Where have all the Nor Cal Wheelers GO?

msavides

It has been a while since I have visited NPORA,

Were did everyone go.

I have not been wheeling in ages. And I missed my Rubicon trip due to my Camini Idler Arm bushings Going to hell. (There is always next Year)

Looks like many have either moved away, Broken Down, Or sold their Pathfinders.

Anybody New to the forums to take their place?

I have been suffering from lack of motivation and energy to work on any of my vehicles. I need a reason to get motivated, Anyone Plan on wheeling? Lets organized something!!

Mark

haha i moved to san luis obispo (central coast) aaaand i just bought a solid axle so i'm tryin to save money and sloooowwwwly work on it. so i probably won't wheel much :/

see exactly! everyone is gone. Only wheelers around me left drive jeeps. I don't want to have to stoop to wheel at their level. :)

Glad to hear your going to try a solid axle. I will consider it when I see a design I like that won't mess up the suspension geometry too much.

I will be interested in checking yours out when it is done.

Mark

I'm in the process of fixing up my second Pathy, but it is going slower than I would prefer. Too many other things to do (garage is full) and it's my daily driver so that makes it a bit harder also. The good news is I have almost everything I need laying around (UCAs, JGC springs, Grassroots CL, idler arm brace, Thorley headers, Arb bumper, etc), now I just need to get it all bolted on... :blink:

B

I'm in the process of fixing up my second Pathy, but it is going slower than I would prefer. Too many other things to do (garage is full) and it's my daily driver so that makes it a bit harder also. The good news is I have almost everything I need laying around (UCAs, JGC springs, Grassroots CL, idler arm brace, Thorley headers, Arb bumper, etc), now I just need to get it all bolted on... :blink:

B

Well hopefully you find the time to get that stuff done so you can do some wheeling. Looks like we will end up being the last of them left around here. I am not sure what happened to Enjoi. He was installing a calmini steering system last I heard. I wonder if he ever found that LSD he was looking for. Maybe sc88 will get his tranny fixed and we can get up to 4 in the area again.

Mark

see exactly! everyone is gone. Only wheelers around me left drive jeeps. I don't want to have to stoop to wheel at their level. :)

Glad to hear your going to try a solid axle. I will consider it when I see a design I like that won't mess up the suspension geometry too much.

I will be interested in checking yours out when it is done.

Mark

Mine won't be anything special. i'll probably only put 35s on it. i don't wanna do too much crazy wheeling. i'm just tried of broken steering and broken cvs. my main reason for swapping is reliability.

i'll just have leaves up front (stock waggy packs that i got w/ the axle) and i'll probably be too poor to do anything fancy with the rear so i'll just throw some coils and shocks in it and call it done (for a while at least) and i'll probably do most of the work myself. i'm tryin to do this on the cheap! cheap and good of course. so that means it's gonna take a while.

oh and i literally live 5 minutes away from Poly Performance!!! i'll get most of my parts from there.

Well hopefully you find the time to get that stuff done so you can do some wheeling. Looks like we will end up being the last of them left around here. I am not sure what happened to Enjoi. He was installing a calmini steering system last I heard. I wonder if he ever found that LSD he was looking for. Maybe sc88 will get his tranny fixed and we can get up to 4 in the area again.

Mark

There is someone in SF (can't remember the name right now) and I thought there was someone in SJ (maybe that was Enjoi?), but yeah, not a lot of us for the large population in the area. sc88 will get his tranny fixed when someone brings one over and installs it for him... :lol:

Yes, I would like to do some wheeling soon; I'm trying to plan out all this work this weekend (and get a start on it all).

B

There is someone in SF (can't remember the name right now) and I thought there was someone in SJ (maybe that was Enjoi?), but yeah, not a lot of us for the large population in the area. sc88 will get his tranny fixed when someone brings one over and installs it for him... :lol:

:rolleyes:

I am planning on doing it myself. I don't have the money right now though. When I do it will happen. So far though every time things brighten up for me financially they come crashing right back down. Until then I'm always down to ride shotgun with Enjoi. I'll badger him into going. He got the Calmini HD Steering installed and got the CV's fixed on his blue D21, so he has no excuses now.

