WHOA NELLY

wilson

So I put a set of JGC springs in the back and I'll be damned if I didn't get 3 inches of lift. mind you thats three inches above the ass dragging height it stood at before. As soon as I droped it off the stands I jumped on the rear bumper to give er a test. well it is incredibly stiff. not sure if I dig that. but the really interesting thing is That as the rear comes back up it stops abruptly with a thud. I assume that this is the shock reaching its max extension. The trucks rear actually sits at the full extension of the shocks while at rest.

So I figured I would take it for a spin to see how it works. Well a sweeping bumpy highway ramp@ 65mph was interesting. but the real capper was a speed bump @ 2mph. after compression there was a really loud BAM! and then a couple more as the truck bounced afterward. these I assume are from the shocks reaching full extension.BAM!BAM!BAM!

Well I'm no rocket surgeon, but this can't be good. these babies are gonna tears themselves apart!

so do I need longer travel shocks? what's a good one? or could it be something else? It definitely feels as though it happens on the expansion side of the stroke.

thanks

wilson

LOL, I'd say you nailed it... Literally!!! :D

There are a few threads about the new length/travel of shock to get. Lokk in the pinned garage section and/or use the search function. If you can't find it, let me know...

The ride may be softer once the springs can extend all the way.

I think the Rancho # is 912 for stock, 9116 for lifted?? Don't quote me on that.

Well I'm no rocket surgeon

That's rocket scientist, or brain surgeon. :itsallgood:

Rough Country's Hydros are front #8109 and rear #8105 and they are $29.95 each. Or their Nitros are front #9109 and rear #9105 and they are $34.95 each. Rough Country's shocks are made by Heckethorn.

That's rocket scientist, or brain surgeon. :itsallgood:

I say it "rocket surgeon" on porpose because it agrivates peopel to not say one or the other :aok:

Personally don't know the part #'s but yea, you definatly need some longer shocks if your totally stretched parked on the normal. Ride should get a little better afterwards as well, heck you don't even know if your getting the full lift or not out of your coils yet!

I got a set of Pro-comp 324509s. I understand that rancho and these are made by the same company. these are a little shorter than the rancho 5112s.I was afraid of my springs poppin' out with to much down-travel. I don't do a lot of serious offroadin' so I felt the 5112 may be overkill. alas now I'm lookin to the front......

Nice, yeah 5112 sounds right for Rancho, but I heard the same schpeel from the local 4WD shop that they also make the Pro-Comps. Apparently while there are many brands of shocks, there are just several companies that *make* shocks and then rebadge them.

I wouldn't worry much about popping out your springs. I've run mine for 5+ years and stretched them to the point the tire is below the body and frame, with no issues. I've also heard of guys adding in some simple tabs at the spring mounts bottom and top, just something to keep them in place.

DSC01848.jpg

DSC01849.jpg

DSC01853.jpg