranny is an issue?? Your tranny moves around a lot??

His set up is well protected, I plan to do something similar. The only real failing that I can see is that the way he has them mounted, he has to use a stock size filter (small). I have a single filter set up but use the PH8A type filter that has at least 75% the filtering area of both of his... :shrug:

B

LOL, the first two I can see, but near the tranny is an issue?? Your tranny moves around a lot??

His set up is well protected, I plan to do something similar. The only real failing that I can see is that the way he has them mounted, he has to use a stock size filter (small). I have a single filter set up but use the PH8A type filter that has at least 75% the filtering area of both of his... :shrug:

B

Actually the filters are further from the transmission than they look in the photo. If it was really that close I would not be able to remove the filter cause as I unthread the filter it would hit the transmission. Also I ran 2 smaller filters initially, now I am running one stock pathfinder filter an a small one. I plan on using a ph8 and a small filter in the future. I already had bought a bunch of stock pathfinder filters so I want to use them up. Still have plenty of room from the transmission. I have been running this for well over a year and have not had any issues with it. Not a scratch scuff or dent in either filter. In this place it is actually further from exhaust and the wheels than the stock position.

Mark

Edited by msavides