:rolleyes:

I am planning on doing it myself. I don't have the money right now though. When I do it will happen. So far though every time things brighten up for me financially they come crashing right back down. Until then I'm always down to ride shotgun with Enjoi. I'll badger him into going. He got the Calmini HD Steering installed and got the CV's fixed on his blue D21, so he has no excuses now.

does he still have that open rear diff?

LSD would help so much with a manual transmission. Unless he can get used to wheeling a Manual. It is really hard to make the transition wheeling a Manual after you have been wheeling for so long with an Auto. Limited slip will help his wheel hop problem.

Edited by msavides

I am planning on doing it myself. I don't have the money right now though. When I do it will happen.

I know, just razzing you... ;)

Limited slip will help his wheel hop problem.

I've heard wheel hop attributed to leaf springs and poor suspension... :shrug:

B

does he still have that open rear diff?

Yeah he's still open rear.

I'd trade him my LSD for his open if I could afford a lock right. (Assuming of course we have the same gear ratios)

Depending on how my new job goes that might happen by early next year

I know, just razzing you... ;)

I've heard wheel hop attributed to leaf springs and poor suspension... :shrug:

B

Maybe I am using an incorrect term. By Wheel hop I when climbing up an incline and one of your tires comes off the ground and that wheel spins and you lose momentum. and roll back until the tire comes back on the ground and gains traction violently. then the cycle continues.

It ended up breaking His brand new half shaft.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't been online much. Yea the truck is ready and still open open. The rear is leafs and its a hardbody issue, trying to find a way to flex out the rear since there's no weight in the rear. I dont have blocks in the rear but an added leaf. Front sway is off and rear is broken but still on there. Currently been having tire issues trying to get some decent tires. Right now I got 32's. Still looking for an LSD but havent really been looking too hard. haha.

• 1 month later...

Holy crap I guess it's kind of a sad state of affairs around here.I was a casualty of the lamest economy since ever and with a new bundle of joy around the same time recovery has been slow.But I still have it and slowly but surely it'll be back on the road-I cant get rid of it!for what a jeep or a 4runner?long live the pathfinder!

yeah, money's tight for me right now too :[

anyway, i know some nissan guys are gonna be goin to prairie city on the 6th at around 10 AM. Nismo5 from rugged rocks invited me. you can try gettin at him on that board if you guys wanna wheel.

• 1 month later...

well i know for my part, my engine went out so no more fun. i have had it sitting in my driveway for months debating on selling it. not trying to jack this thread (sorry) but is there anyone in the bay area or central valley who has done an engine swap? i am seriously debating doing one on my path, but would like it to stay pretty cheap. i could possibly rebuild it, it didnt blow up on me but i got a bad rod knock and stopped driving it. if anyone knows someone or maybe has a good engine, please let me know so i can start wheeling again!!! you can get me by PM, or email me (torqmonster06@yahoo.com) or for those social butterflies out there, look me up on facebook or myspace under Nigel Souders. again, sorry if this is the complete wrong place to do this, but i know alot of the local cali guys would be reading this

If you want to go crazy there's a 97 pathy on CL right now in SF for $1000. The body is thrashed but the engine and transmission are supposedly good. You could have an 88 with a VG33! :D

Maybe you guys can go in together on it. one take the engine and one take the transmission.

Just trying to get 2 wheelers back on the road.

Mark

Hey CB, I have a motor in a 95 with 132k on it, new timing belt at 108 and it runs perfectly. Actually, I think it runs better than the one in my other 95. I was going to keep it or sell it; undecided.You would just need the motor though as all your sensors are different. Maybe be can work something out or I can help you find a motor or whatever. Crashed 95 here locally, 100k on it, runs and drives, $650...

I'll send you an email later.

Mark, I think Andrew needs some silly limited year tranny and can't easily swap in the standard re01BFD or whatever the common one is. Good try though... :shrug:

B